Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin vs Total Recall

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    You misunderstood. I'm saying that nobody is against unions, in general, having bargaining rights. That's not at all what the WI fiasco was about. Although the public sector labor unions there were forced to accept some accountability to their bosses (the public sector) rather than providing their own "oversight" from within. It's not nearly the same thing.
    No. I don't misunderstand. I just know what the facts are and what the chart of the past 30 years looks like.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Hate is a strong word.
      The counter argument:

CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Um, I'm pretty sure galley slaves are an argument for why we need unions...
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          *****http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/9/9e/HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg******

Maybe for the first week it existed.
          For the first month or so, probably. Then it became pure astroturf for this weasel and his paymasters.

*****http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/08/28/article-1306961-0AF3CBC5000005DC-645_634x412.jpg******
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Exactly, the public sector unions in Wisconsin still have bargaining rights over working conditions; their right to bargain wages and benefits has been curtailed, no other rights were "taken away" except mandatory dues collection from all.
            Could you cite some source for this info? Everything I've seen published in the paper here in Wisconsin stated that the only thing the union could still bargain was wage increases, and that those would be limited to the cost of living. You also keep stating that there were union dues taken from all employees, which is simply untrue. The vast majority of administrative employees in union represented positions were not members of the union and did not pay dues. Granted, blue collar employees have long been fair share, and paid dues whether a member or not, and new administrative hires would also pay dues. The last I knew the courts said that the state would have to continue to collect union dues automatically from a member's paycheck.
            "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Sure. The destruction of the middle class is fine. Just don't tax a job creator.
              Unless that job creator is starting their own business, and competing with someone larger that can pay for lobbyists and influence taxation policy.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                Geez, I'd like to have ten bucks for every time one of these lib crepe hangers mentioned the Citizens United decision.
                ...a decision that only applies to federal election law, and has no bearing whatsoever on spending in Wisconsin state elections.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

...a decision that only applies to federal election law, and has no bearing whatsoever on spending in Wisconsin state elections.
                  I'm curious as to your legal logic as to why the reasoning used for federal election law does not also apply to state election law, given that the states also subject to the First Amendment. A decision on a federal law may very well create precedent for similar rulings on similar state laws.
                  Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                  Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                    I'm curious as to your legal logic as to why the reasoning used for federal election law does not also apply to state election law, given that the states also subject to the First Amendment. A decision on a federal law may very well create precedent for similar rulings on similar state laws.
                    Sure...

But the fact of the matter is, in this specific case, of the millions of dollars spent in this election, guess how many of those dollars could have been spent pre-Citizens United?

100% of them.

That decision had nowt to do with Wisconsin spending.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      People agreeing with you (unions should have bargaining rights in this case) isn't necessarily enough to get them to the polls in greater #'s than the opposition.
                      But did people agree with them? Polls seemed to say no. Exits here:

Support Limiting Collective Bargaining: 52%
                      Oppose Limiting Collective Bargaining: 47%

Which seems awfully close to the final horse-race numbers, hey? I think it's whistling past the graveyard to some extent for the takeaway to be "People agreed with us, they just didn't vote". It's not like Walker won 'cause liberals stayed home.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        Except that there is no opposition to the statement that "unions should have bargaining rights."
                        Except that's what Walker did - "Public unions should have no collective bargaining rights except for COLA's up to the inflation level." Oh, and police and firefighters? By all means, go ahead and unionize since you normally vote Republican.

No right to bargain on salary increases past inflation. No right to bargain on benefits, pension, or anything else.

Seems like opposition to the notion that "unions should have bargaining rights" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Except that's what Walker did - "Public unions should have no collective bargaining rights except for COLA's up to the inflation level." Oh, and police and firefighters? By all means, go ahead and unionize since you normally vote Republican.

No right to bargain on salary increases past inflation. No right to bargain on benefits, pension, or anything else.

Seems like opposition to the notion that "unions should have bargaining rights" to me.
                          Evidence? (Honest question, I'd be surprised if that's true).

The Dem Lt. Gov. candidate last night was head of the Firefighters Union, for the record.

State's largest police union endorsed Barrett as well...

I strongly disagree with Walker's decision not to include police and fire, but the idea that it was political seems dubious.
                          Last edited by WeWantMore; 06-06-2012, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                            Evidence? (Honest question, I'd be surprised if that's true).
                            There's no other reason for them to be exempted that I can see. It surprised me too, but why else did Walker exempt them?

I suppose it could have been an attempt to limit the damage - cops and firefighters can rally voters alot more than teachers or paper pushers. If you exempt them, maybe they're less likely to rally against him?
                            Last edited by unofan; 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

States still have to abide by the 1st Amendment. If the Federal government lost on 1st Amendment grounds, what makes you think states will do any better?

Comment

From what I've seen in MA, Cops and Firemen get A LOT more aggressive in regards to protesting, threats, goonism, etc when it comes to contract issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X