Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten officially announces tournament sites

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...041912aac.html

Looks like the Big Ten is doing what it can to freeze out the new league. Curious to see what the new-look WCHA will do.

Re: Big Ten officially announces tournament sites

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...041912aac.html

Looks like the Big Ten is doing what it can to freeze out the new league. Curious to see what the new-look WCHA will do.
    There are a couple different options that the WCHA is exploring, including playing opposite the Big 10 at the Joe and the X. Other sites are being considered as well.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Good choice,those 2 sites make the most sense.

Comment

Ah yes, the conspiracy theories arise. It's also possible that this was the best compromise that could be reached between Big Ten teams to ensure fairness for their own league, without any regard to where other leagues might play. Obviously the prestige of the conference removes any chance of having to compete for a venue with the WCHA, but I doubt they even bothered to think about what other leagues will do.

And this is the right way to go for the B1G. Both venues will be able to draw (mostly different) fans and produce good tournaments. I hope the non-annual nature of the sites won't damage the attendance.
        Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          There are a couple different options that the WCHA is exploring, including playing opposite the Big 10 at the Joe and the X.
          They should!

Big Ten hockey causes all of this mess of conference realignment and goes and uses the CCHA and WCHA tournament venues for the next 4 years. Interesting.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            There are a couple different options that the WCHA is exploring, including playing opposite the Big 10 at the Joe and the X.
            That would make some sense. I hope it happens.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

There's no way the new WCHA would come close to filling either venue, FWIW. However, they have the flexibility to look at places like Grand Rapids, Toledo, or Green Bay that wouldn't be realistic for old WCHA.
              Jesus Saves

Comment

Did I miss something? Did the NCHC say they were gonna back off of the X? Unless they made an announcement I hadn't heard about, I've got to imagine they're more in play for the X in odd years than the WCHA
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                  Did I miss something? Did the NCHC say they were gonna back off of the X? Unless they made an announcement I hadn't heard about, I've got to imagine they're more in play for the X in odd years than the WCHA
                  I was hoping they'd go to Siberia.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                    There's no way the new WCHA would come close to filling either venue, FWIW.
                    True, the X was filled because of Gopher and Sioux fans.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      I was hoping they'd go to Siberia.
                      I heard Sullivan Arena... which is close to being in Siberia.

Comment

'The National' should be playing in big markets, not small ones like the Twin Cities.

They should be booking MSG for their tournament.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I've heard the NCHC has been looking at the Target Center in the Twin Cities as a permanent host for their tourney. With Duluth, St. Cloud, North Dakota, and Omaha within driving distance this makes sense. Denver and CC always fly anyway and that leave Western Michigan and Miami. After attending the WCHA toruney at the Target Center while the X was being built I can say it's not the best place to watch a hockey game but it is a great area as a fan to enjoy themselves.

it would be interesting if this happens to compare attendance at the Big Ten Tourney vs. the NCHC tourney.

I have not heard of a site yet for the new WCHA tourney.

All I know is the Big Ten ruined the best college hockey tournament in the country in the WCHA Final Five. Every fan that I talked to this year complained about how they will miss it in two years including Minnesota and Wisconsin fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
                            I've heard the NCHC has been looking at the Target Center in the Twin Cities as a permanent host for their tourney. With Duluth, St. Cloud, North Dakota, and Omaha within driving distance this makes sense. Denver and CC always fly anyway and that leave Western Michigan and Miami. After attending the WCHA toruney at the Target Center while the X was being built I can say it's not the best place to watch a hockey game but it is a great area as a fan to enjoy themselves.

it would be interesting if this happens to compare attendance at the Big Ten Tourney vs. the NCHC tourney.

I have not heard of a site yet for the new WCHA tourney.

All I know is the Big Ten ruined the best college hockey tournament in the country in the WCHA Final Five. Every fan that I talked to this year complained about how they will miss it in two years including Minnesota and Wisconsin fans.
                            The National has not hired a Director of Operations yet. I wonder how that plays into getting their post season tournament figured out. I would guess they are making less progress on that than the WCHA. The Director should be hired shortly here...I think by the end of the month.

Something that I have noticed: so far all we have heard is that Target Center is interesting in hosting the NCHC tourney. Dont believe we have heard official interest from the NCHC. Perhaps because they are still hiring people in the front office.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I'd rather see the NCHC there every other yeat than the Target Center every year
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                              X