Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 992

Thread: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

  1. #21
    Ever True since '92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Some New England rink or another
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    Kdiff: Good post. I agree with your thoughts.
    I would add that while the O has no real proven star coming back like Harry, Jack or Volpatti in prior years, the youngsters show a lot of promise. I look forward to Lorito having a break-out year after his first year injury and adjustment slowed him down; his linemates may be critical in his development, and he and Roy have the potential to be a dynamic duo. Jacobson has potential to be an All-Star with more experience. You are right on the money with Zaires. This coming year can be his year to take over as he certainly has showed he is capable of doing so.

    D could have problems once you get beyond Robertson and Wahl. Prior posts indicate that one frosh may have the ability to jump right in, Pfeil. Goalie situation really scares me. I have heard nothing about Roy. Is he an "under the radar" type recruit like Danis apparently was? Is it too late for Brendan to bring in some hot prospect? Union brought in Chris Stevens around this time last year and I would be very happy if he were Brown's goalie.
    That we have no true star on offense would be beneficial, I think- IF Whittet designs an offense that utilizes a "sum of its parts" strategy, rather than having a single catalyst for all offensive production (look to the Bruins and Rangers for examples of the "sum of its parts" approach; neither would be considered the most talented team in the league, but because they have a team-first mentality, they have been two of the more successful teams this year).

    Clearly, the last few years have revolved around Jack Mac and Harry Z, but without such a prolific presence on the ice, I think we could get away from reliance on a single individual.

    As for your comments regarding defense, I agree. We could be looking at a season like Harry Z's senior year, where we scored plenty of goals but let in wayyyyyy too many. Hopefully one of the goalies steps it up and can be a reliable game-changer.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    685

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff77 View Post
    Goaltending is perhaps the biggest concern. Unless there is some stud freshman coming in, it would appear the job is DeFillippo's to lose- and that's a scary thought, given his inconsistency.
    Derick Roy's (Kevin's brother) goaltending stats:
    https://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=160525

  3. #23
    Ever True since '92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Some New England rink or another
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by Euler18 View Post
    Derick Roy's (Kevin's brother) goaltending stats:
    https://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=160525
    Eh. That doesn't exactly scream "starter" to me.

  4. #24
    Brown Wins!
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Albany, NY USA
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Transfer question - Brown, as with the other Ivies, does not appear to encourage or seek out transfers into its programs. The only one I can think of going back through the early80s is Michael Bent who transferred in from Harvard. Any thoughts as to why?

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    685

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff77 View Post
    I'm SO sick of the Ivy Showcase. I think we discussed this last year, so I won't get too into it, but I'd way rather play a couple Hockey East teams (hell, let's play Providence twice! Home-and-home Mayor's Cup series!) so we get a new, refreshing challenge, rather than just losing to Dartmouth for the 50th time since Gaudet left Brown.
    Brendan Whittet has decided that the Ivy Showcase, which Brown is hosting this year, will be played as a real tournament, with the winners of the Friday games playing each other for the championship and the losers playing for third place on Saturday.

    With the concurrence of PC coach Nate Leaman, in 2013-14 Brown and PC will resume their old home-and-home series, probably on consecutive nights as part of a Mayor's Cup Weekend that would include other parallel activities.

    Two forward-looking moves by Coach Whittet.

  6. #26
    Brown Wins!
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Albany, NY USA
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder


  7. #27
    Ever True since '92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Some New England rink or another
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by Euler18 View Post
    Brendan Whittet has decided that the Ivy Showcase, which Brown is hosting this year, will be played as a real tournament, with the winners of the Friday games playing each other for the championship and the losers playing for third place on Saturday.

    With the concurrence of PC coach Nate Leaman, in 2013-14 Brown and PC will resume their old home-and-home series, probably on consecutive nights as part of a Mayor's Cup Weekend that would include other parallel activities.

    Two forward-looking moves by Coach Whittet.
    Hey! I'm a mind-reader!

    Good moves by Whittet. Should make both events more exciting.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    685

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    DEFENSEMAN DENNIS ROBERTSON TO SERVE AS 2012-2013 BROWN CAPTAIN

    As expected, rising junior defenseman Dennis Robertson has been chosen captain of the 2012-2013 Brown men's hockey team. Seniors Richie Crowley, Chris Zaires and Frank Drolet, and junior Garnett Hathaway will serve as assistant captains.

    https://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...20120508reqfxo

  9. #29
    Ever True since '92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Some New England rink or another
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    It's not often that you see 4 assistant captains...in fact, I don't know if I can remember ever seeing it before!

    Interesting that Drolet was nominated, given his general lack of playing time throughout his career.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff77 View Post
    It's not often that you see 4 assistant captains...in fact, I don't know if I can remember ever seeing it before!

    Interesting that Drolet was nominated, given his general lack of playing time throughout his career.
    SLU did it a few years ago.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    154

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    With the 2012 recruiting class having accepted Brown's offer of admission, the 2013 recruiting class is now taking shape. Two players to watch are Tyler Wood (defenseman, Nobles) and Zack Pryzbeck (left wing, Salisbury), big, physical kids, who are on the NHL Central Scouting list. Tyler's father is Randy Wood (Yale'86), who had a thirteen-year career with the NY Islanders, Buffalo, and Toronto.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    146

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    Here we go!! A tip of the hat to Bruno for the title.

    For an initial comment, here is some info Bruno came up with:

    Johnny Gaudreau - 2010 - 2011 USHL Dubuque Fighting Saints Regular Season - 36 - 36 - 72 points

    Kevin Roy - 2011 - 2012 USHL Lincoln Stars Regular Season(2 games to go) - 52 - 48 - 100 points

    I am trying to control my excitement.
    Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but saw this and figured you all would want to see... https://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...l-he.html#more

    Next season Roy is slated to attend Brown University, but sources tell TPS that may not happen. Now before you rush out and buy your Kevin Roy Quebec Remparts jersey, the CHL might not be his destination either. Patrick Roy has reached out to the Roy - no relation - family but so far they aren't interested in the major junior route. Roy's family really wants him to get an education while playing hockey and feel the NCAA is the best path. But Brown might not be it, after all when you count Yan Danis, Tim Bothwell and Todd Simpson as your top alumni, it doesn't exactly scream next level development. Instead TPS has been told the Roy camp is exploring getting out of his commitment and possibly playing for Boston University or Boston College if possible. If was a betting man I would bet against Brown, and while 4 years at BU or BC would be good for Roy's development, don't count out Patrick's pursuit in Quebec.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,193

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Not to suggest that the kid isn't anything but a total stud, but I believe Gaudreau was at least a year younger which does count for something.

  14. #34
    Teamwork Teamwork Teamwork
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Section 44, Matthews Arena
    Posts
    73

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    As an NU fan who was extremely excited about Gaudreau only for him to decommit from us, you guys have my sympathy in regard to the Roy situation. He looks like a real stud.

  15. #35
    Meehan Madness is Coming Back!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gano Street, Providence
    Posts
    1,352

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Roy could have been a cornerstone player for this program. Its too bad he ended up screwing the program over. He was a BU/BC kid all along and I thougth maybe he'd sneak through. Too bad. I dont think he's a Gaudreau-type of impact player at Brown like he would if he ended up at BC.
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

  16. #36
    Teamwork Teamwork Teamwork
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Section 44, Matthews Arena
    Posts
    73

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    i sincerely doubt he ends up at bu, they had to shuffle stuff and lose a recruit just to fit kurker in. can't imagine they'd be able to take on roy now.

  17. #37
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    3,185

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by Satanic Husky View Post
    i sincerely doubt he ends up at bu, they had to shuffle stuff and lose a recruit just to fit kurker in. can't imagine they'd be able to take on roy now.
    Good point, but is BC in any better shape on the scholarship front? If not, it may come down to what they can offer for years 2-4.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  18. #38
    Brown Wins!
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Albany, NY USA
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by Onion Man View Post
    Roy could have been a cornerstone player for this program. Its too bad he ended up screwing the program over. He was a BU/BC kid all along and I thougth maybe he'd sneak through. Too bad. I dont think he's a Gaudreau-type of impact player at Brown like he would if he ended up at BC.
    I am not ready to give-up on Roy. Brown has a lot to offer - top-flight Ivy League education; opportunity to be a high impact player immediately; terrific head coach who has Brown on the rise; and the ability to play with his older brother. The brother's presence at Brown may be the key factor.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    685

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by sigx15 View Post
    Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but saw this and figured you all would want to see... https://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...l-he.html#more
    If all that matters is to prepare Kevin Roy for a hockey career, it makes sense for him to go to BU or BC, or another school with a big time hockey program. In terms of hockey alone, Brown cannot compete with BU or BC.

    I think it'd be easier to understand what the Roy family is going through if we imagined a scenario in which Kevin was one of the smartest and best prepared high school students in the United States who, somehow, had been accepted early decision by BU or BC, before he was recognized with a plethora of academic awards. Brown, Princeton, and Dartmouth came calling on his parents and tried to convince them that their son's academic talents would be wasted if the kid went to a second tier university when he could be sitting next to the brightest students in the country and taught by an internationally recognized faculty -- not to mention his future income potential as an Ivy League graduate.

    The primary mission of the athletic programs at Brown is not to prepare young people to become professional athletes. The goal is for young people to receive a world class education while participating in athletic competition at the highest level. When the opportunity arises to play professionally, they should definitely pursue it, but knowing fully well that most don't make it and professional careers in general last only a few years. Let's not forget, for example, that Yann Danis was not only a two-time All America goaltender, but also an Academic All-America. Tim Bothwell graduated "magna cum laude." Etc. Kevin Roy should only come to Brown if he's interested in combining an unparalleled education with participation in a hockey program on the cusp of becoming a contender for the ECAC title and beyond. If the only goal is to play hockey, then BU or BC, or North Dakota, for that matter, will do. And I'd wish him the best.
    Last edited by Euler18; 06-01-2012 at 05:08 PM.

  20. #40
    Ever True since '92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Some New England rink or another
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

    Quote Originally Posted by Euler18 View Post
    If all that matters is to prepare Kevin Roy for a hockey career, it makes sense for him to go to BU or BC, or another school with a big time hockey program. In terms of hockey alone, Brown cannot compete with BU or BC.

    I think it'd be easier to understand what the Roy family is going through if we imagined a scenario in which Kevin was one of the smartest and best prepared high school students in the United States who, somehow, had been accepted early decision by BU or BC, before he was recognized with a plethora of academic awards. Brown, Princeton, and Dartmouth came calling on his parents and tried to convince them that their son's academic talents would be wasted if the kid went to a second tier university when he could be sitting next to the brightest students in the country and taught by an internationally recognized faculty -- not to mention his future income potential as an Ivy League graduate.

    The primary mission of the athletic programs at Brown is not to prepare young people to become professional athletes. The goal is for young people to receive a world class education while participating in athletic competition at the highest level. When the opportunity arises to play professionally, they should definitely pursue it, but knowing fully well that most don't make it and professional careers in general last only a few years. Let's not forget, for example, that Yann Danis was not only a two-time All America goaltender, but also an Academic All-America. Tim Bothwell graduated "magna cum laude." Etc. Kevin Roy should only come to Brown if he's interested in combining an unparalleled education with participation in a hockey program on the cusp of becoming a contender for the ECAC title and beyond. If the only goal is to play hockey, then BU or BC, or North Dakota, for that matter, will do. And I'd wish him the best.
    An excellent synopsis, Euler.

    However, you'd think he would realize that Brown is more than just a place to play hockey before committing, if that's really what he's going to school for. It's certainly not a slight on BU or BC, which are tremendous institutes that are really only a small step below the Ivies in terms of quality of education, but they are certainly known to take on more athletes who might not necessarily be interested in the academic aspect of college. And if Roy only wants a bridge to the NHL, he should definitely attend one of those schools.

    But, again, how would he not know that Brown isn't such a school?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •