Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston University

Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
    Congratulations to the Gophers for earning the number one seed in the Western regional?

https://newyork.sbnation.com/2012/3/1...selection-show

Evidently Jared Smith is clueless. Can't even pass on the most basic news. Which selection show did he watch?
    Perhaps he had a flashback to 2007, the last time Minnesota actually did earn a #1 seed.
    The worst part is "Boston" Terriers. I cringe when I hear Melrose call BC "Boston" as well.

Customized for Her Pleasure UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing's Avatar

Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    The worst part is "Boston" Terriers. I cringe when I hear Melrose call BC "Boston" as well.
    But...Melrose brings "passion" to the broadcasts. Whatever that means.
    Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers #1 View Post
    That correct, WCHA officials cannot ref a game involing WCHA team in the NCAA tourney, nor can CCHA do for CCHA team etc.
    Actually, didn't they do away with that rule several years ago? I know it's been the typical practice to not have refs from the same conference, but I'm pretty sure there isn't an actual rule regarding it.

Even though we cringe because we do not refer them this way, technically they are correct in calling BU "Boston."

Anything "Blank" University can be called by "Blank." Interestingly we never cringe when we hear Minnesota, Northeastern, or even Denver. We just happen to call BU by Boston University or, well, BU. However technically "Boston" is correct. Or, the almost just as cringeworthy, Boston U.

Let go Vikings go

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_MN View Post
    Actually, didn't they do away with that rule several years ago? I know it's been the typical practice to not have refs from the same conference, but I'm pretty sure there isn't an actual rule regarding it.
    I don't think they did away with that rule. I know it a rule in College football.
    Go Gophers Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gentry View Post
    Even though we cringe because we do not refer them this way, technically they are correct in calling BU "Boston."

Anything "Blank" University can be called by "Blank." Interestingly we never cringe when we hear Minnesota, Northeastern, or even Denver. We just happen to call BU by Boston University or, well, BU. However technically "Boston" is correct. Or, the almost just as cringeworthy, Boston U.
    Boston U would **** me off too. For whatever reason, I don't even like when guys like Brickley overuse "BC Eagles" and "BU Terriers" over the course of a game. How about just BC and BU?

It bugs me a tiny bit when broadcasters say "Denver University." It bothers me not at all when real people say it, since that is what the letters DU imply, but I think people who make their living (or even make money moonlighting) that way should learn not just the "technically correct" but the actually correct way to name the school. I have no opinion about BC or BU, but if the school doesn't wish to be called "Boston" on air, then they shouldn't be.

("Miami of Ohio" drives me out of my skull even though I'm not actually a Miami fan.)

I'm OK with "Boston College". What's wrong with "Denver University"? Is it "University of Denver"? Wouldn't that make you UD???

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by goldy_331 View Post
    After reading these accounts, especially Parker's comments I think I know what the real problem was - the crappy lighting in the old World Arena. If it had been better, Smith and the Gophers would have been able to see Meagher's halo and known that the spit was a gentlemanly sign of respect and good will and wouldn't have over-reacted to it.

I love that Meagher's defense (or defence) was that he was spitting at the Gopher players and not at the trainer.
    Funny you mentioned halos -- I was just about to post how amazing it is you can see the Gophers' halos all the way from 36 years ago! Eruzione "tagged Anderson with a wicked high stick," Anderson "caught" Eruzione. Micheletti "jostled," Meagher "whacked." Meagher "sprayed spit over the whole bench," Smith "reacted instinctively." Those poor Minnesota lads are lucky those prep school jerks didn't take out the imported Canadian shivs they all carried in their skates! (Psst! And still do! Don't tell anyone!)
    Bugs Bunny - 96
    Gas House Gorillas - 95

there's a good buck in that racket.

I'm OK with "Boston College". What's wrong with "Denver University"? Is it "University of Denver"? Wouldn't that make you UD???
    that is a midwest thing.. primarily with the big8. OU is university of oklahoma. NU is university of nebraska... so the others kinda picked up and applied the same logic.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by duper View Post

("Miami of Ohio" drives me out of my skull even though I'm not actually a Miami fan.)
    True, they should just use "dynasty" when referring to Miami of Ohio.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavalryNate View Post
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    that is a midwest thing.. primarily with the big8. OU is university of oklahoma. NU is university of nebraska... so the others kinda picked up and applied the same logic.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Driftryder View Post
    True, they should just use "dynasty" when referring to Miami of Ohio.
    I don't know what this means. I do know that the first page of Miami's media guide asks that they not be called "Miami of Ohio" so for the media to call them that is just ignorant. I'm sure there are other schools with similar things.
    Last edited by duper; 03-19-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Smile Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

Quote Originally Posted by duper View Post

I don't know what this means. I do know that the first page of Miami's media guide asks that they not be called "Miami of Ohio" so for the media to call them that is just ignorant. I'm sure there are other schools with similar things.
    It was a USCHO meme from a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavalryNate View Post
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.

Hibernating

I still would rather be a Badger--or a Bronco, in this case--than be a boy named Sioux.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
    My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerAlum@WMU View Post
    I still would rather be a Badger--or a Bronco, in this case--than be a boy named Sioux.
    I'm sure you'll be sorely disappointed to hear that there will be no boys named Sioux on the ice this weekend...now you will probably be able to find thousands in the stands.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
    But...Melrose brings "passion" to the broadcasts. Whatever that means.
    I was cooking and asked my wife to turn on the selection show on ESPNU. The first words out of her mouth were, "Oh My God, look at that guys hair!" She had never seen him before, quite funny.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Falling on fans at NHC since 2001
    Boston U would **** me off too. For whatever reason, I don't even like when guys like Brickley overuse "BC Eagles" and "BU Terriers" over the course of a game. How about just BC and BU?
    I am sure ESPN might have convinced you to believe otherwise, but Boston isn't the center of the sports world. And since BU doesn't have any other big time programs in other sports, most people probably don't know who the hell BU is.

Quote Originally Posted by Driftryder View Post
    It was a USCHO meme from a few years ago.
    Aaahhh It must have been during my time of not posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    I am sure ESPN might have convinced you to believe otherwise, but Boston isn't the center of the sports world. And since BU doesn't have any other big time programs in other sports, most people probably don't know who the hell BU is.
    Didn't say it was, but what would you consider the center of the sports world?

Brickley, as in andy brickley, says what I mentioned during bc-bu games televised on NESN...as in new england as the audience.

He fixes the cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gentry View Post

Duluth fans cringe when someone just says "Minnesota."

Thread Information