MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

Here is a link to a discussion on D-3 soccer. Rather than summarize it, I will let anyone interested go and read it. If they were expelled from the MIAC, where would they go? Up to D-1 or D-2, the latter would destroy their hockey program.

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=8941.0
    Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
    Here is a link to a discussion on D-3 soccer. Rather than summarize it, I will let anyone interested go and read it. If they were expelled from the MIAC, where would they go? Up to D-1 or D-2, the latter would destroy their hockey program.

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=8941.0
    If they stay in DIII they could try to join the WIAC. Not that far from the schools in that conference...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      If they stay in DIII they could try to join the WIAC. Not that far from the schools in that conference...
      Isn't a competitive private university the reason they ran out of the NCHA in the first place? Doubt they'd welcome one in now. Especially if they are being booted from the MIAC for being too good.
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
        Isn't a competitive private university the reason they ran out of the NCHA in the first place? Doubt they'd welcome one in now. Especially if they are being booted from the MIAC for being too good.
        Did anyone at the time though think they were going to lose the auto bid? I think the WI state schools thought some of the NCHA schools would stay with them so they would keep the auto bid. Granted, they've still been able to find success with Stevens Point and Eau Claire winning national titles but without the auto bid, it's always an iffy road on whether or not you'll get a team into the NCAA Tournament.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post

Finlandia is an associate member of the WIAC for baseball and Northland will be an associate for hockey next season and they are private, granted much smaller in population than St. Thomas.

The Eau Claire AD said on record in an interview that pulling out of the NCHA was a mistake because of the autobid situation, so that makes one stakeholder likely open to more associate members for ice hockey. If he's not the only AD who feels that way there could be potential to add more private schools. Whether St. Thomas fits the profile they want is another question

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
            Finlandia is an associate member of the WIAC for baseball and Northland will be an associate for hockey next season and they are private, granted much smaller in population than St. Thomas.

The Eau Claire AD said on record in an interview that pulling out of the NCHA was a mistake because of the autobid situation, so that makes one stakeholder likely open to more associate members for ice hockey. If he's not the only AD who feels that way there could be potential to add more private schools. Whether St. Thomas fits the profile they want is another question
            Short of La Crosse, Platteville, Whitewater, or Oshkosh whipping a team out of thin air, not sure what other option the WIAC would have beyond an affiliate/new member.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'm honestly surprised those WIAC schools you've mentioned haven't added a hockey school or aren't required to start one up by a certain year. WIAC dominates in a ton of other sports, recruiting pool is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by BKrosky View Post
                I'm honestly surprised those WIAC schools you've mentioned haven't added a hockey school or aren't required to start one up by a certain year. WIAC dominates in a ton of other sports, recruiting pool is crazy.
                I'm more surprised (but happy) when there are new programs at all. Hockey is an expensive sport to play. Public colleges (and private ones too) are under a lot of strain with their budget.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Did anyone at the time though think they were going to lose the auto bid? I think the WI state schools thought some of the NCHA schools would stay with them so they would keep the auto bid. Granted, they've still been able to find success with Stevens Point and Eau Claire winning national titles but without the auto bid, it's always an iffy road on whether or not you'll get a team into the NCAA Tournament.
                  Eau Claire won their title in 2013, the last season of the “old” NCHA.

Still, Point has won two titles since the WIAC split and to be honest, that is two more than I thought the conference would ever win.

Comment

Originally posted by BKrosky View Post
                    Public education funding has not been a strong suit of the state of Wisconsin lately.

Comment

The vote to change the MIAC bylaws to add an enrollment cap is today. 9 schools need to approve which means 5 against sink it. I've read that St. John's, their football rival, wants them to stay. If that's true they need 3 more schools on their side to sink it.

I'm very curious which institution is whipping the votes for kicking the Tommies out, and if they have the votes.

Comment

News report on the meeting....

http://www.startribune.com/miac-riva...mas/508145182/
                        SNC Men:
                        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                        SNC Women:
                        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

I wonder if its possible they would throw St. Thomas out as a full member, but the Tommies stick around for hockey. Sounds like this is mostly (entirely?) about football.
                          #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                            The article included this paragraph:

Three MIAC sources said there is pressure being applied to Bethel, Concordia, Gustavus — the other competitive football programs — to support removing St. Thomas via threats that Augsburg, Hamline, St. Olaf and Carleton could drop out of MIAC football (as Macalester did years ago). This would leave five football schools in the MIAC without a full schedule to play.
                            From that it sounds like Ausburg, Hamline, St. Olaf and Carleton are driving this, or at least support it. Bethel, Concordia and GAC are at the very least uncommitted, possibly against.

If St. John's is in fact on the side of St. Thomas, and they can get Bethel, Concordia and GAC to vote with them that would be enough to sink this.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                              I wonder if its possible they would throw St. Thomas out as a full member, but the Tommies stick around for hockey. Sounds like this is mostly (entirely?) about football.
                              I have every reason to believe this is definitely ENTIRELY about football; specifically about a football coach - if we're being honest.

Comment

Working...
                              X