Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Well, it’s August so let’s get this thing going.

Perhaps a little bit of politics to start, as voters will have the opportunity to approve a new ice plant at the Carlson Center in October.

http://http://www.newsminer.com/news...8ede2d7e1.html
    Last edited by Squarebanks; 08-02-2018, 09:03 AM.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

From KTVF11 Sports:
    A source within the University says that one of the Candidates, Mike Waddell, has dropped out of the running for the @AlaskaNanooks athletic director job. The only other word is that they are awaiting approval before making an offer.

I went to 3 of the 4 public meet & greets. IMHO, he was heads and shoulders above the others. I believe there are only two left in the pool. Unfortunately, they need go with an interim and start the process all over again in the spring. And for god sakes streamline the hiring process. What a frigging joke.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
      From KTVF11 Sports:
      A source within the University says that one of the Candidates, Mike Waddell, has dropped out of the running for the @AlaskaNanooks athletic director job. The only other word is that they are awaiting approval before making an offer.

I went to 3 of the 4 public meet & greets. IMHO, he was heads and shoulders above the others. I believe there are only two left in the pool. Unfortunately, they need go with an interim and start the process all over again in the spring. And for god sakes streamline the hiring process. What a frigging joke.
      Who else dropped out? None of the proposed finalists really jumped out at me as a great hire. I wish they would find someone with some better connections to Alaska.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        Who else dropped out? None of the proposed finalists really jumped out at me as a great hire. I wish they would find someone with some better connections to Alaska.
        I recall a tweet or post somewhere about one other candidate no longer being in the running, but have heard nothing official, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Waddell would have been a good hire. Very dynamic personality. Our previous two ADs were nice guys but as personable and dynamic as dish rags. I don't believe an Alaskan connection necessarily brings anything to the AD position.

Comment

Hey folks, who do you play on 10/19-20? USCHO composite has you playing both Denver and UAF that weekend, Denver's schedule says they're playing you, your schedule says UAF, and WCHA's composite says UAF.

Comment

Originally posted by talonsuppuckdown View Post
            hey folks, who do you play on 10/19-20? Uscho composite has you playing both denver and uaf that weekend, denver's schedule says they're playing you, your schedule says uaf, and wcha's composite says uaf.
            uaa*
            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
              Hey folks, who do you play on 10/19-20? USCHO composite has you playing both Denver and UAF that weekend, Denver's schedule says they're playing you, your schedule says UAF, and WCHA's composite says UAF.
              @Denver.

I believe UAA added a new non-conference series against someone, albeit on a different weekend.

Comment

- UAF and UAA dropped their home & home intra-conference “non-conference” games originally scheduled for Oct 19th & 20th.

- UAF now plays at Denver on Oct 19th & 20th. (I’m sure there is an excuse but no valid reason other than incompetence that UAF hasn’t updated their on-line schedule).

- UAA now plays at UNO on Dec 29th & 31st (Sat & Mon).

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                  uaa*
                  Yeah. Doh.

Comment

Hmm... 🤔

http://https://denverpioneers.com/news/2018/8/20/mens-ice-hockey-joe-howe-named-to-coaching-staff-of-ncaa-division-i-program.aspx

Comment

Wow, Bruce Cech is stepping down. I hope that isn’t a sign we won’t be on the radio this year.

Comment

Wow, Bruce Cech is stepping down. I hope that isn’t a sign we won’t be on the radio this year.
                        I’ve had the pleasure of sharing press boxes with Bruce for 11 years. He’s a consummate pro, a terrific guy and one of the best in the game. Being a guy that works another job as well, I know how tough it is to juggle schedules to make things work. No one put more heart and soul into it than Bruce did. Proud to call you a friend and a colleague Bruce. You will be missed! Still hooe to see you in January! A tap of the stick as well to Safeway for hepling to make it work!
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

WHAT??? Never thought I would hear those words. I liked Bruce. Channel 11 news just aired a short interview of Bruce, and he said due to budget constraints the Nanooks will no longer have radio coverage (like UAA and UAH, he said). I was not aware that UAH didn't have radio coverage. Sad.
                          Last edited by Suze; 08-21-2018, 09:55 PM.
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            WHAT??? Never thought I would hear those words. I liked Bruce. Channel 11 news just aired a short interview of Bruce, and he said due to budget constraints the Nanooks will no longer have radio coverage (like UAA and UAH, he said). I was not aware that UAH didn't have radio coverage. Sad.
                            Not too surprising. He’s self-funded his broadcasts for a few years now. I assume there will still be a webcast due to wcha.tv?

Comment

Not too surprising. He’s self-funded his broadcasts for a few years now. I assume there will still be a webcast due to wcha.tv?
                              It's not carried by WCHA TV this year, flohockeytv picked it up. Even though UAA's games weren't on the radio, they were available through audio on the internet, and they still have a play-by-play guy. Are the Nanooks not going to have ANY play-by-play person?
                              Last edited by Suze; 08-22-2018, 12:13 AM.
                              Originally Posted by aparch
                              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                              X