Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEHC expands to include Elmira and William Smith in 2021-22

http://www.nehockeyconference.com/wo.../oct15nehc.php

Elmira men and women to NEHC and William Smith Women joining Hobart men in same conference.
    Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 10-15-2019, 01:11 PM.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: NEHC expands to include Elmira and William Smith in 2021-22

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    https://www.nehockeyconference.com/w.../oct15nehc.php

Elmira men and women to NEHC and William Smith Women joining Hobart men in same conference.
    Please forgive me. But what is the advantage for Elmira joining this hockey conference? The old one was better for travel and yet still a good league -- at least I thought. Look forward to input, thanking you in advance for the insight.

Comment

I like this move.
      2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
        Please forgive me. But what is the advantage for Elmira joining this hockey conference? The old one was better for travel and yet still a good league -- at least I thought. Look forward to input, thanking you in advance for the insight.
        https://athletics.elmira.edu/news/20...n-2021-22.aspx

If you read the release on the Elmira athletics website, the AD basically comes right and says that they feel its a recruiting advantage to join the NEHC given where they are getting kids on their roster from and alumni base in her quote.

Additionally, this is my own thought that goes unsaid in the release, I think the conference/AQ stability, which was a big reason for Hobart making the switch two years ago is important too. Elmira played in a non auto-bid conference for 20 years. That's a really tough sell that if you don't win your league, you don't necessarily make the NCAA Tournament and it's an even tougher sell in the odd years that it did happen that if you do end up winning your league and don't get in.

Although they don't have enough teams currently, what's to stop the PA schools to branch off at some point and form the MAC hockey conference and then Elmira/Utica/Nazareth etc. are left out in the cold again and its rinse, recycle and repeat.
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

If you read the release on the Elmira athletics website, the AD basically comes right and says that they feel its a recruiting advantage to join the NEHC given where they are getting kids on their roster from and alumni base in her quote.

Additionally, this is my own thought that goes unsaid in the release, I think the conference/AQ stability, which was a big reason for Hobart making the switch two years ago is important too. Elmira played in a non auto-bid conference for 20 years. That's a really tough sell that if you don't win your league, you don't necessarily make the NCAA Tournament and it's an even tougher sell in the odd years that it did happen that if you do end up winning your league and don't get in.

Although they don't have enough teams currently, what's to stop the PA schools to branch off at some point and form the MAC hockey conference and then Elmira/Utica/Nazareth etc. are left out in the cold again and its rinse, recycle and repeat.
          Makes sense, I wonder how Elmira joining will affect Albertus Magnus joining, however. Albertus Magnus is already apparently going to be a scheduling partner for 2020-2021, which I assumed was going to be followed by full membership eventually. Albertus Magnus is GNAC member with Norwich and J&W for other sports already. Story [ here ]. If they both join that would bring the NEHC to 11 members. Anna Maria, also a GNAC member, joining would bring them to 12.
          Last edited by Buckeye22; 10-15-2019, 04:32 PM.
          Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
          University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Prez Utica has a very strong program and would appear to benefit from joining the NEHC. Any word if they are interested?
            2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
            2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
              Makes sense, I wonder how Elmira joining will affect Albertus Magnus joining, however. Albertus Magnus is already apparently going to be a scheduling partner for 2020-2021, which I assumed was going to be followed by full membership eventually. Albertus Magnus is GNAC member with Norwich and J&W for other sports already. Story [ here ]. If they both join that would bring the NEHC to 11 members. Anna Maria, also a GNAC member, joining would bring them to 12.
              This looks like a move to fill the scheduling hole created by the departure of Suffolk to the CCC in 2020. Since Elmira comes in in 2021, they needed to have somebody to be a travel partner for J&W in 2020. I would expect the deck will be shuffled again in 2021, since it would seem to make sense for Elmira and Hobart to be travel partners. Could they expand to 12 by adding both Big Al and Anna Maria? It's possible, but the two new programs might fit better elsewhere.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                Could they expand to 12 by adding both Big Al and Anna Maria? It's possible, but the two new programs might fit better elsewhere.
                Where? I can't see the CCC or MASCAC wanting them. Having them join the NEHC seems like the only logical option. With the GNAC connections, not to mention the geographical proximity to the NEHC's other schools, I have to imagine Albertus Magnus and Anna Maria were hoping for NEHC membership when they started their programs.
                Last edited by Buckeye22; 10-16-2019, 08:14 AM.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  This looks like a move to fill the scheduling hole created by the departure of Suffolk to the CCC in 2020. Since Elmira comes in in 2021, they needed to have somebody to be a travel partner for J&W in 2020. I would expect the deck will be shuffled again in 2021, since it would seem to make sense for Elmira and Hobart to be travel partners. Could they expand to 12 by adding both Big Al and Anna Maria? It's possible, but the two new programs might fit better elsewhere.
                  As far as numbers go, don't assume that every institution currently in the NEHC will still be in it by the time Elmira and William Smith join.

Comment

https://athletics.elmira.edu/news/20...n-2021-22.aspx

I can read....

It sounds like its all about the AQ. Which I was unaware of and didn't see it in the AD taking points.

Comment

It's all RIT's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                        It's all RIT's fault.
                        Always has been...always will be.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
                          I can read....

It sounds like its all about the AQ. Which I was unaware of and didn't see it in the AD taking points.
                          No doubt. And that silly BS construct is wreaking needless havoc yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            The AQ is great.
                            2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Originally posted by smbenny View Post
                              The AQ is great.
                              Grabs the popcorn...
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                              X