Final Four Moving Back to Campus Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final Four Moving Back to Campus Sites

So who do we call to get this ball rolling? I think its a much better idea to combine the Mens and Womens Championships rather than the NCAA's other idea for 2015.
    LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
      I am so sick of the moaning and groaning ... Lake Placid is the best ...

There will never be a perfect venue ... it will always be too big for one guy's taste ... too far away for another's ... but in my years doing the games I've done the championship game thing at home ... on the road ... at neutral sites ... nothing compares with the excitement of being at the Olympic Center. and consider this ... while there over the weekend I was listening to the local radio station ... they did a full length preview of the event on the air ... it was the biggest event of the weekend there ... that means something!

The best idea I've heard in a while is combining the D-3 men's AND women's tournaments at the same site ... as to the merging of the D-1 and D-3 men's events at the same site ... at first I liked it ... but the more I think about it the more I wonder how it can work ... isn't that just way too late for D-3 hockey?
      I agree with George 100%!!!!! One of the most important hockey games in US history was played on that ice, and changed the way the world looks at US hockey at any level. I remember a game George (along with the late Mike Mannix) broadcast for WPTZ from Stafford several years back. The Cards palyed an exibition game against Moscow Spartak, and the only thing that would have made it better, if it had been played in Lake Placid! Yeh, Plattsburgh lost, but that didn't matter!

I agree with George 100%!!!!! One of the most important hockey games in US history was played on that ice, and changed the way the world looks at US hockey at any level. I remember a game George (along with the late Mike Mannix) broadcast for WPTZ from Stafford several years back. The Cards palyed an exibition game against Moscow Spartak, and the only thing that would have made it better, if it had been played in Lake Placid! Yah, Plattsburgh lost, but that didn't matter!

I don't understand why this is repeated> I only typed it once
      Last edited by Birdwatcher; 03-18-2012, 09:42 AM.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
        So who do we call to get this ball rolling? I think its a much better idea to combine the Mens and Womens Championships rather than the NCAA's other idea for 2015.
        I suggested this as soon as I heard the women's was going to a predetermined site for next year.

I think it'd be perfect and a big relief for schools with prominent men's and women's programs that might be playing in both.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          I suggested this as soon as I heard the women's was going to a predetermined site for next year.

I think it'd be perfect and a big relief for schools with prominent men's and women's programs that might be playing in both.
          While I sincerely agree that combining the DIII Men's and Women's National Championships is the synergistic way to go, it is NOT what Brucey and gang have in the works
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
            While I sincerely agree that combining the DIII Men's and Women's National Championships is the synergistic way to go, it is NOT what Brucey and gang have in the works
            I think its time to launch
            OCCUPY NCAA D3 Ice Hockey
            We know the men are returning to Lake Placid...we need to get the women there as well next year....to head off the D1/D3 Double Beef Whopper with Cheese initiative....
            A successful combined tournament in '13 will do more than another two years of b*tchin' on this board to save this concept... Contact your College President, AD, Men's and Women's Coaches, SID, Development Office...start talking this up....
            LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
              I think its time to launch
              OCCUPY NCAA D3 Ice Hockey
              We know the men are returning to Lake Placid...we need to get the women there as well next year....to head off the D1/D3 Double Beef Whopper with Cheese initiative....
              A successful combined tournament in '13 will do more than another two years of b*tchin' on this board to save this concept... Contact your College President, AD, Men's and Women's Coaches, SID, Development Office...start talking this up....
              I tried getting in the committee's ear all weekend long in Rochester the last few days. Didn't have much success.

Steve Nelson and Jan Gentry are the names you want to seek out to plant the bug.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                I tried getting in the committee's ear all weekend long in Rochester the last few days. Didn't have much success.

Steve Nelson and Jan Gentry are the names you want to seek out to plant the bug.
                ...met a friend of yours last night - she let slip you have another nickname...Diva
                LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                  ...met a friend of yours last night - she let slip you have another nickname...Diva
                  AG is dead to me.

What's my bar tab from zig zag's?
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

The last thing we want to see is combining D1 with D3 FF.
                    We just back from Lake Placid and it was a great inspire of the fact that our team lost.
                    I disagree that LP is over. It still is a great venue. We we're in Minnesota last year, and although it was a great site for the games, the bigger city swallowed up any ambience. Walking around the LP community was great. The intimate surrounding really helps to make it enjoyable.

Comment

I forgot to add that with a combined D1and D3 , it would turn into total D1 show. Let the D3 players have their own moment of glory.

Comment

Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
                        I forgot to add that with a combined D1and D3 , it would turn into total D1 show. Let the D3 players have their own moment of glory.
                        But maybe they could return the Frozen Four $kills Challenge
                        Larry Normandin
                        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Keep the games in Placid, it's just the perfect place for DIII hockey. Big mistake combining games with DI. Just move the women to Placid with the men and you have a great weekend of hockey.
                          Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

I disagree with having top seed hosting the final four. All Div III fans should be allowed to purchase tickets and attend the final four. The last time it was held at Norwich I would assume there were a number of people would have liked to have gone but could get tickets because they were not available. If I’m not mistaken some of the season ticket holders were only allowed two tickets in order to have the mandated tickets for visiting teams. Oswego had the largest contingent of fans followed by Norwich at this weekend games. If Plattsburgh had made the final four there would have been a much larger game attendance. Plattsburgh & Oswego may have larger setting capacity than Norwich but neither of the three would be willing to give a potential 750-1000 tickets to each visting school if they hosted. Lake Placid works well and there is able seating for fans to attend the games. The pre determined site allows fans to make reservations in advance. Norwich was the top seed this year and already had an advantage by being the home team and playing the first game.

I disagree with men’s Div I & III being combined. This is Div III hockey and it needs to stay Div III. I do agree with having both women’s and men’s at the same site. I would have gone to the women’s games this weekend if the games had been at LP. Yesterday seemed to drag with the men’s game at 7:00 PM. The men could play their semi’s on Friday like they did this year 4:00 PM & & 7:30PM. The ladies could play Saturday at 12:00 PM & 3:30 PM and the men play the championship at 7:00 PM. The ladies could than play their championship at 12:00 PM on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by VT bragging rights View Post
                              I disagree with having top seed hosting the final four. All Div III fans should be allowed to purchase tickets and attend the final four. The last time it was held at Norwich I would assume there were a number of people would have liked to have gone but could get tickets because they were not available. If I’m not mistaken some of the season ticket holders were only allowed two tickets in order to have the mandated tickets for visiting teams. Oswego had the largest contingent of fans followed by Norwich at this weekend games. If Plattsburgh had made the final four there would have been a much larger game attendance. Plattsburgh & Oswego may have larger setting capacity than Norwich but neither of the three would be willing to give a potential 750-1000 tickets to each visting school if they hosted. Lake Placid works well and there is able seating for fans to attend the games. The pre determined site allows fans to make reservations in advance. Norwich was the top seed this year and already had an advantage by being the home team and playing the first game.

I disagree with men’s Div I & III being combined. This is Div III hockey and it needs to stay Div III. I do agree with having both women’s and men’s at the same site. I would have gone to the women’s games this weekend if the games had been at LP. Yesterday seemed to drag with the men’s game at 7:00 PM. The men could play their semi’s on Friday like they did this year 4:00 PM & & 7:30PM. The ladies could play Saturday at 12:00 PM & 3:30 PM and the men play the championship at 7:00 PM. The ladies could than play their championship at 12:00 PM on Sunday.
                              +1
                              LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

IMO, combining the men's championships to one location will potentially do more to harm the sport than any other event.

There are two main points to consider (again, this is just MY opinion).

1-Increase in costs Ok, the obvious one is flying four teams to the site, instead of (usually) one. There might be some economy of scale for rooms, meals, etc, but probably not enough to offset the flights. A secondary cost is having schools maintain ice for several weeks longer, which also will occur in months that are getting increasing warmer. For some schools, that may not be as much of a factor, but for any schools already on a shoestring, it may cause re-examination of supporting the sport.

Which brings me to

2-Decrease in teams Again, perhaps not immediately apparent, but there would exist the possibility that the NESCAC schools opt out due to the late end date. (Please note, this is not intended as a commentary on their choices of length of season, etc. They are well within their rights to decide that on their own.) If they did decide not to participate in the national tournament, they likey would follow the same path as NESCAC football. The loss of ten teams to the total teams may change the number of tournament bids to 9.

Another side effect, although possibly more western DIII fans would attend, far less eastern fans would go. Result, noticeably fewer DIII fans.

In any case, it seems that this proposal is far more likely to SHRINK Division III hockey than enhance it, and is a mistake.

One other opinion, I am not convinced that the DIII ice hockey committee had much of a say in this, other than the NCAA mandated they come up with a plan.

One more time, ALL of the above statements represent my personal opinion only.
                                Last edited by jerrynu26; 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM.
                                Go 'Wick!

Comment

Working...
                                X