LSSU Hockey 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Hockey 2012-2013

The BCHL finally posted a news release about Mitch Nardi committing to the Lakers"

http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/newslette...393&page=62851

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
      Lakers up 4-2 after 2. Snow in net. Forecheck disrupted. Jim Montgomery goes ape-crazy. Thanks everyone for this trip down Agony Lane.
      Thanks for the stories, Lakerblue. It certainly does get you excited for Laker Hockey this season. It's about the time of the year when I get withdrawls! I'll probably whet my hockey appetite on the Eagles until the Lakers start up. Only a month away and I'll probably be chatting with the students/players coming back over the border.

I also have the '93 game on tape/dvd, and yes Tallaire did score that goal. Would have been an unbelievable finish in OT if that would have counted, and I still can't imagine why Maine wasn't stripped of the title. Especially after the NCAA took away Wisconsins' 92 second place finish.

Also, about the posts on Anzalone, I also wish him the best in all he does in hockey. When I was writing for U.S. College Hockey magazine, he was always good for some great quotes, and was good about calling back. I always likes him because he was honest, which some people didn't like. He told it like it was, and the Laker Hockey Shows were always interesting. We didn't get the same old line week after week.
      Last edited by RealLaker94; 07-27-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

It looks like we picked up another recruit for this coming season (Bryce Schmitt, Bismarck, NAHL). In a way it's kind of a surprise, but then again Roque has had a penchant for bringing in late recruits the past few years. Might be a recruited walk-on situation, although that is just speculation on my part.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=5849

This brings the potential roster size up to 27 unless there is someone else who isn't coming back. Makes for a lot of guys who won't dress each game.
        Last edited by Bill; 08-06-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Sounds like an invited walk-on, good leadership traits, older student, serious work ethic. Not a goal scorer by any means. Did I see 24 goals in a little over 100 games? But there is nothing wrong veteran leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Serum
            I most certainly hope that Raven gets his chance this year as promised when he came here.

Yeah! Or Brett Wall! Unfairness sucks! Attica! Attica! Attica!

English department note: Nothing worse than sentence like this one illustrated above. Its a mish-mash which purports to be intelligent. But let us review. Part one: "I most certainly hope." Hmmm, this sounds smarty and all educated and stuff, but in reality this is the worst sort of brainless blather and is too-often passed off by people attempting to sound both "smart" and "serious." The problem is the use of the word "most." It is not necessary and it modifies a modifier, which is just sloppy -- Orwell mocked this nicely in 1984 with something being double-plus-good. The proper way to express oneself would be to say "I certainly hope . . . " Although now it begs the question: What does "certainly hope" mean? Nothing. Adding "certainly" to "hope" merely emphasizes the obvious. If you are "hoping," one would readily assume that you are hoping with some level of certainty in your convictions. And accordingly, do we really need you to say, "Certainly hope"? Is it not obvious from the text? Now, if you were hoping, but it was a vague or idle hope, then perhaps a modifier such as "faintly" can be added to "hope." Or "desperately" can be added to hope to show that you you both understand the unlikelihood of you hope's object coming true -- but you really want it to come true. But "certainly" and "hope" really don't go together. So the entire first sentence can be reduced to "I hope." Lovely. Isn't that much better for the reader.

Ok, lets move to the second part: . . . that Ravn gets his chance this year . . .. Nothing too objectionable here, except perhaps the use of the word "chance," given the context of the whole sentence. Getting a chance indicates that a person has been dutifully standing in line and has not yet been allowed to exhibit some skill. Moreover, it appears to be "his" chance, as if to indicate that he has a "chance" which heretofore has been kept from the light of day, so to speak. This presumes that he does not have a chance, per se, but rather that he will maybe "get" that "chance" at some point "this year." This is sloppy. Many words with vague or open meanings. Perhaps a cleaner sentence would be, " . . . that Ravn plays in a game this upcoming hockey season." Ah, isn't that better?

Lets put the cleaned up parts together: "I hope Ravn plays in a game this upcoming hockey season." We now have a sentence that is clear, concise, and devoid of the meanspirited hyperbole that would detract from the sentence's intention.

The last part of the sentence needs some cleaning. "As promised when he came here." Where to start? Future tense in part 1 & 2 of the sentence, followed by an odd reference, in past tense, to alleged prior agreements. Merely taken on its own weight, this segment of the sentence is horrific English. Again, it uses the syntaxual structure meant to sound smart, but simple deconstruction shows its obvious flaws. "As promised" is actually not proper English in this context. It looks even more dysfunctional when attached to the tortured phrase "when he came here." Oh my, this is a sad little fragment of a sentence. When applied to the context of parts 1 & 2, it just seems like a third arm growing out of the original sentence's chest. First and foremost, a good sentence builds forward, starting with the oldest information, the past tense information, and moving into the future tenses. By plopping this past-tense remark at the end of the previous half of the sentence which is expressing "hope" for a future action, the writier has committed a common deadly drafting sin -- leaving a hook at the end of the sentence. A good writer must be able to convey thoughts and opinions without the carnival barker trickery of a snarky hook used to catch mindless fish. On that rule alone, this entire third section should be removed. However, should the author truly wish to convey the context of promise-yet-unfullfilled-but-the-hope-of-fullfillment-in-the-future, I would suggest reducing the snarkiness, eliminate the parlor trickery of a bait-and-hook sentence, and place your intentions at the front of the sentence.

Ergo, "As promised when he came here, I hope Ravn plays in a game in the upcoming hockey season."

Better.

But there is still work to be done. Again, the use of "as" and "promised" just seems wrongheaded in this context. True, it sounds better up front instead of the toothless carney shell game of putting a snark in the tail. But perhaps the entire context of the sentence it works. I think I would clean up the vague reference to "here," just to make sure the location and intention of the sentence object is not lost in overly-flowery langauge.

So I think we can leave it as is, and present a much improved statement:

"As promised when he came to LSSU prior to his freshman year, I hope Ravn plays in a game in the upcoming hockey season."

Much better.

Comment

Lakerblue, LSSULaker889294, sm@pk, et all........aren't you as sic of fryingFrank" as you are "Beating Borek"....how about some new "stuff"???

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
                It looks like we picked up another recruit for this coming season (Bryce Schmitt, Bismarck, NAHL). In a way it's kind of a surprise, but then again Roque has had a penchant for bringing in late recruits the past few years. Might be a recruited walk-on situation, although that is just speculation on my part.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=5849

This brings the potential roster size up to 27 unless there is someone else who isn't coming back. Makes for a lot of guys who won't dress each game.
                He should be a typical hard working Laker and being a captain of his junior team seems to fit what the coach likes
                BLEED BLUE

Comment

Yeah! Or Brett Wall! Unfairness sucks! Attica! Attica! Attica!

English department note: Nothing worse than sentence like this one illustrated above. Its a mish-mash which purports to be intelligent. But let us review. Part one: "I most certainly hope." Hmmm, this sounds smarty and all educated and stuff, but in reality this is the worst sort of brainless blather and is too-often passed off by people attempting to sound both "smart" and "serious." The problem is the use of the word "most." It is not necessary and it modifies a modifier, which is just sloppy -- Orwell mocked this nicely in 1984 with something being double-plus-good. The proper way to express oneself would be to say "I certainly hope . . . " Although now it begs the question: What does "certainly hope" mean? Nothing. Adding "certainly" to "hope" merely emphasizes the obvious. If you are "hoping," one would readily assume that you are hoping with some level of certainty in your convictions. And accordingly, do we really need you to say, "Certainly hope"? Is it not obvious from the text? Now, if you were hoping, but it was a vague or idle hope, then perhaps a modifier such as "faintly" can be added to "hope." Or "desperately" can be added to hope to show that you you both understand the unlikelihood of you hope's object coming true -- but you really want it to come true. But "certainly" and "hope" really don't go together. So the entire first sentence can be reduced to "I hope." Lovely. Isn't that much better for the reader.

Ok, lets move to the second part: . . . that Ravn gets his chance this year . . .. Nothing too objectionable here, except perhaps the use of the word "chance," given the context of the whole sentence. Getting a chance indicates that a person has been dutifully standing in line and has not yet been allowed to exhibit some skill. Moreover, it appears to be "his" chance, as if to indicate that he has a "chance" which heretofore has been kept from the light of day, so to speak. This presumes that he does not have a chance, per se, but rather that he will maybe "get" that "chance" at some point "this year." This is sloppy. Many words with vague or open meanings. Perhaps a cleaner sentence would be, " . . . that Ravn plays in a game this upcoming hockey season." Ah, isn't that better?

Lets put the cleaned up parts together: "I hope Ravn plays in a game this upcoming hockey season." We now have a sentence that is clear, concise, and devoid of the meanspirited hyperbole that would detract from the sentence's intention.

The last part of the sentence needs some cleaning. "As promised when he came here." Where to start? Future tense in part 1 & 2 of the sentence, followed by an odd reference, in past tense, to alleged prior agreements. Merely taken on its own weight, this segment of the sentence is horrific English. Again, it uses the syntaxual structure meant to sound smart, but simple deconstruction shows its obvious flaws. "As promised" is actually not proper English in this context. It looks even more dysfunctional when attached to the tortured phrase "when he came here." Oh my, this is a sad little fragment of a sentence. When applied to the context of parts 1 & 2, it just seems like a third arm growing out of the original sentence's chest. First and foremost, a good sentence builds forward, starting with the oldest information, the past tense information, and moving into the future tenses. By plopping this past-tense remark at the end of the previous half of the sentence which is expressing "hope" for a future action, the writier has committed a common deadly drafting sin -- leaving a hook at the end of the sentence. A good writer must be able to convey thoughts and opinions without the carnival barker trickery of a snarky hook used to catch mindless fish. On that rule alone, this entire third section should be removed. However, should the author truly wish to convey the context of promise-yet-unfullfilled-but-the-hope-of-fullfillment-in-the-future, I would suggest reducing the snarkiness, eliminate the parlor trickery of a bait-and-hook sentence, and place your intentions at the front of the sentence.

Ergo, "As promised when he came here, I hope Ravn plays in a game in the upcoming hockey season."

Better.

But there is still work to be done. Again, the use of "as" and "promised" just seems wrongheaded in this context. True, it sounds better up front instead of the toothless carney shell game of putting a snark in the tail. But perhaps the entire context of the sentence it works. I think I would clean up the vague reference to "here," just to make sure the location and intention of the sentence object is not lost in overly-flowery langauge.

So I think we can leave it as is, and present a much improved statement:

"As promised when he came to LSSU prior to his freshman year, I hope Ravn plays in a game in the upcoming hockey season."

Much better.

As I thought before I read this I most really like this reply prior to posting here.

Comment

100% correct. From my seats in Milwaukee about 9,000 rows from the ice, it looked like a cross-bar, and it broke my heart. I now recall the replays which show it clearly in the net. Ah, what can you do, the refs were biased toward Maine!

Since you haev the game, or have viewed it recently, can you tell me when Maine switched goalies? It was Dunham, and they pulled him for Snow (I think, maybe, as I recall), and Snow was put in net because he was better at playing the puck. The Lakers were keeping Maine from getting their attack really moving because LSSU was getting good deep dump-ins, and forechecking like crazy. When Snow came into the net (or was it Dunham . . . ?) he was a good puck-playing goalie, and he was getting to the pucks in the corner and getting them out before LSSU could establish the forecheck. After that, Kariya and Company were able to hit Center Ice flying, and the Lakers were on their back foot the rest of the game . . .

UNTIL SEAN TALLAIRE TIED THE GAME.

Oh well . . . still hurts, now that I think about it.
                    I've been away a bit......so, sorry for the late reply. They put Snow in to start the 3rd. Another thing I remember was John Hendry having the chance to make it 5-2 late in the 2nd. He was wide open right in front of the net but lost the puck in his skates. That probably would have done it, even with Montgomery's hat trick in the 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory
                      It's pretty tough to move forward and create a sense of optimism going forward if all everyone does is rehash the past 10 years over and over. Lets stop beating a dead horse here and concentrate on the upcoming season.

You know, I didn't response to Mr. Frick because I would let that one-off go. To be clear: I don't spend time frying Frank, or beating Borek. I respond with snarky postings to snarky comments from one particular troll because it entertains me. But you'd be hard pressed to find me starting, or perptuating, negative dialog about Borek or Frank. Perhaps -- and this is just a suggestion -- maybe some of Frank's and Scott's friends, family, and supporters could move on themselves, and STOP bashing the current Coach and Coaching staff.

I think if the postings herein are viewed in a fair-minded light, you'd see that discussions about Frank and Borek are usually started by one or two people -- and they are not the people listed above.

Now, by the same token, all posters reserve the right to discuss the Borek years, or the Frank years, in discussing LSSU hockey. Some of that hsitorical discussion is interesting because it sheds light on the current state of LSSU hockey, where we are going, how we got where we are, etc . . .

Our program has a great history -- it also has some bad times. All of those good and bad times make up the State of the Program.

Just my opinion, of course.

Comment

Does anyone know if there will be a Blue/White game this year?
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

To be clear: I don't spend time frying Frank, or beating Borek. I respond with snarky postings to snarky comments from one particular troll because it entertains me. But you'd be hard pressed to find me starting, or perptuating, negative dialog about Borek or Frank. Perhaps -- and this is just a suggestion -- maybe some of Frank's and Scott's friends, family, and supporters could move on themselves, and STOP bashing the current Coach and Coaching staff.
                          If Mr/Mrs Truth Squad is who you say it is, he/she has nothing to do with Coach Anzalone or Coach Borek so your "snarky comments" only uspset those of us who do appreciate those two individuals and their families. My feeling is that Coach Roque and his staff are fair game because they are paid well to sit in the hot seat. If things were great they would reap praise. The current staff has cycled two complete classes through during their eight years. I agree that there is a little improvement but Coach Roque has been given a long leash and I for one would like to see a better, quicker curve for someone learning to coach on the job. In eight years we have seen less than modest improvement.
                          You ask that we look ahead and I truly hope that when we get in a league with all second and third tier teams we will be competitive on a yearly basis. I don't think even the modest gains that we have seen would rank us as competitive with the big boys and I for one think the talent is their but we lack top level coaching. If you read back over your posts you compare Coach Roque to Rico Blasi at Miami and Bob Daniels at Ferris State but the difference is they have had success. You must be so close to the situation that you see the potential that we don't see. I then say that you are a family member, friend, or supporter of Coach Roque that just has the opposite view of those you criticized above. We all have our opinions but it is much more acceptable to critique the current staff then it is to continue to bash those that have been gone for nearly a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
                            If Mr/Mrs Truth Squad is who you say it is, he/she has nothing to do with Coach Anzalone or Coach Borek so your "snarky comments" only uspset those of us who do appreciate those two individuals and their families. My feeling is that Coach Roque and his staff are fair game because they are paid well to sit in the hot seat. If things were great they would reap praise. The current staff has cycled two complete classes through during their eight years. I agree that there is a little improvement but Coach Roque has been given a long leash and I for one would like to see a better, quicker curve for someone learning to coach on the job. In eight years we have seen less than modest improvement.
                            You ask that we look ahead and I truly hope that when we get in a league with all second and third tier teams we will be competitive on a yearly basis. I don't think even the modest gains that we have seen would rank us as competitive with the big boys and I for one think the talent is their but we lack top level coaching. If you read back over your posts you compare Coach Roque to Rico Blasi at Miami and Bob Daniels at Ferris State but the difference is they have had success. You must be so close to the situation that you see the potential that we don't see. I then say that you are a family member, friend, or supporter of Coach Roque that just has the opposite view of those you criticized above. We all have our opinions but it is much more acceptable to critique the current staff then it is to continue to bash those that have been gone for nearly a decade.

I have no idea who truthy is, and I don't really care. And, No, my friend, I am no relation to Coach Roque and only know him superficially through booster functions. I do agree that being critical of the current Staff is fair game -- but I have always asked that the critical comments have some basis behind them. Some of the past coaches come up for various reasons -- Frank comes up because there is one poster who appears to have a deep psychological attachment to him. Borek comes up rarely, and usually only as a discussion point in response to the question: "What happened to the Lakers after Jackson left the program?" And nobody here says Borek, for instance, was a bad guy or didn't try his hardest. The emotions surrounding Frank are a little more raw because some of Frank's supporters have taken to degrading and insulting the program and cheering the hockey team's failures when they happen. That just gets under people's skin.

Comment

I have no idea who truthy is, and I don't really care.
                              And I don't mean "he had a bad game" or "He has not been playing well lately." I mean the critical review for which Mr. Sellers seems to take offense vis-a-vis his offspring.

Really? Just so you know, this was a response to a comment made by Truth Squad. Seems to me you were pretty sure at this point who "Truthy" was.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory
                                It's pretty tough to move forward and create a sense of optimism going forward if all everyone does is rehash the past 10 years over and over. Lets stop beating a dead horse here and concentrate on the upcoming season.
                                Here Here!!!
                                Go Lakers!

Comment

Working...
                                X