Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Hockey 2012-2013

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
    I think I get the idea of what you were getting at Mrs. Robinson. I wish this young mans situation would be handled internally. Don't think your friend is the only one to get chewed up by Coach Roque. I have three personal friends that fell victim to hard ball. These integrity issues bother me and many others but I guess they were necessary to secure financial stability to the program. Coach Roque and the administration obviously had a vision that far surpassed what we could realize and his ability to deliver the goods has to be commended. He is not a great coach nor does the program place integrity high on its list of priorities but it is financially sound and in the long run, that is what is most important. If all that is requested for a $5M donation is a couple of roster spots and a job for a head coach then I don't think that is asking too much. Just my opinion.
    Is Roque solely responsible for obtaining funding for the Norris Center upgrade? Were the major donors willing to contribute regardless of Roque remaining as head coach? If he played a major role in getting the money, kudos to him, but I wouldn't think the major donors would make it contingent on him remaining as coach. It makes more sense that they are interested in the success of the program regardless of who is head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      Is Roque solely responsible for obtaining funding for the Norris Center upgrade? Were the major donors willing to contribute regardless of Roque remaining as head coach? If he played a major role in getting the money, kudos to him, but I wouldn't think the major donors would make it contingent on him remaining as coach. It makes more sense that they are interested in the success of the program regardless of who is head coach.
      Do we really know anything about this donation? The poster 3dognight(I think that was his handle) claimed to be the internet public pointman for this group and he once suggested that whether Roque stays or goes is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is the health of the program but he/she has been strangely quiet lately and there has been no new updates to their website in well over a year.

I think we should be talking less about the coach (who so far has met his end of the bargain by placing a quality team on the ice) and more about the administration and what exactly is going on with this donation.....if anything!

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
        Do we really know anything about this donation? The poster 3dognight(I think that was his handle) claimed to be the internet public pointman for this group and he once suggested that whether Roque stays or goes is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is the health of the program but he/she has been strangely quiet lately and there has been no new updates to their website in well over a year.

I think we should be talking less about the coach (who so far has met his end of the bargain by placing a quality team on the ice) and more about the administration and what exactly is going on with this donation.....if anything!
        My belief was that the school is moving forward with no problems. That is the word from the street. Perhaps. I know that the school is accumulating money for the Norris Project and the hockey improvements at previously-unseen-rates (at least unseen since the Illiches dumped massive capital into the Abel Arena Project). I understood that the school wants everything in place, and does not want to do anything piece by piece, because each segment of the building and improvement plans are interconnected.

That was the standard Rotary-lunch speech.

I don't know if thats true, false, PR, hype, excuses, or what.

I know that the money is coming into the program and the AD's office at a decent and sizeable clip (for LSSU).

As every Head Coach does, at every school, in every sport -- Roque is very busy and very active in meeting potential donors. Some people give because they like a guy, some people give because they like the school, some people give in spite of the coach. Whatever the reasons, its safe to assume that Jim Roque is out there beating the bushes for donations -- as is every single NCAA coach in every sport. If you think LSSU has a "good old boys network," you should dig around Ann Arbor's skeleton closet.

Comment

Is Roque solely responsible for obtaining funding for the Norris Center upgrade? Were the major donors willing to contribute regardless of Roque remaining as head coach?
          Bill, I have tried to get some information on here as well with no response from the ones who seem to be closest to the team so I will tell you what I know first hand. I was in the presence of Coach Roque and heard him tell a mutual friend that he had a good friend that wanted to give significant money to him for the hockey team. He said this in response to my friends comment that the newly hung banners in front of the Norris Center looked great. This was shortly after Coach Roque took over as Head Coach. Coach Roque said that his friend had purchased the banners and was looking to do more for him but the University was getting in the way. He asked my friend for some advice and they left it at they would get together for lunch and talk about it. My understanding from the conversation was that the donor had recently sold a business and was looking for tax relief and had in excess of $5M he would give to Coach Roque for the program but it had to go through the University to get the benefit. Coach Roque said the individual had no ties to the school or the Soo and was an "old friend". My friend and Coach Roque talked briefly about how the tax system works etc. Coach Roque stated the help he needed was with LSSU administration as they would not allow the money to go entirely to the hockey team and that the whole athletic program needed to be involved. At that time I only understood a single individual to be involved and not a private "group" of donors. I am just putting things together by thinking this is the same individual that is funding the renovoation project. The two things I am wondering are: Did the money actually change hands because all of us are hearing the rumors that the University has not received the donation yet? My second question is, what is the actual cost of the project? My friend had since told me that this individual was funding the renovation and it would be a $5M project. I am assuming through Lakerblue's comments that the project has grown to exceed the $5M and additional money is needed and is coming in at an an incredible rate.

Comment

Speculationns? Rumors? Hard to believe that from the Soo.....Ha!

It is a somewhat complicated process working with LSSU / the State / tax attorneys / Gundlach - Champion and all the parties needed to assure a quality project,
            much work beyond the scope of signing a check and starting the Demo.

Along the way it was decided to unphase the project and do it all at once with the target date remaining the opening night of the new WCHA season.
            Significant $$$ have been spent to date with more to follow, as prelininary bills roll in. The Project has not exceeded the 5m budget target. (Happily)
            The Brick program will fund some furnishings and equipment.

Names will be placed on several new or renovated areas to acknowledge major donors, and the hockey challenge match originates from the same donor group. It was developed from the 2012 donation budget as the bulk of project expense will be in 2013. The University has also fulfilled their program funding adjustments and LSSU hockey is no longer at the bottom of the CCHA and will be mid pack in the new WCHA in this area.

This Donor group also funded the Goalie Camp, banners, TV Ads, Believe in Blue campaign, Thunder sticks, Billboards,, and several Game Tee nights to the tune of $250k over several years. It is a small group with no LSSU Alums, and not based in SSM, but we have an affinity for LSSU hockey.

What's not to like? The main reason for anonymity at this point is so we are not annoyed by others....not too much to ask,eh? We work quietly and don't feel the overwhelming need for many updates....when you pay the bills you get that consideration.
            We can all agree that the Program is on an upswing. Areas like facilities, budgets, etc are being addressed in a positive manner and the early results on the ice are encouraging. LSSU Admin, athletics, coaching staff have all been supportive.....no news headlines there either.

Hopefully other donors will step up and tickets will be sold, which will put things on even more solid footings. Believe me, we do not know or care about who plays or doesn't...EVER. We get up 5-6 weekends a year to watch hockey. This is a Program building project. I believe that last player I spoke to was Jeff Jakitus. It is left to fans to debate players, coaches, power play strategies,etc.
            Hopefully this can shift folks back to hockey talk.......ADIOS,
            Last edited by 3dognight; 06-12-2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
              Speculationns? Rumors? Hard to believe that from the Soo.....Ha!

This Donor group also funded the Goalie Camp, banners, TV Ads, Believe in Blue campaign, Thunder sticks, Billboards,, and several Game Tee nights to the tune of $250k over several years. It is a small group with no LSSU Alums, and not based in SSM, but we have an affinity for LSSU hockey.

What's not to like? The main reason for anonymity at this point is so we are not annoyed by others....not too much to ask,eh? We work quietly and don't feel the overwhelming need for many updates....when you pay the bills you get that consideration.
              We can all agree that the Program is on an upswing. Areas like facilities, budgets, etc are being addressed in a positive manner and the early results on the ice are encouraging. LSSU Admin, athletics, coaching staff have all been supportive.....no news headlines there either.
              Thank you for answering my questions. Your input pulls all the rumors together. What I get out of this is that you were the individual that Coach Roque spoke about to my friend and as Lakerblue stated a few weeks ago and others have said in the past, Coach Roque brought you and your kind donation to LSSU. He should be recognized for this.
              I also get that you are paying the bills and will continue to do so until the project is completed. This validates that the $5M has not been turned over to the University but that is not a concern.
              I think you are saying that none of the donor group has any vested interest in the Laker roster or any present or future players. You know what I am getting at and hopefully this puts to rest the issue that has been getting so much attention. So as I see it I was pretty accurate and I really appreciate your input. With this knowledge, it is beyond me why LSSU does not give Coach Roque a multi-year contract. Maybe they have and have not publicized it. No other team in the new league will have the financial backing that LSSU has and Coach Roque is responsible for this. We have gone from people talking about the program folding a couple years ago to being one of the more secure programs in the country. Thank you Coach Roque and 3dognight.

Comment

Thanks for the update 3dognight. So nice to hear from you instead of the T.S. B.S.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
                  With this knowledge, it is beyond me why LSSU does not give Coach Roque a multi-year contract.
                  Look at the team won-loss records during his tenure as head coach. At best, the Lakers have had a couple of .500 or so seasons. Most seasons have been losing ones. A long term contract based solely upon the Norris Center upgrade and the additional fund raising isn't warranted. On ice results are still a major factor (not the only one) when negotiating a contract, as well they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory
                    Jim Roque Coaching Record Year-by-Year

2011-12 Lake Superior 18 17 5 .512
                    2010-11 Lake Superior 13 17 9 .449
                    2009-10 Lake Superior 15 18 5 .461
                    2008-09 Lake Superior 11 20 8 .385
                    2007-08 Lake Superior 10 20 7 .365
                    2006-07 Lake Superior 21 19 3 .523
                    2005-06 Lake Superior 15 14 7 .514

Now if the current pattern stays true, the 2012-13 win percentage should be somewhere in the .550 range? Or maybe there is no correlation whatsoever? We need a math-guy in here, stat!
                    Roque said this past season that he thought the Lakers were a season away from being a really good team, so the expectations for this coming season will be high. Anything around .500 or below will be considered a poor performance.

Bob Daniels' overall winning percentage may not be great, but he has had some good teams, something Roque has yet to copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory
                      JNACC - Ask and you shall receive, haha.

Thanks for the update 3dognight. Best of luck.
                      Yup...lets hope things stay on track and I'm glad this puts to rest the silly rumors postulated by some that the donors are controlling the on-ice decisions such as who plays and who does not.....

A long term contract based solely upon the Norris Center upgrade and the additional fund raising isn't warranted. On ice results are still a major factor (not the only one) when negotiating a contract, as well they should be.
                      Well stated Bill....fortunately for both Roque and Laker fans, the trend line has been going up but next year is indeed pivotal.

Comment

3dognight..you wouldn't be Canadian by chance..eh ?

Comment

Hard to say. I wouldn't be surprised if a few teams have started to take a look at Czuczman. The big forwards, Jean, Lain and Robinson could spark some interest if any NHL teams like their chances of improving their game some more. Perfetto, if he gets stronger and maybe a little bigger, is a guy with good talent, but probably not being watched yet by NHL teams.
                          I understand that Jean and Czuczman will attend the Sabres development camp, Lain will go to the Predators camp and Robinson is going to the Canuks camp. That's all I've heard to date.

Comment

Thank's for the update 3dog.

Bill, i agree with your last few post's well done.

The last recruit seems like from reading the articles that he will replace Kyle Pobur. He should help the depth of the team being able to play forward as well as defence.
                            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Rumor time:

The new WCHA playoff plan will have both Alaska schools playing each other in the first round, every single year.

Seems odd. And would also seem to diminish the standings a bit.

I don't have the time today to plod through all the other threads on USCHO and see if there is any discussion about the new WCHA playoff scenarios. Anyone else know anything?

Comment

Ok -- here is the link. Thoughts, Laker fans?

http://www.adn.com/2012/06/16/250797...n-playoff.html

Comment

Working...
                                X