Official UNH Wildcats Offseason Thread 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official UNH Wildcats Offseason Thread 2012

The search for a couple of snipers goes on.

Any chatter about possible ooc opponents for next season?

Re: Official UNH Wildcats Offseason Thread 2012

"Climactic Finale to UNH Season"
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Seems oddly early for an off season thread.

When I saw the OOC schedule this past summer, I thought that we were doomed (i.e., not very high profile opponents). But, as things turned out, four of our OOC games were against teams that ended the season well ahead of us, for the moment anyway: Union (W2-1; 7th RPI 0.5499, tied 6th PWR at 25), St. Cloud (L7-5, T3-3; 21st RPI 0.5153, tied 19th PWR at 12), Harvard (L7-6; 23rd RPI 0.5148, tied 22nd PWR at 10). Through this past season, we did not have any choice on Dartmouth at VC (W5-1; 43rd RPI 0.4817). I am glad that we played Huntsville, as that team deserves a schedule in my view, but sorry that we ran up the score (W9-1; 57th RPI 0.3980). Brown nose-dived after beating us (L5-2; 51st RPI 0.4545). At the moment, our RPI is 0.5003 for a TUC, and our SOS is 15th, which is testament to how good Hockey East was this past season.

Hope that we can host one of the more elite teams in the WCHA or CCHA for a two-game visit to Lake Whitt this coming season, and replace Dartmouth with Cornell or Ylae (probably not St. Lawrence, now that Marsh has retired?). But, of course, none of this matters if we cannot put more pucks in the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Seems oddly early for an off season thread.

When I saw the OOC schedule this past summer, I thought that we were doomed (i.e., not very high profile opponents). But, as things turned out, four of our OOC games were against teams that ended the season well ahead of us, for the moment anyway: Union (W2-1; 7th RPI 0.5499, tied 6th PWR at 25), St. Cloud (L7-5, T3-3; 21st RPI 0.5153, tied 19th PWR at 12), Harvard (L7-6; 23rd RPI 0.5148, tied 22nd PWR at 10). Through this past season, we did not have any choice on Dartmouth at VC (W5-1; 43rd RPI 0.4817). I am glad that we played Huntsville, as that team deserves a schedule in my view, but sorry that we ran up the score (W9-1; 57th RPI 0.3980). Brown nose-dived after beating us (L5-2; 51st RPI 0.4545). At the moment, our RPI is 0.5003 for a TUC, and our SOS is 15th, which is testament to how good Hockey East was this past season.

Hope that we can host one of the more elite teams in the WCHA or CCHA for a two-game visit to Lake Whitt this coming season, and replace Dartmouth with Cornell or Ylae (probably not St. Lawrence, now that Marsh has retired?). But, of course, none of this matters if we cannot put more pucks in the net.
        I heard we are playing in Dartmouth holiday tournament next year.

I also think we will see less of St. Lawrence with out the connection to Marsh.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

"DeSmith & van Riemsdyk Make Hockey East All-Rookie Team"
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
            I heard we are playing in Dartmouth holiday tournament next year.

I also think we will see less of St. Lawrence with out the connection to Marsh.
            I think thats a good thing.. I was never a fan of the 3 week break. I dont think its good for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
              I heard we are playing in Dartmouth holiday tournament next year...
              Does that mean we don't play them in Manchester next year? I'd rather play them in their tournament than at the Verizon, for a few reasons, but a chief one is that, as has been stated, the extended break is too long otherwise.
              We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
              ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
              --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                Does that mean we don't play them in Manchester next year? I'd rather play them in their tournament than at the Verizon, for a few reasons, but a chief one is that, as has been stated, the extended break is too long otherwise.
                I heard chatter earlier this season that the mid-January game at Verizon will be vs. Merrimack, not sure how much truth lies within it though.

Comment

Originally posted by jml42691 View Post
                  I heard chatter earlier this season that the mid-January game at Verizon will be vs. Merrimack, not sure how much truth lies within it though.
                  I know that we won't be playing Dartmouth at the Verizon anymore, but not sure who or if there will be someone else.
                  UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                    I think thats a good thing.. I was never a fan of the 3 week break. I dont think its good for the team.
                    They played before New Years this year (vs Brown on Dec 30). So what the break is going to be 2-3 day shorter.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

They are playing in the Dartmouth holiday tournament, and it looks like Merrimack at the Verizon in January.
                      http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...965&source=RSS

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                        They are playing in the Dartmouth holiday tournament, and it looks like Merrimack at the Verizon in January.
                        http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...965&source=RSS
                        So, we will be the "home" team at the Verizon on the Saturday night after playing at Lawlor on the Friday night in January (and playing the third game at the Whitt).

At the the Ledyard this past December, Dartmouth hosted Merrimack, Holy Cross, and our old nemesis St. Lawrence; wonder who the other two teams will be this year?

Comment

I was told that they would try to get a medical redshirt for Speelman but it all depended on adding playoff games because it would increase the percentage of games missed. Anyone have an idea if the percentage was met to redshirt him?

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat13 View Post
                            I was told that they would try to get a medical redshirt for Speelman but it all depended on adding playoff games because it would increase the percentage of games missed. Anyone have an idea if the percentage was met to redshirt him?
                            Unless the NCAA grants a special waiver (not likely) he will not get a redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                              Unless the NCAA grants a special waiver (not likely) he will not get a redshirt.
                              I really really hope he can redshirt.... our #2 player this year.. so heady.
                              Sure he only had 3-3-6 through 11... but that was during our terrible start... so when the rest of the team picked it up.. surely he would've.

We are so heavy on the lefties for next year... Speelman, Sorkin, Goumas, Burke, Downing, Thrush, Correale, McDonald, Gaudreault Vs. Henrion, Silengo, Block, Willows, Camper, Smith, Hill, Pavelski.
                              Pretty much our top 5 guys. It'll be interesting to see the lines.
                              Last edited by Saetia22; 03-17-2012, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X