Final Five Quarterfinals: St, Clooud vs. Fighting Whioux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Five Quarterfinals: St, Clooud vs. Fighting Whioux

Isn't it about time North Dakota gets knocked out of this thing early? It seems like for the past 6 or 7 years UND has been in the championship game every year minus the UMD vs. Denver game.

I don't think this UND team is as good as the ones from the previous years when they smoked us in this tournament. It would be nice to beat them for a change.
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Re: Final Five Quarterfinals: St, Clooud vs. Fighting Whioux

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Isn't it about time North Dakota gets knocked out of this thing early? It seems like for the past 6 or 7 years UND has been in the championship game every year minus the UMD vs. Denver game.

I don't think this UND team is as good as the ones from the previous years when they smoked us in this tournament. It would be nice to beat them for a change.
    You are quite the hockey mind... and everyone thought jan fans were slow.

Comment

This should be one of the best Final 5 tournaments in years. Attendance should be great and the weather could not be any better for this time of year. Not to mention the field is stacked with 6 solid teams. Should be a great long weekend in St. Paul.

I am too chicken to even throw around any predictions. UND has had our number, but the way SCSU has played the last couple of weeks, I sure can't count them out.

Great to see MTU back at the X. The Gophers have to be the favorite with the home town advantage. They have all of the components necessary with Goaltending, great D, and offensive firepower. Hard to look past Denver either.

Huskies are on fire right now. In the last 10 games their power play is clicking at 34% and the PK is at 83%. Meanwhile, Lee is at .945 with a 1.68 GAA. Hope the Huskies can continue their run. It has been a fun ride to get the X, hope we can make some more noise and extend our season.

Is UND a lock for the NCAA at this point win or loose? If UND were to loose Thursday, I'd have to think they would be right on the bubble for an at-large bid.

Comment

my prediction is that UND lets loose on thursday.

Comment

Unless craziness happens with all four leagues having upset league winners UND should make the NCAA tournament no matter what they do at the F5.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
            You mean like bowel incontinence? Good lord that sounds horrible.

I have no idea what to expect from this game. The way SCSU has been playing as of late I would like to think they have a real good chance. UND is always tough though, second half of the year at least.
            Last edited by Duder; 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
              I am too chicken to even throw around any predictions. UND has had our number, but the way SCSU has played the last couple of weeks, I sure can't count them out.
              I wouldn't say UND has had SCSU's number this year. The two teams split both series' played this year. My question is, who does St. Cloud start in net? Mike Lee seems to have a hard time playing against UND or Faragher, who has proven to be a bane for UND on more than one occaision? (Lee is 0-5-1 against UND)

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                I wouldn't say UND has had SCSU's number this year. The two teams split both series' played this year. My question is, who does St. Cloud start in net? Mike Lee seems to have a hard time playing against UND or Faragher, who has proven to be a bane for UND on more than one occaision? (Lee is 0-5-1 against UND)
                Mike Lee will start.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                  Maybe a really bad loss requires an extra o. You lose if you are beaten by 3 or fewer goals, but if you are defeated by 4 or more you loose.
                  Originally posted by SJHovey
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  Originally posted by Brenthoven
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

You gotta play Mike Lee... This is his team and since he came back he's been on fire. Even throwing in his first game back at MN, his GAA and save percentage are off the charts, .947 and 1.70. On the other hand Faragher is only 2-2-0 against UND and Lee hasn't faced them in over a year. Last time Lee went to the X against an opponent he'd struggled against was two years ago when just two series before he gave up 7 (albeit on 50 shots) to UW but then played arguably his best game in cardinal and black by shutting out the Badgers in the Final Five. Let's hope he has another redeemer against the Sioux DAMMIT
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post

North Dakota has played well in the Final Five recently, going 11-5 under Dave Hakstol, winning 3 Broadmoors in 7 attempts (playing in the title game 1 other time). That being said, it will likely come down to goaltending and defensive miscues. What is interesting, is that North Dakota is a collective 6-7-1 against the other 5 teams in the Final Five, and the only team they have a winning record against this year is Tech, who they could only play in the title game. It will be an uphill road for the Sioux, and SCSU is definitely a difficult squad to square off against early. My guess is these two teams give each other their all, and then whoever advances is too tired against Minnesota. It should be a tight game, and I wouldn't be surprised with overtime. Now...if only there was a way that I could skip classes and watch the game.
                      Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

The only way either of these 2 teams should be "too tired" the next night is if this game goes multiple overtimes.
                        Both teams swept their first round opponents and they get close to 24 hours to rest before the next game.
                        Neither team should be tired in my opinion.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                          This should be one of the best Final 5 tournaments in years. Attendance should be great and the weather could not be any better for this time of year.
                          Early rumor has the SCSU - CIC designated tent located at Tom Reid's Bar.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            The only way either of thesae 2 teams should be "too tired" the next night is if this game goes multiple overtimes.
                            Both teams swept their first round opponents and they get close to 24 hours to rest before the next game.
                            Neither team should be tired in my opinion.
                            This will be an emotionally draining game. Physically, they shouldn't be too bad, but I think the mental and emotional toll of a SCSU-UND game will be a lot to overcome within 24 hours. Plus, as I mentioned, I think the game stands a good chance to go to overtime as both teams are quite equal on paper. That being said, either school should be jacked up to play the Gophers on Friday Night. However, I still think that the style of play between SCSU and UND does not bode well for either side Friday night.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              You gotta play Mike Lee... This is his team and since he came back he's been on fire. Even throwing in his first game back at MN, his GAA and save percentage are off the charts, .947 and 1.70. On the other hand Faragher is only 2-2-0 against UND and Lee hasn't faced them in over a year. Last time Lee went to the X against an opponent he'd struggled against was two years ago when just two series before he gave up 7 (albeit on 50 shots) to UW but then played arguably his best game in cardinal and black by shutting out the Badgers in the Final Five. Let's hope he has another redeemer against the Sioux DAMMIT
                              Right on Euro. How many times did Lee beat UNO before this past weekend? I think Faragher is great, But lee has earned the start. I just hope if he struggles, Bob has him on a short leash. Faragher has also earned that right as well.

This is going to be a great weekend of college hockey!

Comment

Working...
                              X