X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2016

"Update on UNH Recruits and National Letter of Intent"
    Last edited by C-H-C; 04-28-2015, 02:43 PM.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

In November, 2013, Dylan Chanter, Shane Eiserman, and Cameron Marks signed an NLI during the early signing period. Last November, Liam Blackburn signed an NLI.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Other teams are far more proactive in announcing signings, even if the signing is (as you point out Dan), ceremonial because the LOI will not extend into the following year for a deferred player. I think psychologically it keeps the player bound to the program and makes them feel the program has committed to them, even if that commitment would expire.
        The agreements included in a signed National Letter of Intent (NLI) apparently can be deferred:

Excerpts:

"I have received the following confirmation from Michelle Bronner, Senior Associate Director for Compliance at UNH, that the agreement included in an National Letter of Intent can be deferred:
        'The quick answer is yes an NLI can be deferred. There is a provision in the letter of intent #7c that states “This NLI shall be declared null and void if I have not attended any institution for at least one academic year, provided my request for athletics financial aid for a subsequent fall term is denied by the signing institution.” So as long as a school holds a scholarship for the individual and makes it available the NLI remains in effect.' "

"Last November, Mike McMahon clarified this point in the "NLI Primer" he wrote for the College Hockey News.
        'How long is an NLI good for? Originally NLIs were meant to be signed the year before you begin competition for a college program. However, an NLI can be deferred for up to four years if agreed upon by the school and player. It's possible a player signs an NLI as a 17-year-old senior in high school but defers for three seasons to play junior or prep hockey and doesn't start with his NCAA program until he is 20 years old.' "

Comment

"Clarification: Update on UNH Recruits and National Letter of Intent"

Clarification

Two days ago, I sought clarification from the National Letter of Intent Program on the question of deferring an NLI. I just received a return call from Susan Peal, the Director of the National Letter of Intent. She explained that the prospective student-athlete who has signed an NLI either during the November, 2014 early signing period or the current signing period, has the option to delay enrollment until Fall 2016. This is up to the discretion of the prospective student-athlete and can not be imposed by the college/university. This clarification appears to contradict one aspect of the "NLI Primer" article from the College Hockey News. A delay, if initiated by the prospective student-athlete, is for one year.

Comment

"UNH Recruit Christopher Miller Set to Join UNH in Fall 2015"

Comment

Hard to see Miller being a major part of the program, but always nice to see in-state kids in the mix.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Nazarian is coming in now, tweeted "Wildcats class of 2019"

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  Nazarian is coming in now, tweeted "Wildcats class of 2019"
                  Hoping you're right. Can't claim to have tons of contacts, but those I do have, have nothing but good things to say about this kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Hoping you're right. Can't claim to have tons of contacts, but those I do have, have nothing but good things to say about this kid.
                    I got confirmation last Thursday, the 23rd, that Ara Nazarian, Marcus Vela, Jason Kalinowski, and Frankie Cefalu are enrolling next fall:

Got confirmation from Chris Miller on Friday.

Comment

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2018

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                      I got confirmation last Thursday, the 23rd, that Ara Nazarian, Marcus Vela, Jason Kalinowski, and Frankie Cefalu are enrolling next fall:

Got confirmation from Chris Miller on Friday.
                      Sorry Mike, once the discussion turned to the subtleties of NLI's, I admittedly switched off.

Still grappling with the comments from Coach Harris comparing MacDonald to JvR.

Further evidence on why I usually stand clear of the recruiting discussions ...

Comment

‏UNH's #GoalieoftheFuture #MikeRobinson featured on @THNRyanKennedy Prospect Hot List: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/pr...cat-formation/

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Great player, great kid. And he went to same school as Vechionne which is worth a half point a game

Comment

Confirmation that Brendan van Riemsdyk will play one more season with the Islanders Hockey Club (USPHL) and come to UNH in Fall 2016. Also, Liam Darcy will play on the same team as BvR next year.
                            http://www.usajuniorhockey.com/2015/...y-preparation/
                            Last edited by C-H-C; 05-06-2015, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                              Confirmation that Brendan van Riemsdyk will play one more season with the Islanders Hockey Club (USPHL) and come to UNH in Fall 2016. Also, Liam Darcy will play on the same team as BvR next year.
                              http://www.usajuniorhockey.com/2015/...y-preparation/
                              I guess that makes sense, as it appears that the Cats already have 17 or 18 forwards on the roster, depending on whether Liam Blackburn comes this year?

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                "Clarification: Update on UNH Recruits and National Letter of Intent"

Clarification

Two days ago, I sought clarification from the National Letter of Intent Program on the question of deferring an NLI. I just received a return call from Susan Peal, the Director of the National Letter of Intent. She explained that the prospective student-athlete who has signed an NLI either during the November, 2014 early signing period or the current signing period, has the option to delay enrollment until Fall 2016. This is up to the discretion of the prospective student-athlete and can not be imposed by the college/university. This clarification appears to contradict one aspect of the "NLI Primer" article from the College Hockey News. A delay, if initiated by the prospective student-athlete, is for one year.
                                Hahaha, yeah sure...

As you stated, NLI provision 7(c) states the following - "an NLI shall be declared null and void if the prospect has not attended any institution for at least one academic year."

NLI provision 7(c) says NOTHING about, and was written in NO PART to allow prospects to defer NLI's. It was written to protect schools from prospects who wanted to get out of NLI's so badly they were willing to forgo enrollment and wait a year in an effort to attend another institution. Essentially making the NLI binding to that student-athlete and force them to sit out a second year of residence (along with equipping the NLI institution with the ability to block transfers - per transfer rules) if a player wanted to go that route.

Creative compliance officers at hockey schools have read between the lines and used the NCAA's vague, legalese verbiage to manipulate the system and protect their recruited prospects from being poached by other schools while they keep them tucked away in junior hockey. It was an institutional serving rule in the first place and has become more so within NCAA hockey...

Certainly, the school can 'convince' the player that it is 'his choice' - they can also pull the aid offer after a year, making the NLI null and void and cut the kid loose. Do you really think that all of those players who signed to Notre Dame a year early (Watcher's post) signed their NLI and THEN decided themselves they wanted to spend an extra year in juniors? Nope, with the gentlemen's agreement dissolved, Notre Dame told those players they would sign (to protect ND from poachings) but not matriculate for another year...

As I stated earlier in this thread - if this type of NLI manipulation was occuring, it was simply a creative interpretation of the rules by coaches and compliance officers that I was not aware of. I'm more convinced than ever that that is all it is. One coach/compliance department at a hockey school interprets the provision in this fashion - because the provision is not specific enough to prevent them from doing so, UNH begins to interpret the rule in the same way to keep up with the Jones-es. This is how NCAA compliance and coach manipulation works - where the spirit of the rule is often trampled by the interpretation and loop holes the rule creates. So nothing in my point of view has changed, except that I am now aware of a new and unique way for coaches to manipulate a rule in sports where prospects don't matriculate directly to college at 18.

I understand you've quoted two direct sources and done the research in an attempt to simply educate posters on the board. I've worked in NCAA recruiting world for 12 years - I know how things actually work. Bonner is simply regurgitating the interpretation that UNH has adopted because other programs have adopted it. The NCAA source is just responding based on the interpretation that was brought to them - which they are unable to do anything about because of the vague way the rule was written in the first place - except she adds the piece about the decision must be the student-athletes. That makes it sound like the student-athlete has a choice, which I promise you they truly do not...

Fortunately, UNH is blessed with a coach with the ethical make-up not to abuse the rule. Umile doesn't strike me as one who would pull the offer and stick it to Blackburn if he has a bad year.

Unfortunately, UNH is stuck with an old dog coach who even when he tries to learn a new trick applies it incorrectly. In my opinion, deferring Blackburn to 2016-17 is a HUGE mistake. One that will effect UNH this season and in the years to come. If you want to apply this rule, you apply it to someone like Nazarian - a young, slight prospect who has a lot of ability, but has not quite put it all together. Nazarian's first season in the USHL was a lot like Poturalski's, meaning HE is likely the type of player who benefits from a second season.

Blackburn, meanwhile, dominated in the BCHL last season - he gains very little by going back there and putting up 85-90 points instead of 70. Blackburn is good enough to play a regular shift and an important role THIS FALL. So why is he not coming? Its easy to assume its because Umile doesn't want to bring in another player who might put him in the position of sitting upper-classmen. Especially upper-classmen with letters.

Kalinowski, Cefalu & Miller are hardly threats to surpass anyone - since Nazarian is coming, he should play, but he's a huge candidate to get the Umile treatment (5-8, 180, -10 in the USHL last year) that all small, young, 'not ready defensively' players get. Which would leave us with a forward class of one, in Marcus Vela, joining last year's team minus Downing & Willows...

I hear so many excuses about why UNH can't compete for talent - poor facilities, location, admissions, blah blah blah. That's all they are - excuses. This coaching staff is what keeps UNH from bringing top talent to Durham with poor evaluations, poor handling of committed recruits and a history of deferring and sitting talented young players on the bench in lieu of older, ' more experienced' and 'safer' recruiting misses...
                                Last edited by Dan; 05-12-2015, 11:10 AM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X