This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI Off-Season Thread 2012: An Off-Season to Be Optimistic

Lousy title. I know, but I figured that it would be bad form to ask for suggestions.
    Had we lost to Clarkson I was going to use “After An Off-Season Comes a Loooong Off-Season,” but IMO that doesn't apply anymore.

Today is 10 March 2012. There are 210 days (30 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-18-2012, 01:21 PM.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2012: An Off-Season to Be Optimistic

Wait! Make sure they're eliminated from the NCAA Tournament before you start the Off-season thr---.

Oops. Never mind.
    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

i am very glad we were able to finish the season well and win the first round of the playoffs. Getting to the second round was something I could never expect given the way this team had played for 3/4 of the season. Frustrating to lose to Union-but we were not destroyed in those games-we did a bit of self destruction but showed that we could give a number 1 seed team a lot to handle for the most part. We are losing a couple of players that we will certainly miss. Malchuk, Cullen and perhaps Bergin(who could elect to play one more year if he desires). I want to thank all of the boys leaving for the effort and devotion they gave to the RPI hockey program.
      For next year-what we already have remaining will all have a year of experience under their collective belts. This freshman class has a lot of talent and if they can stay healthy (which was a major problem much of this year) we should be a better offensive club. Our incoming class looks like we will be adding some offense but will still have to win low scoring close games to be able to compete. Next year may well depend on how far the defense and goaltending can take us with some increase in offensive scoring added. i hope we do not have to go through a season scoring only 78 goals (averaging only 2 per game). That just does not leave any room for error and we are certainly not an error free team.
      Regardless, I will be here for my 50th year of following RPI hockey. It is always the most exciting 6 months of the year (and quite often the most frustrating). I greatly appreciate the opinions and information from all of our posters and hope we can all stay around for another year of ups, downs, and sarcastic wit.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Always tough and sad seeing the season end so soon but the team didnt give up and didnt stop. They could have thrown in the towel weeks ago but they didnt and for that Im proud of these boys. This season was tough to handle at times but it will only make the team stronger and our fanbase stronger for those who actually stuck around and didnt jump ship at the first chance. I will still check in from time to time during the offseason but I just wanna thank everyone who stuck with this team and showed up night in and night out on the boards or at the field house or on the road. Your all what makes me proud to be an RPI fan and a fan of college hockey in general....October cannot come fast enough now.
        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

postgame interviews....SA, Bergin & Higgs. Interesting that Higgsy is one. Could SA be grooming him for the next 2 years, i.e. "C" or "A" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60FjPUPVPVY
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Today is 12 March 2011. There are 209 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-18-2012, 01:21 PM.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
              postgame interviews....SA, Bergin & Higgs. Interesting that Higgsy is one. Could SA be grooming him for the next 2 years, i.e. "C" or "A" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60FjPUPVPVY
              It wouldn't surprise me, but he also might have been there because he scored a goal.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                Interesting thought Turk...you may be right. I noticed that Higgsie took the faceoff in U's end late in the game with the extra skater. Marty O. might be a candidate also.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I'll add my congrats to the RPI squad for a really fun ride down the stretch. They rallied hard and gave us all reason to be optimistic for next season. Aside from a win or two in Schenectady, it'd be hard to top the last three weeks. I really like what I see from the freshmen -- A LOT of growth from the boys in the 2nd half. I hope this off-season they remember these last few weeks and what it took to play that well.

Always a great day to be an RPI fan. Thank you Seniors!
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    Interesting thought Turk...you may be right. I noticed that Higgsie took the faceoff in U's end late in the game with the extra skater. Marty O. might be a candidate also.
                    Bailen perhaps too. Not personally knowing the leadership qualities of the players, it could be most anyone.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Bailen perhaps too. Not personally knowing the leadership qualities of the players, it could be most anyone.
                      Would it be unheard of to go without a captain? Perhaps just a duo or trio of assistant captains? This team next year will be again very young and i fully expect it to be led by the sophomores and juniors with hopefully the new freshmen fitting in quickly. i can't say i have been happy with these 20+ loss seasons we seem to be accumulting over the past few years but i am already excited for next year and as always my hope springs eternal for RPI hockey.
                      Last edited by DrDemento; 03-11-2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Maybe it is just me, but it seems really hard for incoming freshmen to flourish without the help of the upperclassmen.
                        D'Amigo and Pirri came in and played very well, but they had Polacek and Helfrich to help them (especially on the ice).
                        This years freshmen had no accomplished scoreres to take some of the pressure off.
                        These guys have talent, and I see a huge increase in scoring next year.
                        Not only will they be better, but they will help the incoming freshmen. After Higgs, there is not a lot of scoring in the upperclassmen, but they are a great group of workmen.
                        I like our defensive core and the goalies look capable.
                        We will have a good mix of grinders and scorers and if we can find the chemistry, we will be tough to beat.
                        And that is why I like the off season, hope springs eternal.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          Maybe it is just me, but it seems really hard for incoming freshmen to flourish without the help of the upperclassmen.
                          D'Amigo and Pirri came in and played very well, but they had Polacek and Helfrich to help them (especially on the ice).
                          This years freshmen had no accomplished scoreres to take some of the pressure off.
                          These guys have talent, and I see a huge increase in scoring next year.
                          Not only will they be better, but they will help the incoming freshmen. After Higgs, there is not a lot of scoring in the upperclassmen, but they are a great group of workmen.
                          I like our defensive core and the goalies look capable.
                          We will have a good mix of grinders and scorers and if we can find the chemistry, we will be tough to beat.
                          And that is why I like the off season, hope springs eternal.
                          Very sensible. And watch for a few others to really show the improvement. I expect a lot from Matt Tinordi and Luke Curadi. In addtion to their talent they seem to jus have the right temperment on the ice. When you bang up against them, you know you can expect to feel something rock solid that bangs back.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Very sensible. And watch for a few others to really show the improvement. I expect a lot from Matt Tinordi and Luke Curadi. In addtion to their talent they seem to jus have the right temperment on the ice. When you bang up against them, you know you can expect to feel something rock solid that bangs back.
                            Totally agree with those two.
                            Also, I was greatly surprised by Leboeuf (even if I have to look up the spelling of his name every time) this season. Leonard is going to be a good one for three more years.
                            The defense looks solid.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

OK, I'm back from the *HT where I had to get out a bunch of bent-up anger. Here are a few good things we can take from this year.

1. If you assume a scatter plot of our games, there is a general slope of improvement. Since we're not yet at the pro level, you really want this.
                              2. We played more official D-I games this year than last. It's a technicality, but if you count up the games, it's true.
                              3. Coach is finally taking charge and leading the team. Not to say he wasn't before, but I think he was more of a figure-head in the past.

Things that still need to improve:

1. Consistency in high performance. Not consistently ****.
                              2. Focus in game play. Coach can put together system he wants, say anything he wants, but when push comes to shove, there needs to be focus, elimination of distractions, and perfect execution of the process from those on the ice. Let's face it, it's no different when you're out of hockey and dealing with the real world.
                              3. Eliminating the playoff curse. We haven't made it to the championship weekend since the institution of the Union rule, and we're the only team that hasn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X