X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2012: An Off-Season to Be Optimistic

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    the coaching staff has to be doing SOMETHING right.
    That's good to know.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      That's good to know.
      You didn't think they were?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        You didn't think they were?
        Note the .
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Note the .
          so i herd u liek smiliez...

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            I don't have any statistics, but it seems to me that we have a lot more. Especially in the AHL.
            Looking forward to seeing some of them in the NHL.
            Its been a while since Pothier had a regular job in the NHL.
            It has seemed to run in streaks. There was a time when we seemed to have some and then almost none. But then again, in the old days we mostly just followed the NHL level. Now with the internet coverage available we have access to so much more. Sometimes i wonder about the old days when we had those great teams in the 1960's and how many of thse boys would have played professionally if there were enough teams and the NHL was comprised of more teams. (excluding 1965-66 of course)
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Why do I think that there would be another RPI rule after this.
              Meh, the ECAC refs won't read the rule change anyway, so it won't matter

Comment

Originally posted by HighlanderRPI View Post
                Meh, the ECAC refs won't read the rule change anyway, so it won't matter
                Getting back to the ECAC, this whole no TV of final four is just another reason your going to see ivies jump. Wonder if the Ivies will miss Paul Stewart?
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  Sometimes i wonder about the old days when we had those great teams in the 1960's and how many of thse boys would have played professionally if there were enough teams and the NHL was comprised of more teams. (excluding 1965-66 of course)
                  Bob Brinkworth (class of '64) played several years in the AHL when the NHL had no more than 12 teams. He probably could have gotten at least a cup of coffee if there were as many NHL teams as there are today.

Jerry Knightley (class of '65), was pretty nearly Brinkworth's equal, but chose to go to graduate school in Canada. If I recall correctly, since graduate students were allowed to play varsity hockey for Canadian colleges, Knightley actually returned to the Field House to play against RPI in a subsequent year.

There was also a fellow named Jim Josephson (class of '62). Although I was several years away from college age, I lived in the Troy area and I can remember reading a newspaper article indicating that Ned Harkness was disappointed when Josephson decided not to go pro. I don't remember what Josephson actually chose to do, but Harkness really thought he had a shot at the NHL - and that was when there were only six teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                    Bob Brinkworth (class of '64) played several years in the AHL when the NHL had no more than 12 teams. He probably could have gotten at least a cup of coffee if there were as many NHL teams as there are today.

Jerry Knightley (class of '65), was pretty nearly Brinkworth's equal, but chose to go to graduate school in Canada. If I recall correctly, since graduate students were allowed to play varsity hockey for Canadian colleges, Knightley actually returned to the Field House to play against RPI in a subsequent year.

There was also a fellow named Jim Josephson (class of '62). Although I was several years away from college age, I lived in the Troy area and I can remember reading a newspaper article indicating that Ned Harkness was disappointed when Josephson decided not to go pro. I don't remember what Josephson actually chose to do, but Harkness really thought he had a shot at the NHL - and that was when there were only six teams.
                    Knightley and Bruce Tisdall both played against RPI while at grad school at U. Western Ontario.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 15 March 2012. There are 205 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-18-2012, 01:19 PM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ralph, your attention is requested in the Pick the Playoffs thread
                        Originally posted by vicb View Post
                        Ties are not a choice. You must pick a winner. If the game ends in a tie the team with the most shots on goal will be declared the winner by me .
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                          Ralph, your attention is requested in the Pick the Playoffs thread
                          thanks
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

I totally believe Brinkworth and Knightley could have played at the NHL level today. I also think Bill Sack would have had that kind of career. There are probably others from both the 60's and even the early 70's. But the number of NHL organizations was limited.
                            We can only imagine if any of the earlier players could have made it from the Harkness years.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                              Getting back to the ECAC, this whole no TV of final four is just another reason your going to see ivies jump. Wonder if the Ivies will miss Paul Stewart?
                              There are just too many reasons for them to leave. I agree with you-I see this as not if but when.(and I do not think we will have long to wait)

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                He is an Ivy League grad (Penn), maybe he'll be named their first commissioner...

Comment

Working...
                                X