Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Tonights game comes down to: GOALTENDING...said it before and will say it again...Cannata is a Legit series stealing netminder,while Sullivan needs to make the saves he's suppose to make and the D needs to make that easier also,if Maine can't skate tonight or have a in game change of plans then it will be a Long Night in store for the Black Bears. AND lets hope its a Hockey Game...Not how many players can fit in a penalty box per period. lets PLAY Hockey..!!!
    Good Analysis!

A game just like Friday in that Maine stayed out of the box and controlled tempo. D did a good job clearing the net front to not allow second chances. Still don't understand how Anthoine's goal is disallowed. Rule is can not be kicked in with a distinct kicking motion. He is driving the net, turns skates to stop as Cannata kicks it and goes off Anthoine and in. Maine showed resilience and played a good third. Hope Parker is not injured as bad as it looked, the kid can play.

Power play will need to get better for BU.

And oh yeah, we're going back to the TOURNAMENT, and by that I mean the NCAA's. Despite how badly Dennehy outcoached Tim tonight! Again as a non-apologist why is it on the coaches when we lose and just the players when Maine wins????

I give everybody credit, and Dan Sullivan's improvement has been key!!

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
      . Despite how badly Dennehy outcoached Tim tonight!
      Examples? Not arguing, just trying to see if you meant "last night" instead of "tonight"?

Comment

Originally posted by whatever View Post
        Examples? Not arguing, just trying to see if you meant "last night" instead of "tonight"?
        He was being sarcastic. Over the moon right now. I love this year's team and have from day one.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by whatever View Post
          Uh was using sarcasm! Just forgot to use this face. Many were blaming Maine's coaches for last nights loss, but you'll see that no one credits the coaches tonight!

Maine executed its game plan perfectly, just like they did on Friday. Credit to everyone! Still 11th in the pairwise.

Comment

I'll give the coaches credit. And since [blank] rolls uphill, you can read that as giving credit to Whitehead.

With just a couple exceptions, Maine kept their composure much better tonight. Good effort.

Also, I was one of the first to jump the gun on the NCAA berth. It hasn't happened yet. Still a lot of underdogs, and a loss v BU could put Maine in a position where they're vulnerable to Cinderella autobids.

But the odds are in their favor. A good game against BU would almost definitely clinch it. So, no letups just quite yet.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Great, gutty win tonight. This series will benefit Maine going forward.....and i mean forward to the NCAA's!!! Can't wait to be in the Gahdin next weekend. Glad they're playing at 8 so I don't have to pull the boy out of school early. I really want a Maine/BC final. A chance for a little redemption for two years ago. Again, nice job boys! (BTW doesn't everyone think that Walshy would've been tossed after that embelishment call on Abbott? I do!)

Comment

A lot of Maine fans (including me) criticized Tim's response to the whole Abbott/Diamond/2-handed slash etc thing, but I said it was about keeping an even keel, setting an example for the players. I thought it was the wrong tack, but Maine took NO penalties from then on.

Haven't checked the pairwise yet, but I don't see how Maine can miss the tournament now. They can't fall behind any teams on the bubble. I suppose it's possible if they lose to BU on Friday AND the WCHA winner is St. Cloud, Tech or Wisconsin AND the CCHA winner is Bowling Green AND the ECAC winner is Colgate or Harvard. That would put the cut line at #12. Will run some scenarios, but I can't fathom them falling out now.

Comment

I'm sure that Tim instructed his guys not to rise to the fly when MC pulled it's inevitable crap... And they did just that, but Bennedetto et al. didn't reward their restraint.

This game was actually called even more poorly than was last night's abortion. By any reasonable logic, there should never be a penalty and a dive called on the same incident... If you are tripped, you're tripped, and whether of not you go to the ice flailing your arms, or not, is meaningless. (And Abbott took that cheap ***** like man.)

So, I'll give Tim kudos for having his team ready for MC's BS, but I can't forgive him for not screeching like a banshee after the above happened, and after a couple of other awful calls... He nods affably while being screwed; I can't figure that out.

OK, anyway, great jump by Maine again tonight, a la Friday. This team does not have the hands of a vintage Bears squad, but they have better wheels than many of them, from top-to-bottom. They go balls-out from here on, they could go deep. (And yes, Sully has been the cornerstone of this entire resurgence.)

GO BLUE.

Comment

Well, Wisconsin is ahead of DU. So it's already started.

(says the pairwise hypochondriac)

I probably won't be comfortable until it's set in stone.
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

• Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

This game was actually called even more poorly than was last night's abortion. By any reasonable logic, there should never be a penalty and a dive called on the same incident... If you are tripped, you're tripped, and whether of not you go to the ice flailing your arms, or not, is meaningless. (And Abbott took that cheap ***** like man.)

(And yes, Sully has been the cornerstone of this entire resurgence.)

GO BLUE.
                      This. I don't even understand why they need an embellishment penalty. Just call the thing unsportsmanlike conduct and not call the trip/slash/hook whatever.
                      Last edited by chripy; 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM. Reason: hook not hokk

Comment

Who are you facing next?

Comment

(4) Maine plays (3) Boston University in the HE Semi Finals.

Comment

Originally posted by rob View Post
                            who are you facing next?
                            Jackie and company

Comment

OK. This is what has to happen for Maine to miss the tournament.

Hockey East: Lose to BU on Friday after BC loses to Providence. Providence to beat BU.
                              AND
                              ECAC: Colgate or Harvard to win the autobid.
                              AND
                              WCHA: Wisconsin beats Denver tonight, NoDak on Thursday, the Gophers on Friday and win Saturday.
                              OR
                              The winner of Tech-SCSU upsets their opponents on both Friday and Saturday.

Oh, and Bowling Green also has to defeat Michigan on Friday and then win the CCHA Tournament on Saturday.

That would be a hell of a parlay.

I can see one or maybe two of those happening. Wisconsin is on a roll and who knows what will happen in the ECAC, but it's hard to see Providence beating BC and nearly impossible to see Bowling Green winning a pair at the Joe.

Comment

Been a long time coming. Congrats to the boys for putting this together. Congrats to Sully

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X