Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Originally posted by rude1979us View Post
    Was I seeing things or at one point did Benadetto (sp?) pull on the MC coaches tie while he was leaning over talking about a penalty that had just been called?
    Wouldn't surprise me. They were really involved in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Hats off is the right call, MC has a plan that allowed them to win, Did Maine?, totally outcoached, totally outplayed and Dennehy gets his players to actually do what he says.
      Do you have a game plan prepared for the referees completely ******* up a game? The whole thing was a joke last night. Hopefully there are different referees for tonight's game.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

One of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. The referees took control and dictated everything about the game. I've always said that the best officials are the ones you don't notice. Some officials don't realize that the spectators pay to watch the players and not the officials. They arbitrarily called penalties while ignoring numerous obvious ones right in front of them. When they realized they made a bad call they immediately made another make up call. The game lasted almost 3 hours for crying out loud. There was no flow to the game at all.

Maine is the more skilled team and it was obvious that MC's strategy was to "dumb the game down" by getting Maine's skilled players in the box, while slashing, hooking and otherwise impeding them all over the ice every chance they had. I'm not sure when I've seen so many broken sticks from slashes. Slashing, hooking, obstruction are great defensive tactics if you can get away with it.

It was obvious that MC was hungrier and wanted the game more, they played with more desperation. Hope the boys come to play tonight like their season's on the line which it might be.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
          I am sure every body on the staff was imploring them to turn the other cheek, but they did not do it, t!
          I honestly do not think that tim noticed that he needed to change his game plan, or what Dennehy was doing.
          I have no proof, just a hunch.
          if he had a clue, then Diamond, Abbott and ONeill would not have been in the box each with 14 minutes of penalties to close out the game pawn takes queen, rook AND bishop... AND checkmate all in one move

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyman99 View Post
            One of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. The referees took control and dictated everything about the game. I've always said that the best officials are the ones you don't notice. Some officials don't realize that the spectators pay to watch the players and not the officials. They arbitrarily called penalties while ignoring numerous obvious ones right in front of them. When they realized they made a bad call they immediately made another make up call. The game lasted almost 3 hours for crying out loud. There was no flow to the game at all.

Maine is the more skilled team and it was obvious that MC's strategy was to "dumb the game down" by getting Maine's skilled players in the box, while slashing, hooking and otherwise impeding them all over the ice every chance they had. I'm not sure when I've seen so many broken sticks from slashes. Slashing, hooking, obstruction are great defensive tactics if you can get away with it.

It was obvious that MC was hungrier and wanted the game more, they played with more desperation. Hope the boys come to play tonight like their season's on the line which it might be.
            in defense of the officials, they do not write the book, if the players break the rules, then there is no guaruntee that there will be "flow to the game"...AND the game is not played for the fans.

that said, I have to agree that it was a terribly officiated game from the standpoint of the make up calls (which I do not believe in) AND the unwillingness to call 2 minors for the instigator and only one for the retaliator whenever possible.

that said... we all loved it when Shawn's teams played like that and got under everyone's skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              Do you have a game plan prepared for the referees completely ******* up a game? The whole thing was a joke last night. Hopefully there are different referees for tonight's game.
              Dennehy did, that is the point... Dennehy is just knowledgable enough to know how a playoff game is going to be called... and he kept swapping penalties all night.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Gee, does Timmay ever make an in game change, no would be your answer
                Stop whining about the refs, the refs didn't make Joey be an idiot, the refs didn't make most of the team stand there and watch MC beat them to the puck, the Refs make MC want it more. You guys sound like UNH fans and that ain't a compliment
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

The first facemask call was absolutely stupid, MC players have enough discipline to take the first penalty and then just stand there and let Maine do what they want and Joey was more than happy to oblige.

Anyone else think Tim should have pulled the goalie way earlier than he did?

Maine is mentally soft and have been for years,
                  Dennehy pulled Canata with 5-mins. remaining against U-Mass, ending up losing 5-1.

Comment

Originally posted by rude1979us View Post
                    Was I seeing things or at one point did Benadetto (sp?) pull on the MC coaches tie while he was leaning over talking about a penalty that had just been called?
                    That happened, can't understand it why Bennie is playing around with Dennehy but he was

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                      Dennehy pulled Canata with 5-mins. remaining against U-Mass, ending up losing 5-1.
                      We had a PP down 4-2,

Comment

If MC wins tonight Maine doesn't deserve to go to the NCAAs......then the fun begins. We saw who out coached and which team out played who last nite....let's see what timmay has besides his gum, sting hair and bobble head mode!

Comment

watch the post game interviews on themackreport.com

the first and the third player interviewed seem to have a cold... the kind OHanley and Motherwell used to get.... the first guy had pupils the size of tennis balls... wow.

Comment

Gee, does Timmay ever make an in game change, no would be your answer
                            Stop whining about the refs, the refs didn't make Joey be an idiot, the refs didn't make most of the team stand there and watch MC beat them to the puck, the Refs make MC want it more. You guys sound like UNH fans and that ain't a compliment
                            It wasn't the joey stuff that drove me crazy, it was all the cheap penalties that were called in the first period. Maine never got out of first gear with all the disruptions, it wasn't even hockey.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

The first facemask call was absolutely stupid, MC players have enough discipline to take the first penalty and then just stand there and let Maine do what they want and Joey was more than happy to oblige.

Anyone else think Tim should have pulled the goalie way earlier than he did?

Maine is mentally soft and have been for years,
                              Soft, and not mentally disciplined either. I don't know if Whitehead had them prepared for the type of game that they found themselves in, but he should have. And if he hadn't, it should have been quite clear after the first what things were gonna be like all game long, and made sure his team were ready for it, could walk away instead of retaliating all night long. He probably did.

But whether he's just not forceful enough to impose his will on the players, or they're not mentally strong enough to do this, they continued to play right into Merrimack's hands all night long.

I don't have positive hopes for tonight's game, Merrimack is in their heads now.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

There's a fifth student bus on the way from North Andover to Alfond, so get ready for some more noise. About 20% of the MC student body is now in Orono.

But those students are in for a rude awakening...when they were cleaning up last night the Alfond staff found empty beer bottles left by the Merrimack students. That makes the Alfond staff very unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X