PDA

View Full Version : Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33

GoMaine24
03-24-2012, 02:15 AM
It's worth noting that last week BU and (I'm pretty sure) BC were both on spring break, so a lot of fans weren't able to attend.

Why? Shouldn't that mean they had more free time? Almost 2,400 of BC's undergrads are from Massachusetts. Another 1,100+ are from the other New England states. Maine students who attended traveled 8 hours roundtrip and had class on Monday.

And the students aren't the majority of the fans who show up. Isn't it likely that there are more BC alums in Massachusetts than UMaine alums?

BU was theoretically worse. Three times the student population and thus alumni base, and they were outnumbered 4:1 in their own city. If you think I'm exaggerating, check out that 360 degree photo they took of the arena that night.

TripleE
03-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Hey Black Bears, good luck tomorrow against Minny-D. Although you probably are hoping for an Air Force upset of BC, a Maine-BC rematch would make for some interesting and entertaining hockey. Go Bears!

Air Force upset?!

No way!

Our boys would be itchin' at the chance for redemption!

GoMaine24
03-24-2012, 02:45 AM
It's "UMD"

Yes, Mr. Anal Pants. Unc was just typing lightheartedly.

and there is plenty of room on the bandwagon

As someone who joined the forum at the start of the season after they won their first national championship, I guess you would know, huh?! :D

TripleE
03-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Sounds like the boys did what they could to be mentally prepared for this weekend. Many of them were tweeting right around 9:00-10:00pm last night after *what sounds like* an effective, cohesive team meeting.

Here are some of the tweets that were all within a similar time frame:

Mangene: Best two hour meeting of the year. Can't wait to start the tourney with this team. #family #wereallbestfriends #MaineHockey

Shemansky: No denying how great of a family this team is. Can't wait to go into battle with them tomorrow #mainehockey

Abbott: What a bonding exercise that was #alotoflove

Klas: Great bro sesh

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!!!

walrus
03-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Still big ??? on Spence, Timmay says he hasn't been cleared yet, although he did take part in some drills. Guess we won't know until 35 minutes before game time and he comes out for warmups or not. Either way, play with what ya got, this team can do it, gonna take a great deal of will and effort.

Lots of upsets, Michigan, bye bye, Miami, bye bye. Love it

sterlippo1
03-24-2012, 06:34 AM
You can argue that's easier than taking the Green Line from BU or BC.

aint that the truth

Why? Shouldn't that mean they had more free time? Almost 2,400 of BC's undergrads are from Massachusetts. Another 1,100+ are from the other New England states. Maine students who attended traveled 8 hours roundtrip and had class on Monday.

And the students aren't the majority of the fans who show up. Isn't it likely that there are more BC alums in Massachusetts than UMaine alums?

BU was theoretically worse. Three times the student population and thus alumni base, and they were outnumbered 4:1 in their own city. If you think I'm exaggerating, check out that 360 degree photo they took of the arena that night.

we all know about and acknowledge Maine's great fans but for some reason, not that i agree, the HE Tourney just isn't that big any longer and you can just look at the sagging attendance figures recently. Is it because y'all and UNH arent here every year any more? A big part of it IMO. The demise of the big 4?? I know, you have been 2 of the last 3 years but for Maine's standards obviously the past 5 or so years arent what you guys expect. The Beanpot for BC and BU fans is way bigger, again, not that i agree, it just is. BC filled , and i mean FILLED 5 balcony sections at the Beanpot this year.....anyway, good luck to you guys and I hope Abbott is a go for you today

Maine Pudge
03-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Just out of curiosity, where can I find that 360 degree picture.

chripy
03-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Here are some of the tweets that were all within a similar time frame:

Klas: Great bro sesh

This made me laugh.

[QUOTE=walrus;5410052]Still big ??? on Spence, Timmay says he hasn't been cleared yet, although he did take part in some drills. Guess we won't know until 35 minutes before game time and he comes out for warmups or not. Either way, play with what ya got, this team can do it, gonna take a great deal of will and effort.
Wonder if this isn't some gamesmanship on Timmay's part since there has been no definitive answer to 'is he playing or not.'
Lots of upsets, Michigan, bye bye, Miami, bye bye. Love it

CCHA 1-3 yesterday. I never would have picked Ferris to be the team to win

UncleRay
03-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Saw a CHN tweet that said 1.5% of brackets entered in their contest got all four games today. Don't feel bad.Thanks for the great news MM!! I'm in the crappiest 1.5% of college hockey prognosticators!!!!! And I've got UMn-D tonight. Maine's a lock!!

Onion Man
03-24-2012, 08:06 AM

I bet most people from Maine (non-alums) root for Maine hockey because their alma maters either don't have hockey or play at a lower level. Also, the Bruins are hours away so the casual sports fan can gravitate to UMaine hockey and be passionate about it. In Boston, the average fans allegiances are split among a ton of teams and no one team dominates the casual fan's focus. BC maybe, but not really. The Blackbears are truly Maine's team

DropPass
03-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Yes, Mr. Anal Pants. Unc was just typing lightheartedly.

As someone who joined the forum at the start of the season after they won their first national championship, I guess you would know, huh?! :D

We didn't have electricity before that. :)

whatever
03-24-2012, 08:40 AM
I bet most people from Maine (non-alums) root for Maine hockey because their alma maters either don't have hockey or play at a lower level. Also, the Bruins are hours away so the casual sports fan can gravitate to UMaine hockey and be passionate about it. In Boston, the average fans allegiances are split among a ton of teams and no one team dominates the casual fan's focus. BC maybe, but not really. The Blackbears are truly Maine's team

That's about it... when I was in HS, there were no hockey teams in Maine, only pick-up games and burning rubber tires for heat. I got scarred for life by a puck in the forehead playing goalie, sans goalie equipment and know many others with similiar results :D I bet the fan base will expand further over the years now that hockey teams are in just about every major HS. Providing UMaine can keep their interest in the years to come.

Gano St, huh? I spent a year there while working for a corporation downtown. The Brown U campus area is pretty cool, a lot of good memories there.

Go Blue!

UncleRay
03-24-2012, 08:48 AM
We didn't have electricity before that. :)We still don't. Hasn't stopped us.

BoSox3066
03-24-2012, 09:34 AM
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/23/sports/ice-hockey-sports/umaines-spencer-abbott-skates-friday-but-not-cleared-to-play/

Great story on Maine's concussion policy. Its. 5-day recovery program, pretty standard from what I've seen in other reports about other schools.

Conjecture is he was on day 5 of 5 yesterday. Full practice, full exertion. Doesn't make a lot of sense, for Flynn and Diamond, to have them run thru an entire practice with Abbott if he can't go. Unless Timmy didn't want UMD to see his new lines??

I'm slightly surprised they let him speak. Has to be a pretty good sign??

At the very least Spence is not locked in a quiet room with the light off, which is awesome for him and his future.

gscott13
03-24-2012, 09:56 AM
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/23/sports/ice-hockey-sports/umaines-spencer-abbott-skates-friday-but-not-cleared-to-play/

Great story on Maine's concussion policy. Its. 5-day recovery program, pretty standard from what I've seen in other reports about other schools.

Conjecture is he was on day 5 of 5 yesterday. Full practice, full exertion. Doesn't make a lot of sense, for Flynn and Diamond, to have them run thru an entire practice with Abbott if he can't go. Unless Timmy didn't want UMD to see his new lines??

I'm slightly surprised they let him speak. Has to be a pretty good sign??

At the very least Spence is not locked in a quiet room with the light off, which is awesome for him and his future.

pretty standard... i coach high school hockey in maine and our return to play protocol is as follows:

24 hours after injury: player needs to pass their baseline concussion test (if failed, must wait a week before retaking)
48 hours after injury: light workout/practice off ice
72 hours after injury: on ice practice without contact
96 hours after injury: full practice on ice
120 hours after injury: return to game play

typically it is strung out longer in instances where the kid suffers the concussion on a friday or saturday evening... won't take the baseline until after school on monday, which could push things out to a seven day return

what was good to see was he wasn't wearing a non-contact jersey in laura reed's photos of their practice yesterday

UncleRay
03-24-2012, 10:54 AM
what was good to see was he wasn't wearing a non-contact jersey in laura reed's photos of their practice yesterdayDoes that have some kind of Star Trek force field around it?

Priceless
03-24-2012, 01:30 PM
If you have DirecTV and were planning to watch the game on FSN+ in HD, I have bad news. Channel 668 is blacked out this afternoon...I expect 657-1 will be blacked out tonight. The person I talked to at DirecTV was clueless. She didn't see any reason the game tonight would be blacked out, but also didn't see any reason 668 would be blacked out now. :mad::mad::mad:

rufus
03-24-2012, 01:39 PM
We have to go up against the defending champions... and then the number one team to go through. ..... what a mess. Jeesh why should we try??? Except that it doesn't matter. ***** please! Something easily proven wrong by hard work and spirit. Something inside says so... something inside says i didn't work this hard to lose now. Something inside says f no, something inside says i chose this sweater... and that sweater chose you. Your team. Take hold of it. It won't come easy. If you don't have the best of everything, make the most of what you have! Work hard and things will come to you! Joey! Take the team and drive like hell, you have the spirit of a Mainer, now drive...

Sheeesh buddy, put the bottle down. :D

VT_BlackBear
03-24-2012, 02:00 PM
If you have DirecTV and were planning to watch the game on FSN+ in HD, I have bad news. Channel 668 is blacked out this afternoon...I expect 657-1 will be blacked out tonight. The person I talked to at DirecTV was clueless. She didn't see any reason the game tonight would be blacked out, but also didn't see any reason 668 would be blacked out now. :mad::mad::mad:

I've been having some luck here watching from Europe: http://forum.wiziwig.eu/threads/60669-2011-12-NCAA-Ice-Hockey-Streaming/page9?

Priceless
03-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Response from FSN

@blackbear93 @DirecTVService The NCAA games are blacked out, per ESPN syndication, anywhere outside of the 5-state @fsnorth region.

So tonight's game will be on WABI and WPME only. And I'm guessing neither of them have an HD signal