Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    For years we've been worrying about what would happen after Walsh's passing and Grant's departure. Maine's success wasn't built on much more than success itself, and if you took that away, what would be left?

Sit down for a moment, if you aren't already. Because I have a secret to share. Those intangibles *did* go away. They're gone.

So, to answer your question: What I mean is that in the current landscape of D1 hockey, Maine is closer to being a nobody than to being a perennial power. A lot closer.

Tell me what Maine has?

Money? No. First class facilities? No. Winning track record (i.e., success breeds success)? No. Legendary coaching staff? No. Proximity to the BCHL? No. Proximity to the USHL? No. Proximity to OPJHL? No. Pipeline to the most elite Eastern prep schools? No. Pipeline to the national team development program? No. Proximity to major urban areas / media markets? No. Institutional prestige? No.

A 42-win season that's older than the kids that we're now recruiting? Yes. Dedicated fans? Yes.

Add it up, man. It ain't pretty.

edit:

So, while I've given Whitehead a hard time for not even meeting diminished expectations, I don't hold him to the same expectations as, say, Red Berenson at Michigan. And speaking of coaching - has anyone done less, with more, than ol' Red?

And Miami University? Seriously? That school has an endowment eight times the size of Maine's. They just put $36m into a new ice facility a few years ago, to go along with an aggressive, ambitious coaching staff. Blasi is a good coach, but Miami pays for it. Nearly half a million per year. If you're looking for comparisons for Maine . . . look lower. Western Mich is probably closer. UML is closer still.
    Wow.......that is quite a glass half empty rant.

Guess what???.....Maine still has a Top 10 (5?) fan base......even after the last 5 years of dung. Probably tops in the East....especially in rabid loyalty. Facility is fine.......not the best, but plastic seat volume and shiny restrooms aren't exactly what recruits are looking at. The BCS schools + North Dakota will always have the $$$ advantage........but Maine is in a better position than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
      Wow.......that is quite a glass half empty rant.

Guess what???.....Maine still has a Top 10 (5?) fan base......even after the last 5 years of dung. Probably tops in the East....especially in rabid loyalty. Facility is fine.......not the best, but plastic seat volume and shiny restrooms aren't exactly what recruits are looking at. The BCS schools + North Dakota will always have the $$$ advantage........but Maine is in a better position than you think.
      Hello...hello...please return the-sandie-who-beetched-continuosly-about-the-facility-known-as-Alfond-for-years-blackbear.
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by '93,'99,?? View Post
        The one thing I would say that if its anything like what they did with the Maine football playoff game, ESPN3 had a very watchable stream, especially with a descent computer on a large hdtv.
        Or an Xbox 360, which has ESPN3 on it. Quality is usually good.

Just FYI, all the ESPN3 games are being syndicated by ESPN to local markets. Can't imagine one of your local outlets won't pick it up, so I wouldn't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
          Hello...hello...please return the-sandie-who-beetched-continuosly-about-the-facility-known-as-Alfond-for-years-blackbear.
          Yeah, yeah.....I know.......

I think that Maine has an opportunity to build on recent success and a slight uptick in recruiting with Parker and York heading toward retirement and Umile mired in a Whitehead-like slump. As attendance has started to drop off everywhere in the East.......Maine's still strong fan base will be an even bigger recruiting advantage. Will help if Bishop, Howard, etc. keep having NHL success as well.

Comment

Just got home from Boston and watched the Maine/BU game....was interested to hear Josh Ciacco state that he ran into Kieran Millan's AGENT....now, I would normally shrug it off to an analyst's general lack of knowledge in differentiating between an agent and a family advisor, but this is a recent Division 1 hockey player who should know the difference. I hope the Hockey East office was tuning in and has the nads to look into it....now THAT would make for an interesting week going into the Regionals!

Comment

Ask any player and no one will call their family advisor a family advisor. They will call it an agent. It's all ticky tack.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                Ask any player and no one will call their family advisor a family advisor. They will call it an agent. It's all ticky tack.
                exactly. brian dumoulin's "family advisor" is an nhlpa certified agent... dumoulin was actively negotiating this off-season and turned down very good money to return to BC this year. the source of that info? the family advisor himself when he was on a local sports radio show...

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                  Agreed. Representative, agent, family advisor. All the same thing. I highly doubt anyone even thought anything of it.
                  Originally posted by reBlur
                  the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Well I was way off on where I thought this team would be at the end of this season. Now I only hope Abbott is a go next weekend so we all can see two of the probable Hobby Hattrick nominees square-off. If Maine beats UMD, I'm leaving the facebook group.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                      Are you going to Worchestah?

Comment

For years we've been worrying about what would happen after Walsh's passing and Grant's departure. Maine's success wasn't built on much more than success itself, and if you took that away, what would be left?

Sit down for a moment, if you aren't already. Because I have a secret to share. Those intangibles *did* go away. They're gone.

So, to answer your question: What I mean is that in the current landscape of D1 hockey, Maine is closer to being a nobody than to being a perennial power. A lot closer.

Tell me what Maine has?

Money? No. First class facilities? No. Winning track record (i.e., success breeds success)? No. Legendary coaching staff? No. Proximity to the BCHL? No. Proximity to the USHL? No. Proximity to OPJHL? No. Pipeline to the most elite Eastern prep schools? No. Pipeline to the national team development program? No. Proximity to major urban areas / media markets? No. Institutional prestige? No.

A 42-win season that's older than the kids that we're now recruiting? Yes. Dedicated fans? Yes.

edit:

So, while I've given Whitehead a hard time for not even meeting diminished expectations, I don't hold him to the same expectations as, say, Red Berenson at Michigan. And speaking of coaching - has anyone done less, with more, than ol' Red?

And Miami University? Seriously? That school has an endowment eight times the size of Maine's. They just put $36m into a new ice facility a few years ago, to go along with an aggressive, ambitious coaching staff. Blasi is a good coach, but Miami pays for it. Nearly half a million per year. If you're looking for comparisons for Maine . . . look lower. Western Mich is probably closer. UML is closer still.
                        I tend to agree w/you ABB. When Shawn passed I was out and out scared for the program. I cried that day, now looking back on it, not so much for him passing but more for fear of what would become of Maine Hockey. It's been a lean few years. But the entire lanscape of college hockey has changed a lot in the last 5-7 years. Many programs have gone from being powerhouses year to year to being mid pack eh. A select few ie: the BC's BU's Mich, ND of the world have continued to maintain. But they've done so because of the coach. Continuity at head coach with a track record of success breeds more success. Recruiting is EVERYTHING in todays landscape. Yorke, Jackie et al can land anyone they want. Success breeds success. Maine still has a proud tradition but like you said the 42 win season was a lifetime ago. Just like yesterday to you and me but not to the kids who wern't ever born yet. Maine has the best fan base of ANY team in college hockey. Proud, loyal and knowledgable. But it is what it is now. It's not 1992 anymore. it neveer will be. Some have come to grips with that, some haven't. It took me a long while to accept that fact. But now that I have I find myself enjoying the success(when we have it) as much as I did when we were "it". I can still be critical, have my gripes an piz and moan like everyone else. But I am also a realist now and can enjoy the past instead of living in it.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                          Not to belittle the Maine fans that DO come "way down" to Boston to see Maine play........does anyone outside of Maine realize how many Maine fans and alums live within 2 hours of Boston??? That encompasses everything South of Portland. I think that it is funny how everyone in Beantown thinks that every Maine fan travels 4 or 5 hours to see them play.

I'm not seeing it the way you are,there seems to be tons of them coming down from the state of Maine,I'm sure there's some in Boston too and rightly so,the one's I've seen and met haven't been from Boston,Their fan base seems to be the most loyal of any I've seen in Hockey East and seems to be willing to travel and many more are wearing their team's jerseys which is cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky View Post
                            I'm not seeing it the way you are,there seems to be tons of them coming down from the state of Maine,I'm sure there's some in Boston too and rightly so,the one's I've seen and met haven't been from Boston,Their fan base seems to be the most loyal of any I've seen in Hockey East and seems to be willing to travel and many more are wearing their team's jerseys which is cool too.
                            Jeezus.........

Let me spell this one out.......if there were 5K Maine fans in Boston.......I'm betting 3K were from Portland/South and 2K were from North of Portland. A great turnout of MAINE fans any way that you slice it.

But since some of you WANT to make this into something it's not.........here ya go: 5K Maine fans were from the Greater Bangor area and drove 5 hours to get there. Happy, Happy???

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                              I can still be critical, have my gripes an piz and moan like everyone else. But I am also a realist now and can enjoy the past instead of living in it.
                              Yeah, it took me until . . .this season, really.

It occurred to me that the last couple years really have been a modest success. The hockey has been fun to watch. They missed the NCAAa last year, but they got in this year, and made a run in the conference tournament. Both years, we've been fortunate enough to watch Hobey finalists. This is actually a really good result for a program like Maine's.

Look at some of the coaches/programs that didn't get in this year: Wisconsin, Colorado College (talk about history), Nebraska-Omaha (Blais + heart of USHL), Notre Dame (Jackson), Ohio State, Harvard . . . all of these are programs that have real advantages over Maine. High-profile coaching staffs, rich athletic departments, location, recruiting base, prestige (in Harvard's case).

I would never say this as a coach, but I'm not a coach. I'm random internet guy - so I have the luxury of being honest. Maine already did good. No reason to settle for anything less than an A+ effort in Worcester, but the success of this season isn't riding on an upset of the defending champs.
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Tell me what Maine has?

edit:

Sure all that... or it could be tradition. It could be the best fans in college hockey hockey. It could be the pride behind the two tone blue. It could be the access to a former NHLer behind the bench. It could be a lot of things. Not everything in life is as simple as money.

"Work hard and things come to you." and "If you don't have the best of everything, make the most of what you have." -God... or the anti-christ depending on your college hockey religion.

Comment

Working...
                                X