Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Originally posted by Happy Husky View Post
    Sad to see Maine lose the game,I am a Huskies fan and seeing them at Matthews gained tremendous respect for the quality of people their fans are,good folks and knowledgeable,and they came all the way down from way up in Maine to support their team and many of them had some great jerseys on to support their team,very impressive!
    Not to belittle the Maine fans that DO come "way down" to Boston to see Maine play........does anyone outside of Maine realize how many Maine fans and alums live within 2 hours of Boston??? That encompasses everything South of Portland. I think that it is funny how everyone in Beantown thinks that every Maine fan travels 4 or 5 hours to see them play.

Comment

BC was the better team last night,after the first 5 minutes they took over,Maine was not sharp...even with Abbott,Milner was hot and he had a game of his life(imo)....BC is good but very beatable...I would look for a few UPSETS in the upcoming NCAA Toruney...as it always does who has the hot netminder will be riding into Tampa after play is done on Sunday.

Comment

I guess I should be happy,Maine finally plays in the NCAAs, its what you play for every year but last night was very disappointing. Not that they lost , BC was a far better team. You can play the what if game, what if Prior this or Milner that but if your eyes couldn't see what mine did you must have smoked your breakfast. BC is by far the better team. Would Spence make a difference, probably, not that big a difference. So seeing that Maine is still far off from being as good as the best teams in the country brings me back to reality, just not deep enough.
        Oh well, off to the NCAAs, to play a team we haven't played this year, looks like UMD, Wow, that ain't going to be a cakewalk. Hope Spence is back. Was really hoping to get into Unions Bracket, easiest road to Tampa is always thru the EZAC

On huge bright spot last night, Sully, BC would have scored 20 goals on him last year with the pressure they generated in the first. Maine looked like crap after BC got one and Sully got them out of the 1st with a chance and then kept them in it until late in the 2nd when it was game over. Finally Maine has a goalie again, Congats to Sully for working hard and looking like another good goalie in a string of many at UMaine, been awhile since we had one.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Anyone out there know where one could obtain or have a ORIGINAL Maine Hockey Sweater(Jersey to most)made up or bought from...the type when they started up the program...? I saw a Father & Son several years ago at a Frozen 4 with each one on...didn't have a chance to speak to them...but any info would be great. I like that Old Time look....nothing beats the Away Maine,but I guess I'm a Old Timer and like the look.....ok Thanks and lets get ready for next week...!

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
            Not to belittle the Maine fans that DO come "way down" to Boston to see Maine play........does anyone outside of Maine realize how many Maine fans and alums live within 2 hours of Boston??? That encompasses everything South of Portland. I think that it is funny how everyone in Beantown thinks that every Maine fan travels 4 or 5 hours to see them play.
            Fine. And how many BU and BC fans live within 2 hours of Boston? The Maine fans outnumber the BU and BC fans every year, and I'm a BU fan (and disgusted). So why ARE you belittling the Maine fans? At least they show up...

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              BC is good but very beatable...
              Are you on drugs? "VERY beatable?" Jeez, anyone can pull an upset but c'mon...

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                I'll play.

1s: BC, Mich, Union, ND
                2s: Miami, Ferris, Duluth, MN
                3s: BU, ME, DU, UML
                4s: Cornell, WMich, MSU, AFA

Minnesota is the only host to worry about. They should be in BC's regional for bracket integrity, but that won't happen. I'll put them in Michigan's bracket. So . . .

St. Paul: (2) Michigan and (8) MN
                Green Bay: (4) North Dakota and (5) Miami
                Worcester: (1) BC and (7) Duluth
                Bridgeport: (3) Union and (6) Ferris

(9) & (16) should be the top regional. (10) & (15) in the 2nd, (11) & (14) in the 3rd and (12) & (13) in the 4th. That gives us:

St. Paul: (2) Michigan v (15) Michigan State and (8) MN v (10) ME
                Green Bay: (4) ND v (13) Cornell and (5) Miami v (12) UML
                Worcester: (1) BC v (16) AFA and (7) Duluth v (9) BU
                Bridgeport: (3) Union v (14) WMich and (6) Ferris v (11) DU

Problems: first round CCHA matchup in StPaul and a brutal Bridgport regional.

You can't swap 15 and 14, because they're both CCHA. So I'll swap 15 and 13.

St. Paul: (2) Mich v (13) Cornell and (8) MN v (10) ME
                GB: (4) ND v (15) MSU and (5) Miami v (12) UML
                Bridgeport: (3) Union v (14) WMich and (6) Ferris v (11) DU

I can't swap Maine and DU because of Minnesota, so I'll swap UML and DU and hope that UML travels.

St. Paul: (2) Mich v (13) Cornell and (8) MN v (10) ME
                GB: (4) ND v (15) MSU and (5) Miami v (11) DU
                Bridgeport: (3) Union v (14) WMich and (6) Ferris v (12) UML

Maine returns to the scene of the crime. No guts, no glory.
                Don't think I agree with this. I say BU goes West. First of all, who wants to lose 5000 fans. Maine travels well, but MANY more will go to Worcester as opposed to St. Paul. BU doesn't draw well anyway so who cares where they go? Besides, in "tiebreaker" situations, I thought they always gave more weight to how a team was playing at the end of the year. BU doesn't deserve to stay in the East. They are 8-8 since January 27 and can't win the "big" games. All the bracketology blogs are saying Maine in Worcester and BU in St. Paul. We'll find out at noon...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  Don't think I agree with this. I say BU goes West. First of all, who wants to lose 5000 fans. Maine travels well, but MANY more will go to Worcester as opposed to St. Paul. BU doesn't draw well anyway so who cares where they go? Besides, in "tiebreaker" situations, I thought they always gave more weight to how a team was playing at the end of the year. BU doesn't deserve to stay in the East. They are 8-8 since January 27 and can't win the "big" games. All the bracketology blogs are saying Maine in Worcester and BU in St. Paul. We'll find out at noon...
                  I'm a bracket integrity purist. If it were up to me, I'd do away with the no intra-conference matchups rule. I felt dirty just putting BC and Minnesota in separate regionals (not a fan of current hosting practices, either).

Those brackets were the best I could do under a contemptibly stupid set of rules.
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I just want to say that as an outsider, I really enjoy watching Maine's style of play now. I remember back in 2004, etc, Maine was a grinding, trapping, boring team to watch and watching them go up and down the ice last night was refreshing. Nice effort last night and I think Maine hockey is back.
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Well a few observations from the Garden last night. 1st congrats to BC. After seeing them live in person it's easy to see why they are the #1 team in the country. Very talented and very deep. I guess that's why I'm not all up in arms about losing last night. dissapointed yes, surprised....not at all.
                      2nd, huge props to Sully. That kid kept that game from being 15-1. He's has come so far this year and he got hung out to dry so many times last night and came up huge. The D played scared last night and it showed. Sully wasn't scared and played like it. Great job.
                      3rd, I'm not a player basher but I have to say Heggarty is brutal. Both nights I thought he was awful. I think it was in the 1st period last night he got deeked so bad I thought his skates were going to come off. All I'm gonna say about that.
                      Next, no Abbott. You could really see how out of sync the team was last night. Say what you will, not having him out there really affected the team in alot of ways. There was no rhythm, no confidence, no flow and little energy. BC was able to focus on Diamond and Flynn so it didn't matter how beautifully Mangene skated, when he got the puck into the zone it was all Maroon & Gold. BC was never out of position, never left an open lane and was masterful on the PK.

Anyway, just my thoughts. It was a fun weekend. Nice to be back in the Garden and sharing more memories with my son. Although it was deja vue all over again from 2 years ago. Now on to the most brutal draw in the NCAA's I think they've ever had. I sure hope Spence is better!!

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                        I just want to say that as an outsider, I really enjoy watching Maine's style of play now. I remember back in 2004, etc, Maine was a grinding, trapping, boring team to watch and watching them go up and down the ice last night was refreshing. Nice effort last night and I think Maine hockey is back.
                        The Maine hockey that I used to love seems to be back. Maybe not the results, but the style. Fluid, uptempo hockey, showcasing skating and offensive skill . . .

Absent another once in a lifetime leader like Walsh, Maine isn't going to see those old results, anyway. This season has pretty much turned into everything I can realistically hope for. Maine doesn't have the money to run with BC, BU, Michigan, Minnesota, and North Dakota year after year. But to finish 10th in the country (PWR), make the conference semis and NCAA tournament - that's what it's all about for me these days. I don't expect Maine to amass the talent needed for regular season championships or NCAA #1s. Just compete well enough to get through the door, into a one-and-done situation, and let the chips fall where they may.
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          Milner was hot and he had a game of his life(imo)
                          Milner might be a cat with 9 lives if you think he played the game of his life. He's been phenomenal starting with the Beanpot vs. BU. He singlehandedly won the Umass series along with Gaudreau. The two goals vs. PC were pretty shocking after what he had been doing.

I do agree that BC is beatable (don't look as good as last year to me but everyone is down this year) but it's also one of the dumbest things anyone can say because by definition they've been beaten (along with everyone else in the country) and thus they are beatable. The undefeated Cornell team in the 70s is the only team that could claim to be unbeatable right?
                          Originally posted by reBlur
                          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I love playing this team (even if Diamond is a little $#!+). Such incredible hockey. Hope to see you guys with a trip to Tampa on the line.
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                              Maine doesn't have the money to run with BC, BU, Michigan, Minnesota, and North Dakota year after year
                              Huh? The Toronto Blue Jays called; they want their excuses back.

They don't have the money? What does that even mean?
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

interrupting HECG lamenting and tournament prognosticating to let maine fans know that nyquist set the griffins rookie scoring record last night.... http://griffinshockey.com/news/relea...rticle_id=2131

56 games: 22-36-58

Comment

Working...
                                X