Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Congrats to Maine. They have played better and better as the year has gone along. The fan suppport was incredible - like a home game (only with many more people). The difference, as I see it, is that at BU we have a LOT of talented players, but not enough scorers (having lost two of our best didn't help - not justifying why they are gone, just speaking in hockey terms here). Maine has a bunch of snipers who know how to score. Millan had no chance of most of those goals last night. This team can go a long way if they get good goaltending. The power play (another reason why we lost - we're the most penalized team in the country and most of the penalties are DUMB retaliatory or needless hits) is absolutely lethal. Good luck. I hope you guys go all the way...
    Spot on analysis. BU has a bunch of NHL players......doesn't translate well in college play.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
      disgusting. Hockey east player of the year, and a top candidate for the hobey baker award takes an elbow to the head and bunyon just looks on without blowing the whistle. Accidental or not, it was still contact to the head, which was something that joe bertagna and hockey east were cracking down on over the course of the year.

In the portland press herald article about the game, it was reported that whitehead singled out joe bertagna- who was a bystander in the back of the room- while answering questions at a press conference and said,"yes joe, it was an elbow to the head."

after last weeks pathetically officiated monstrosity of a game, with the absurd call on abbott during a face-off and the waved off goal, and now last nights elbow to the head on abbott as he lays down one end of ice while bu proceeds to score at the other end, hockey east is showing its true colors-in front of a national television audience nonetheless,that despite it's claims of being the premier college hockey conference- that its officiating is not just subpar, but negligent and incompetent. The escalation in frustrations on the ice last weekend can be attributed to the officiating, and last night could have been equally as bad, but luckily the players kept their cool after the abbott fiasco and were able to rise above and find a way to put the puck in the net for the win.

I hope abbott is ok, but the sting of his injury feels even worse since bu scored on the play and no one was penalized for a hit that - accidental or not- was still an elbow to the head and deserved a penalty if the rules of the game are being followed the way joe bertagna had said they would be at the beginning of the season.
      amen +10.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Haven't won anything yet but thats a heck of a performance by the team. Carried the play for a majority of the game. Sully was awesome, ONeill finally breaks out, Mangene killed BU with his speed. Thinking back to last fall I can't believe this is the same team, congrats to them for the turnaround. Hope Spence is OK , that was one great pass back to ONeill
        Yep, this team is not playing like the TIMMAY-coached teams of the past few seasons, except perhaps for that last ten minutes of the third, where they went into TIMMAY's patented"hold on and protect the lead at all costs" mode. But something's different from the way they were playing earlier.. The defense is no longer retreat retreat retreat while hacking away at the puck with their stick. Even Janney mentioned how in the third there were five men lined up at the blue line to stymie the BU attack.

It's hard to say what the change has been, without being on the inside, and knowing what's going on day to day. Of course, I have my theories, which is that Corkum is playing a much greater role in the coaching and game preparedness than he has in the past, but who knows. Mayybe TIMMAY has finally wised up and learned a little something. Maybe he finally realized if he wanted to keep his job, he needed to change.

Suillivan has been much better once they finally(and I don't know how, whether it was the Skype goalie coach or what) got him to stop playing goal with his back to the defensive zone. How it irritated me to see him moving about in the goal completely turned around to the play in front of the net, and yet, no one could seem to cure him of this habit. Looks like someone finally has.

That said, Hegarty was brutal last night. And what's with the ref not stopping play with Abbott down on the ice injured? Still in Jackie's pocket, eh?
        Last edited by rufus; 03-17-2012, 04:32 PM.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

So, my final predictions are:

Worcester:

1. BC
          2. Denver
          3. Lowell
          4. Air Force

Bridgeport:

1. Union
          2. Ferris State
          3. Maine
          4. Western Michigan

Green Bay:

1. Michigan
          2. UMD
          3. BU
          4. Cornell

St. Paul:

1. North Dakota
          2. Miami
          3. Minnesota
          4. Michigan State

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            Yep, t

That said, Hegarty was brutal last night. And what's with the ref not stopping play with Abbott down on the ice injured? Still in Jackie's pocket, eh?
            first off, I wish spencer the best, and Hope that his injury is nothing serious. that said, if His team does not have the puck, and the refs do not think that he is likely to be further injured by allowing play to continue, and he is not bleeding on the ice, they are to blow the whistle only when his team gains possession. (otherwise BU would lie on the ice all game)....

that said... do any of you remember when Solomon went down at UML? he was flopping like an epileptic fish and play was right on top of him for about 10-15 seconds with no whistle.... he too took not much of an elbow to the head, one time too many.

I hope ONLY Kyle's career was cut short by the elbow, Abbott has a fine career ahead of him.... (enough picking on sweeper!... I know he can pass and has probably the best shot ever at Maine... not has hard as preston, Rodrique or Shields, btu much more accurate than all three... very good vision and great moves)....
            go maine.
            and I said that if timmy could win one more this season after the UNH win, I would stop calling for his firing.... not promising to rejoin friends of maine hockey, but I will no longer post about how horrible he is.

rufus and walrus are right... Tim finally got the memo that things had to change, and he is clearly calling on others whose strengths augment and add to his strengths.

for those of you who have read this far... thanks, and what? are you kidding... KIA posted this!!!
            Last edited by KnowItAll; 03-17-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I'll play.

1s: BC, Mich, Union, ND
              2s: Miami, Ferris, Duluth, MN
              3s: BU, ME, DU, UML
              4s: Cornell, WMich, MSU, AFA

Minnesota is the only host to worry about. They should be in BC's regional for bracket integrity, but that won't happen. I'll put them in Michigan's bracket. So . . .

St. Paul: (2) Michigan and (8) MN
              Green Bay: (4) North Dakota and (5) Miami
              Worcester: (1) BC and (7) Duluth
              Bridgeport: (3) Union and (6) Ferris

(9) & (16) should be the top regional. (10) & (15) in the 2nd, (11) & (14) in the 3rd and (12) & (13) in the 4th. That gives us:

St. Paul: (2) Michigan v (15) Michigan State and (8) MN v (10) ME
              Green Bay: (4) ND v (13) Cornell and (5) Miami v (12) UML
              Worcester: (1) BC v (16) AFA and (7) Duluth v (9) BU
              Bridgeport: (3) Union v (14) WMich and (6) Ferris v (11) DU

Problems: first round CCHA matchup in StPaul and a brutal Bridgport regional.

You can't swap 15 and 14, because they're both CCHA. So I'll swap 15 and 13.

St. Paul: (2) Mich v (13) Cornell and (8) MN v (10) ME
              GB: (4) ND v (15) MSU and (5) Miami v (12) UML
              Bridgeport: (3) Union v (14) WMich and (6) Ferris v (11) DU

I can't swap Maine and DU because of Minnesota, so I'll swap UML and DU and hope that UML travels.

St. Paul: (2) Mich v (13) Cornell and (8) MN v (10) ME
              GB: (4) ND v (15) MSU and (5) Miami v (11) DU
              Bridgeport: (3) Union v (14) WMich and (6) Ferris v (12) UML

Maine returns to the scene of the crime. No guts, no glory.
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Announcer doing the Denver vs. No. Dakota game just said Maine will probably play Duluth in the first round.

Comment

When do they officially announce the brackets?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    Noon tomorrow.
                    Originally posted by reBlur
                    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob View Post
                      tomorrow at noon

BU Alum '07

Comment

Maine basically had a line and a half that could play tonight against 3 for BC. York decided to roll Goudreau's line 3rd and that combination against Maine's 3 was murder all night. There's 2 goals right there, one was a PP.....that's the game.

You figure if Abbott plays he's worth at least one PPG and that 3rd line match-up isn't as bad. Maybe its a 2-2 game.

They're not good enough to beat a team that deep without Abbott. Maybe they could beat a Union or a Ferris or something but I feel like they have zero shot against a BC, Duluth, etc without him.

Everybody drop an extra quarter in the collection box at church tomorrow and pray Abbott can go.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          Maine basically had a line and a half that could play tonight against 3 for BC. York decided to roll Goudreau's line 3rd and that combination against Maine's 3 was murder all night. There's 2 goals right there, one was a PP.....that's the game.

You figure if Abbott plays he's worth at least one PPG and that 3rd line match-up isn't as bad. Maybe its a 2-2 game.

They're not good enough to beat a team that deep without Abbott. Maybe they could beat a Union or a Ferris or something but I feel like they have zero shot against a BC, Duluth, etc without him.

Everybody drop an extra quarter in the collection box at church tomorrow and pray Abbott can go.
                          bc was the better team, but a lot of what ifs... if pryor just lets the puck go through to the boards, bc's doesn't get their first... knocks it down and gaudreau pounces...

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                            bc was the better team, but a lot of what ifs... if pryor just lets the puck go through to the boards, bc's doesn't get their first... knocks it down and gaudreau pounces...
                            to me, if Milner doesn't make 3 huge stops in the first 2 minutes, the complexion of the game would have totally changed, just my 2 cents

Comment

Sad to see Maine lose the game,I am a Huskies fan and seeing them at Matthews gained tremendous respect for the quality of people their fans are,good folks and knowledgeable,and they came all the way down from way up in Maine to support their team and many of them had some great jerseys on to support their team,very impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky View Post
                                Sad to see Maine lose the game,I am a Huskies fan and seeing them at Matthews gained tremendous respect for the quality of people their fans are,good folks and knowledgeable,and they came all the way down from way up in Maine to support their team and many of them had some great jerseys on to support their team,very impressive!
                                Best hockey fans in HE! Nothing keeps us away; snow, sleet or rain.
                                Happy or disgruntal, we'll be there.
                                From young to old...we love our bears!

Comment

Working...
                                X