Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Originally posted by Hockeyman99 View Post
    It is a judgement call on the officials part depending on the severity of the injury, which team has possession of the puck and if a likely scoring opportunity is imminent. For example, the officials don't want to stop play and take away a breakaway only to have the "injured" player get up unhurt. In this example, given the severity of the injury and the puck in BU's defensive zone with no imminent scoring opportunity I thought that play should have been stopped to attend to the injured player. It was well after the hit and Spencer was on the ice for several seconds that an offensive opportunity materialized aided by the fact that BU was playing 5 on 4.
    Pretty awful judgment to say the least. I don't think Abbott has a rep for milking injuries or anything like that either. We must be due for some luck from the officials.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Pretty awful judgment to say the least. I don't think Abbott has a rep for milking injuries or anything like that either. We must be due for some luck from the officials.
      Yes it was. To watch as BU Bunyon kept looking back at Abbott as BU was skating down the ice was sickening. He clearly wasn't getting up and Bunyon knew it. And to have a no call on the contact to the head was like getting cut off in traffic then flipped off. I hope Spence is going to be OK and we'll see him next week.

Comment

Congrats to Maine. They have played better and better as the year has gone along. The fan suppport was incredible - like a home game (only with many more people). The difference, as I see it, is that at BU we have a LOT of talented players, but not enough scorers (having lost two of our best didn't help - not justifying why they are gone, just speaking in hockey terms here). Maine has a bunch of snipers who know how to score. Millan had no chance of most of those goals last night. This team can go a long way if they get good goaltending. The power play (another reason why we lost - we're the most penalized team in the country and most of the penalties are DUMB retaliatory or needless hits) is absolutely lethal. Good luck. I hope you guys go all the way...

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearsfan45 View Post
          Bunyon turned and looked at him from over by the BU bench, and let play continue.
          Disgusting. Hockey East Player of the Year, and a top candidate for the Hobey Baker Award takes an elbow to the head and Bunyon just looks on without blowing the whistle. Accidental or not, it was still contact to the head, which was something that Joe Bertagna and Hockey East were cracking down on over the course of the year.

In the Portland Press Herald article about the game, it was reported that Whitehead singled out Joe Bertagna- who was a bystander in the back of the room- while answering questions at a press conference and said,"yes Joe, it was an elbow to the head."

After last weeks pathetically officiated monstrosity of a game, with the absurd call on Abbott during a face-off and the waved off goal, and now last nights elbow to the head on Abbott as he lays down one end of ice while BU proceeds to score at the other end, Hockey East is showing its true colors-in front of a national television audience nonetheless,that despite it's claims of being the premier college hockey conference- that its officiating is not just subpar, but negligent and incompetent. The escalation in frustrations on the ice last weekend can be attributed to the officiating, and last night could have been equally as bad, but luckily the players kept their cool after the Abbott fiasco and were able to rise above and find a way to put the puck in the net for the win.

I hope Abbott is ok, but the sting of his injury feels even worse since BU scored on the play and no one was penalized for a hit that - accidental or not- was still an elbow to the head and deserved a penalty if the rules of the game are being followed the way Joe Bertagna had said they would be at the beginning of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
            I disagree. The replay on NESN clearly shows Abbott's head jerking back several inches after No. 21 for BU swung his left arm and hit Abbott's jaw with his elbow. Moreover, the replay doesn't show violent contact between Abbott's head and either the ice or the boards.
            Yea just watched it a bunch more times. Elbow/arm to the lower rear of head almost down to the neck. Easy for me to say but it still didn't look that bad. More of a twisting/wrenching blow rather than the jarring blunt force which you usually associate with concussion.

Comment

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/an...012-03-17.html

Tim makes his point to Joe about the hit to Spence

Whitehead was not pleased about the play. As he entertained another question, he spotted Hockey East Commissioner Joe Bertagna in the back of the interview room.

"Yes Joe," Whitehead said, "it was an elbow to the head."
              Nice, good job by Tim there
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Kuddos to whoever put the miracle grow on Timmay's balls as well!!!
                Last edited by DownEastblkbearfan; 03-17-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by '93,'99,?? View Post
                  Yea just watched it a bunch more times. Elbow/arm to the lower rear of head almost down to the neck. Easy for me to say but it still didn't look that bad. More of a twisting/wrenching blow rather than the jarring blunt force which you usually associate with concussion.
                  But Abbott's head/neck didn't twist; it jolted back two or three inches as a result of the impact, which is exactly they type of blow that is associated with concussion.

Comment

No sarcasm here.

After the debacle in the quarters, I actually thought yesterday was pretty well officiated. BU took a few shots at Maine, but they didn't get away with all that much. And if Maine's power play is clicking, you can't be too upset when your opponent invites you to use it. From Maine's perspective, there were just a couple moments that jump out at you. Unfortunately, one of them was really big.

Any news about Abbott is doing today? I don't expect him to go tonight - heck, I don't want him to go tonight. But if he did suffer a concussion, then it's important to know how whether there are lingering issues...
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                      Definitely look like a concussion-type injury to me. Do Hockey East refs usually let they play continue with a guy down? that was ridiculous.
                      Yes, it is ridiculous. This from a league that witnessed the Travis Roy incident.......seriously??? The league needs to revamp this "embellishment" B.S. and send it's refs back to school.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        BDN reporting head injury and finished the game in Street clothes. Nah no contact to the head there
                        http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/1...t-final-vs-bc/
                        Anyone who watched this on replay knows what really happened here. Satan put a goon on Abbott plain and simple. Hopefully Parker gets drunk tonight, trips in a Boston pothole, and hits his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          Tremendous number of Maine fans in attendance last night at the TD Garden. Even more than two years a go. Incredible how this team believes in one another and has developed over the season. Maine has an additional incentive tonight as they were defeated two years a go by BC. Can't wait to be at the Garden and for the game to start. It's going to be a great one! Go Black Bears!
                          Wouldn't be surprised to see 5K Maine fans in the building tonight......pent up frustration/demand.

Comment

Originally posted by '93,'99,?? View Post
                            If you look at the replay, the Abbott injury certainly does not appear to be due to serious blow to the head. Looks more like knees buckling/ankles?
                            That causes a head injury???

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyman99 View Post
                              It is a judgement call on the officials part depending on the severity of the injury, which team has possession of the puck and if a likely scoring opportunity is imminent. For example, the officials don't want to stop play and take away a breakaway only to have the "injured" player get up unhurt. In this example, given the severity of the injury and the puck in BU's defensive zone with no imminent scoring opportunity I thought that play should have been stopped to attend to the injured player. It was well after the hit and Spencer was on the ice for several seconds that an offensive opportunity materialized aided by the fact that BU was playing 5 on 4.
                              Stoppage of play........yeah, right. Not in Satan's House!

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
                                I disagree. The replay on NESN clearly shows Abbott's head jerking back several inches after No. 21 for BU swung his left arm and hit Abbott's jaw with his elbow. Moreover, the replay doesn't show violent contact between Abbott's head and either the ice or the boards.
                                Bingo. Anyone with a DVR knows this.

Comment

Working...
                                X