Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Great win for the BB's tonight. BC has won 14 straight and are keeping teams to two or less goals. Their PP is insane. They are the team to beat. Good luck maybe we can have a rematch at the beach! I grew up with Timmy Whitehead so I always keep an eye on you guys.
    Go Pioneers!

Comment

Looked to me that Abbott got his neck wrenched while being wrestled to the ice. Didn't see anything that looked like a concussion-type injury. (Hope I'm right about that... Even though he can't pass the puck for the life of him, he's not so bad. )

Heggs was brutal again. He never seems to calm down and make the safe pass.

The effort was great tonight, overall, until Timmy went into a shell with about 7 left to play. Danny saved Maine's bacon several times down the stretch. I'd prefer that Maine be allowed to keep playing for the whole 60 minutes, right? They are clearly better than BU this year, and it's been a long while since I could say that with a straight face.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Looked to me that Abbott got his neck wrenched while being wrestled to the ice. Didn't see anything that looked like a concussion-type injury..
        He got an elbow right smack in the head, it should have been called as should several other contact to the head penalties on BU.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Definitely look like a concussion-type injury to me. Do Hockey East refs usually let they play continue with a guy down? that was ridiculous. Anyways, Maine is insane if they play Abbott in tonight's game. With their bid next weekend assured, why bother? A conference title is all well and good, but any chance of Maine making it to Tampa obviously depends on the health of their best player.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

BDN reporting head injury and finished the game in Street clothes. Nah no contact to the head there
            http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/1...t-final-vs-bc/
            Last edited by walrus; 03-17-2012, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Tremendous number of Maine fans in attendance last night at the TD Garden. Even more than two years a go. Incredible how this team believes in one another and has developed over the season. Maine has an additional incentive tonight as they were defeated two years a go by BC. Can't wait to be at the Garden and for the game to start. It's going to be a great one! Go Black Bears!

Comment

This is what Maine hockey is supposed to be; playing in the Hockey East final and looking forward to the NCAA tournament with a chance at competing for the national championship! Let's keep it going boys.

Comment

• Was at the game. Atmosphere and Maine's play was electric with all the Maine fans it seemed like an Alfond game. I thought BU had a size advantage and perhaps more overall depth, but Maine had the individual stars who really stepped up and along with Sully's play in the 3rd, that was the difference. We can beat BC even without Abbott. He's a fabulous player as we all know but in any one game, one player, is not always the difference in one game. A win isn't critical anyway. We are playing with house money.

Comment

If you look at the replay, the Abbott injury certainly does not appear to be due to serious blow to the head. Looks more like knees buckling/ankles?

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                      Definitely look like a concussion-type injury to me. Do Hockey East refs usually let they play continue with a guy down? that was ridiculous. Anyways, Maine is insane if they play Abbott in tonight's game. With their bid next weekend assured, why bother? A conference title is all well and good, but any chance of Maine making it to Tampa obviously depends on the health of their best player.
                      I wondered about that too - Bunyon turned right around and looked at Abbott down and let play continue. I'm not sure what the rules say there - anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by '93,'99,?? View Post
                        If you look at the replay, the Abbott injury certainly does not appear to be due to serious blow to the head. Looks more like knees buckling/ankles?
                        Read the link I posted

Whitehead said it was doubtful Abbott will play against Boston College. Whitehead said the injury was sustained courtesy of BU elbow to Abbott’s head.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearsfan45 View Post
                          I wondered about that too - Bunyon turned right around and looked at Abbott down and let play continue. I'm not sure what the rules say there - anybody?
                          It is a judgement call on the officials part depending on the severity of the injury, which team has possession of the puck and if a likely scoring opportunity is imminent. For example, the officials don't want to stop play and take away a breakaway only to have the "injured" player get up unhurt. In this example, given the severity of the injury and the puck in BU's defensive zone with no imminent scoring opportunity I thought that play should have been stopped to attend to the injured player. It was well after the hit and Spencer was on the ice for several seconds that an offensive opportunity materialized aided by the fact that BU was playing 5 on 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by '93,'99,?? View Post
                            Was at the game. Atmosphere and Maine's play was electric with all the Maine fans it seemed like an Alfond game. I thought BU had a size advantage and perhaps more overall depth, but Maine had the individual stars who really stepped up and along with Sully's play in the 3rd, that was the difference. We can beat BC even without Abbott. He's a fabulous player as we all know but in any one game, one player, is not always the difference in one game. A win isn't critical anyway. We are playing with house money.
                            I don't think BU has more depth. BU is two line team that has two other lines being forced to try to do more than they should be. BUs third line would be much better as a fourth. Maine is talented and BU can compete with them, but depth is something BU doesn't have. That being said Maine has a fabulous power play. I hope BU has the chance to play the Black Bears again this season, it was an entertaining game except for the result.

Good luck tonight!

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by '93,'99,?? View Post
                              I disagree. The replay on NESN clearly shows Abbott's head jerking back several inches after No. 21 for BU swung his left arm and hit Abbott's jaw with his elbow. Moreover, the replay doesn't show violent contact between Abbott's head and either the ice or the boards.

Comment

So, who takes Abbott's spot on the first line tonight? Anthoine? Mangene? Someone else?
                                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Working...
                                X