Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Agreed, Sully is 90% of the reason we have turned things around, followed by defensive play directly in front of him with blocked shots and shooting lanes as well as clearing of rebounds. This team could always generate offense and play pretty hard. That was never really a problem. I think the BU game is a pickem one, tho we would be a desrved underdog against BC, if it comes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      I'm going to take some serious stick for saying this, but assuming we are safe for the NCAA's this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If Maine makes the final it will mean five games in nine days. On top of that they will have to travel back from Boston and to wherever a few days later. I think a day of practice/rest would be better than another game at this point. I should point out that I care about the NCAA's much more than I do about the hockey east tournament.
      an extra day's rest would have helped Nyquist a lot last season, as it would help anyone with nagging injuries.
      I don't know if anyone has rib bruises or other injuries like those (that a player can play with, but only while hobbling a little)...

I think you are right about the extra game....but like with a lot of NCAA tourneys, the bracket is at least as important as how Maine is currently doing.
      hitting that Union goaltender at his hottest will be a lot worse than hitting BC when Wey coughs the puck up in his own zone a couple times
      Last edited by KnowItAll; 03-14-2012, 08:57 AM.

Comment

This discussion may be moot -- if Maine doesn't clear Sully's rebounds, BU might break their losing streak against Maine in the HEA semis, and we won't have to worry about the strategic implications of playing an extra game.

For the sake of argument, I'll assume it's completely up to Maine whether they make the HEA finals, and that BU has no say in the matter. The way I see it, why not try to get the highest seed possible, advance to the HEA title game, and take your chances vs (in all likelihood) BC?

It would actually be more of a dilemma if the games were reversed. It's the BU game that will be a war. I'm guessing that Parker will be in full "the-refs-won't whistle-everything-so-hack-away" mode, especially after what happened last weekend.

BC will make Maine skate, but a week should be more than enough time to cure tired. It's the game that Maine is already playing that worries me re: reaggravating nagging injuries. And if you're going to play it, you might as well try to win.

Besides, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. This team has taken a nice step forward, but they're nowhere near good enough to be thinking in terms of turning it on and off at will.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Yeah, I think BU will try to make Maine see ghosts from last weekend....hack, chop and elbows.
          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
            THE GREATEST BAR, close to Garden
            So, will I be accepted again this year if I come in to root on the Maine team but all the while wearing a Merrimack hat? Or has the past weekend soured your view of me? LOL :-P
            As everyone knows... there was a crisis, as Justin (MCHOCKEY) went AWOL 4 minutes into the first game... and thankfully he wandered his way to the meet and greet in one piece... listening to Mike (Warrior51) tell this story was *** hilarious...

-Redman after the first night of the HE Tournament(2004).

Comment

Originally posted by MCHOCKEY View Post
              So, will I be accepted again this year if I come in to root on the Maine team but all the while wearing a Merrimack hat? Or has the past weekend soured your view of me? LOL :-P
              I have a good idea that EVERY Maine fan in attendance will welcome every other college hockey fan... every one.
              in person, we even get along with Scarlet... although she does not know who we are.
              AND... we even get along with the gang of well educated trolls on here from Lowell... and with the collar up crowd.

Comment

The only national champion from Hockey East that didn't win the Hockey East title the same year? Maine '99. Screw the rest though might as well win the whole flippin thing.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  The only national champion from Hockey East that didn't win the Hockey East title the same year? Maine '99. Screw the rest though might as well win the whole flippin thing.
                  The odds are very good that if BU wins Hockey East they will be a 1 seed. The odds are 50/50 that Maine would slip enough to be a 4 seed. That automatically means a trip to either Green Bay or St Paul and a 1st round match with Michigan, Minnesota-Duluth or Minnesota (maybe Piotrowski would come out of retirement for that game). The focus is always on winning the tournament, but unless they want to be a massive underdog 2000 miles from home, they better win Friday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by MCHOCKEY View Post
                    Only one way to find out!
                    :-P

Comment

Well, I'll most likely be in town...and I'll most likely be wearing my MC hat (although might pull out my Maine hat for old time sake). Buf if you see a guy in an MC hat looking rather lonely, come say hello LOL Man I miss last year already LOL
                      As everyone knows... there was a crisis, as Justin (MCHOCKEY) went AWOL 4 minutes into the first game... and thankfully he wandered his way to the meet and greet in one piece... listening to Mike (Warrior51) tell this story was *** hilarious...

-Redman after the first night of the HE Tournament(2004).

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        I don't think so, he did skate to the on ice celebration, he was pretty late to it and looked to be be skating kind of lightly?
                        Parker tweets that he will be ready to go this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          The odds are very good that if BU wins Hockey East they will be a 1 seed. The odds are 50/50 that Maine would slip enough to be a 4 seed. That automatically means a trip to either Green Bay or St Paul and a 1st round match with Michigan, Minnesota-Duluth or Minnesota (maybe Piotrowski would come out of retirement for that game). The focus is always on winning the tournament, but unless they want to be a massive underdog 2000 miles from home, they better win Friday night.
                          The loss revenue in ticket sales to the NCAA if Maine heads to Green Bay of St. Paul is huge. You know the NCAA will do everything in it's power to keep us in the East. I will be convervative to say we are good for 2k in tickets to Bridgeport and an easy 3k at Worcester.
                          Now Friday at the Gaahden, or Alfond South, may be one of the largest Maine draws yet. The UMaine tickets sold out by 10:30am on Monday and alot have had to buy from ticketron.
                          GO BLUE!!!
                          How many are hitting the Greatest Bar before hand? I'll be there 5:05 when the Downeaster pulls in.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
                            Parker tweets that he will be ready to go this weekend.
                            That is awesome news, he really looked hurt the way he got off the ice. Its funny you watch what happened and its a fall you see quite a few times during a game but must have been just right to tweak his knee? leg ankle whatever. Glad to hear he'll be ready, he was one of the guys who played thru the crap Saturday night
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Hockey team left for Boston today, big rally in the Union
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                maybe Piotrowski would come out of retirement for that game
                                Gag me with a spoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X