Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Serious discussion topic: How much of it is actually substantive changes in the style, system and preparation versus how much of it is Sully just getting his bleep together?

They seem grittier and more determined which would point to some changes by Whitehead....but none of it matters if Sully's still giving up softies left and right, and goalies are so "out there" I don't know that the thing with Whitehead could have factored in for Sullivan. Maybe he needed a rallying cry? Maybe the way Tim deals with him in practice changed and gave him more confidence?

I don't know but I think the play of the goaltender is paramount to this turnaround. If he played like this last year its 2 in a row for the NCAAs.
    I have to agree...offensively and defensively, I saw very minor changes for the Bears as the season went on, but Sully started to play to his potential. I'm with you on this one Bosox...I think Sully is a HUGE part on why this team has turned it around and are now heading to the NCAA's. Good luck Maine. Send the Boston schools back w/o any hardware this weekend.
    As everyone knows... there was a crisis, as Justin (MCHOCKEY) went AWOL 4 minutes into the first game... and thankfully he wandered his way to the meet and greet in one piece... listening to Mike (Warrior51) tell this story was *** hilarious...

-Redman after the first night of the HE Tournament(2004).

Comment

I gave Whitehead some crap on these threads, but all he has to do is take the team to the Frozen Two again.

Make us believe once again, Tim.

And get off your *** and pull a nutty once in a while, will ya.

Comment

Originally posted by MCHOCKEY View Post
        I have to agree...offensively and defensively, I saw very minor changes for the Bears as the season went on, but Sully started to play to his potential. I'm with you on this one Bosox...I think Sully is a HUGE part on why this team has turned it around and are now heading to the NCAA's. Good luck Maine. Send the Boston schools back w/o any hardware this weekend.
        Thanks, we'd like to accomplish that for sure. I think maybe once the players realized that Sully found his game, they figured, chit, we can win games now versus having softies kill us most of the time. Plus the fact that in the past Maine hasnt always worked hard enough to earn success and maybe that message is finally sinking in. They certainly put out the effort on Sunday to earn that win. Tough series as everyone knew it would be.
        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
          Thanks, we'd like to accomplish that for sure. I think maybe once the players realized that Sully found his game, they figured, chit, we can win games now versus having softies kill us most of the time. Plus the fact that in the past Maine hasnt always worked hard enough to earn success and maybe that message is finally sinking in. They certainly put out the effort on Sunday to earn that win. Tough series as everyone knew it would be.
          Maine definitely put forth a huge effort on Sunday...they definitely outplayed us and definitely deserved the W...definitely a hard fought series as everyone expected, I just wish half the stuff didn't go on that made us look like thugs...if you watched us all season, or penalty minutes were high (what Hockey East school didn't have high Penalty minutes compared to other conferences LOL), but they weren't the same type of penalties as you saw in this series. I think they are getting a bad rap for what happened in a single series that all started with a bang (hit on Bates). So say what you will...it was an exciting series...it was a close series...and I can honestly say the better team won. Cannata was the only reason we were in game 1 and for some part of it, game 3. Good luck at the Gahden
          As everyone knows... there was a crisis, as Justin (MCHOCKEY) went AWOL 4 minutes into the first game... and thankfully he wandered his way to the meet and greet in one piece... listening to Mike (Warrior51) tell this story was *** hilarious...

-Redman after the first night of the HE Tournament(2004).

Comment

Originally posted by MCHOCKEY View Post
            Maine definitely put forth a huge effort on Sunday...they definitely outplayed us and definitely deserved the W...definitely a hard fought series as everyone expected, I just wish half the stuff didn't go on that made us look like thugs...if you watched us all season, or penalty minutes were high (what Hockey East school didn't have high Penalty minutes compared to other conferences LOL), but they weren't the same type of penalties as you saw in this series. I think they are getting a bad rap for what happened in a single series that all started with a bang (hit on Bates). So say what you will...it was an exciting series...it was a close series...and I can honestly say the better team won. Cannata was the only reason we were in game 1 and for some part of it, game 3. Good luck at the Gahden
            If the Mainuhs bring the same level of effort this weekend, well that is all you can hope for. With some puckluck and Sully holding the fort, anything is possible. We're certainly an underdog, but I think the boyz like playing at TDB. Its time for a change at the top, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
              Serious discussion topic: How much of it is actually substantive changes in the style, system and preparation versus how much of it is Sully just getting his bleep together?

They seem grittier and more determined which would point to some changes by Whitehead....but none of it matters if Sully's still giving up softies left and right, and goalies are so "out there" I don't know that the thing with Whitehead could have factored in for Sullivan. Maybe he needed a rallying cry? Maybe the way Tim deals with him in practice changed and gave him more confidence?

I don't know but I think the play of the goaltender is paramount to this turnaround. If he played like this last year its 2 in a row for the NCAAs.
              Plain and simple this is responsible for 90% of the difference as far as I am concerned. Not saying Sully should be MVP or anything, but once Sully was inserted as the #1 goalie and the team realized they could count on him to make 90% of the saves they started playing with much more confidence. Last year they were tentative for good reason, they did not think their goalie would bail them out and they were right. Once Sully found his groove the team did not have to worry about getting back for every shot and could skate forward and not fear making the pass that ended up in the back of the net. Just a huge difference!

Defense has also done an excellent job of clearing rebounds and blocking shots. Two times that Merrimack had the extra attacker Maine D was great denying the middle of the ice! Can't wait to see them back on Garden ice!

Comment

Tampa Bay just scored a goal against the Bruins that was waved off on the ice because it went off a skate. After review it was ruled a goal. It's worth checking out the highlight just to compare that goal with the goal that was waved off on Sunday. I am still pretty disgusted with that call by the Hockey East officials on that goal that was waved off.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                  Tampa Bay just scored a goal against the Bruins that was waved off on the ice because it went off a skate. After review it was ruled a goal. It's worth checking out the highlight just to compare that goal with the goal that was waved off on Sunday. I am still pretty disgusted with that call by the Hockey East officials on that goal that was waved off.
                  Yeah, when I saw the replay I said....itza goal, no question...then I remembered how they always call these and said to myself, fohgetatboutit !

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                    Keep in mind I agree completely that the Maine goal should have counted, but it's worth noting that the NHL rulebook and the NCAA rulebook are different.
                    Last edited by lkenney; 03-13-2012, 07:09 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
                      Keep in mind I agree completely that the Maine goal should have counted, but it's worth noting that the NHL rulebook and the NCAA rulebook are different.
                      Does anybody have a copy of the NCAA rulebook ?? What does it say ??..........

Comment

Where is everyone meeting pre-game (PUB) in Boston this weekend................?

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                          Where is everyone meeting pre-game (PUB) in Boston this weekend................?
                          THE GREATEST BAR, close to Garden

Comment

goals that are kicked or directed are not goals
                            upon replay, the ref is to look for a distinct kicking motion.
                            google "mens ice hockey ncaa rulebook" and you can download a pdf
                            then within the pdf do a seach for the terms: (one at a time)
                            replay
                            kick
                            kicking
                            directed
                            scoring
                            and that will get you all of the rules

Comment

Rule 6, Section 18: ". . . A goal shall not be allowed if the puck has been kicked or directed into the goal off an attacking player's skate or any body part. When in doubt, the goal shall be disallowed. A goal shall be allowed if a puck deflects off an attacking player who is in the act of stopping. . . ."

Comment

By contrast, the NHL's Rule 78.5, Disallowed goals: "Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons: (i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick. (ii) When the puck has been kicked using a distinct kicking motion."

Comment

Working...
                                X