PDA

View Full Version : Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

BobF
03-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Serious discussion topic: How much of it is actually substantive changes in the style, system and preparation versus how much of it is Sully just getting his bleep together?

They seem grittier and more determined which would point to some changes by Whitehead....but none of it matters if Sully's still giving up softies left and right, and goalies are so "out there" I don't know that the thing with Whitehead could have factored in for Sullivan. Maybe he needed a rallying cry? Maybe the way Tim deals with him in practice changed and gave him more confidence?

I don't know but I think the play of the goaltender is paramount to this turnaround. If he played like this last year its 2 in a row for the NCAAs.

Plain and simple this is responsible for 90% of the difference as far as I am concerned. Not saying Sully should be MVP or anything, but once Sully was inserted as the #1 goalie and the team realized they could count on him to make 90% of the saves they started playing with much more confidence. Last year they were tentative for good reason, they did not think their goalie would bail them out and they were right. Once Sully found his groove the team did not have to worry about getting back for every shot and could skate forward and not fear making the pass that ended up in the back of the net. Just a huge difference!

Defense has also done an excellent job of clearing rebounds and blocking shots. Two times that Merrimack had the extra attacker Maine D was great denying the middle of the ice! Can't wait to see them back on Garden ice!

blackbearbandie
03-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Tampa Bay just scored a goal against the Bruins that was waved off on the ice because it went off a skate. After review it was ruled a goal. It's worth checking out the highlight just to compare that goal with the goal that was waved off on Sunday. I am still pretty disgusted with that call by the Hockey East officials on that goal that was waved off.

acs64
03-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Tampa Bay just scored a goal against the Bruins that was waved off on the ice because it went off a skate. After review it was ruled a goal. It's worth checking out the highlight just to compare that goal with the goal that was waved off on Sunday. I am still pretty disgusted with that call by the Hockey East officials on that goal that was waved off.
Yeah, when I saw the replay I said....itza goal, no question...then I remembered how they always call these and said to myself, fohgetatboutit !

lkenney
03-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Keep in mind I agree completely that the Maine goal should have counted, but it's worth noting that the NHL rulebook and the NCAA rulebook are different.

fiqure8
03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Keep in mind I agree completely that the Maine goal should have counted, but it's worth noting that the NHL rulebook and the NCAA rulebook are different.

Does anybody have a copy of the NCAA rulebook ?? What does it say ??..........

fiqure8
03-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Where is everyone meeting pre-game (PUB) in Boston this weekend................?

lkenney
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Where is everyone meeting pre-game (PUB) in Boston this weekend................?

THE GREATEST BAR, close to Garden

KnowItAll
03-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Does anybody have a copy of the NCAA rulebook ?? What does it say ??..........

goals that are kicked or directed are not goals
upon replay, the ref is to look for a distinct kicking motion.
google "mens ice hockey ncaa rulebook" and you can download a pdf
then within the pdf do a seach for the terms: (one at a time)
replay
kick
kicking
directed
scoring
and that will get you all of the rules

dwollstadt
03-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Does anybody have a copy of the NCAA rulebook ?? What does it say ??..........Rule 6, Section 18: ". . . A goal shall not be allowed if the puck has been kicked or directed into the goal off an attacking player's skate or any body part. When in doubt, the goal shall be disallowed. A goal shall be allowed if a puck deflects off an attacking player who is in the act of stopping. . . ."

dwollstadt
03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
By contrast, the NHL's Rule 78.5, Disallowed goals: "Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons: (i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick. (ii) When the puck has been kicked using a distinct kicking motion."

Drew S.
03-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Its Jackie and the refs vs Timmay, BU has it in the bag

I'm going to take some serious stick for saying this, but assuming we are safe for the NCAA's this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If Maine makes the final it will mean five games in nine days. On top of that they will have to travel back from Boston and to wherever a few days later. I think a day of practice/rest would be better than another game at this point. I should point out that I care about the NCAA's much more than I do about the hockey east tournament.

mickeyj65
03-13-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm going to take some serious stick for saying this, but assuming we are safe for the NCAA's this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If Maine makes the final it will mean five games in nine days. On top of that they will have to travel back from Boston and to wherever a few days later. I think a day of practice/rest would be better than another game at this point. I should point out that I care about the NCAA's much more than I do about the hockey east tournament.

Right, but losing to BU could get them sent out West, and winning the tournament would most likely keep them in the East somewhere.

BlackI
03-13-2012, 10:02 PM
C'mon up for the rising. :D

Oh yeah, and by the way, I have it on good authority that KnowItAll is a d-bag.

Wally just makes the cut. LOL :D

dwollstadt
03-13-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm going to take some serious stick for saying this, but assuming we are safe for the NCAA's this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If Maine makes the final it will mean five games in nine days. On top of that they will have to travel back from Boston and to wherever a few days later. I think a day of practice/rest would be better than another game at this point. I should point out that I care about the NCAA's much more than I do about the hockey east tournament.I'm not sure that we're safe for the NCAA tournament if we lose to BU. Losing to BU would put us at 13 in the pairwise if all the higher seeds win, but there might be scenarios where a team or two would move up in the pairwise and push us down. Then, if a couple of unranked teams win their conference tournaments, we could wind up on the outside looking in.

TripleE
03-13-2012, 10:30 PM

Do you think any player with a competitive bone in their body cares about 5 games in 9 days? There's no better practice for the NCAAs than playing two top teams, back to back nights, in front of a big crowd, with something on the line. And if your compete level is such that you'd prefer one extra day of rest over an opportunity to win every single thing you can get your hands on, then it's probably a moot point because your mental toughness isn't strong enough to keep up with a serious run at the NCAAs...especially if you aspire to play a higher league of hockey post NCAA.

I hope like crazy there isn't one Black Bear player who agrees with your assessment!

gscott13
03-13-2012, 10:35 PM

THE GREATEST BAR, close to Garden

on friend street... if you are facing causeway street with the garden to your back canal is on the other side of causeway one block to the left

TripleE
03-13-2012, 10:40 PM
on canal street... if you are facing causeway street with the garden to your back canal is on the other side of causeway to the left

Isn't it on Friend Street?

gscott13
03-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Isn't it on Friend Street?

gah... you're right... i'll fix my post...

i always confuse it with hurricane o'reillys...

TripleE
03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
gah... you're right... i'll fix my post...

Maybe I missed this: But what's the prime time for this pregame event. I know they usually have the band and a few folks speaking. Any idea when this is going down? I'd like to go to at least some of game 1, but it'd be great to do both.

gscott13
03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Maybe I missed this: But what's the prime time for this pregame event. I know they usually have the band and a few folks speaking. Any idea when this is going down? I'd like to go to at least some of game 1, but it'd be great to do both.

no idea... i typically belly up at The Fours and then head in for both games...