Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    But you're conveniently leaving out the part that you don't want to talk about. It doesn't say "If the puck goes in off a skate, no goal" - it says if it is DIRECTED in it's no goal, if it's NOT directed in, it's a goal. In BOTH cases it goes in off a skate. You're deliberately trying to muddle the issue. True about the "stopping" part, but that doesn't negate the rest of it, which you are (I feel) intentionally leaving out...and I don't care one way or another because I'm not a Maine OR Merrimack fan.
    What you're leaving out is that the rule requires the referee to determine "intent" when that is nearly impossible. When it's a bang-bang play like that, how can you possibly determine the intent of the player? You can't crawl inside someone's brain and determine that. Anthoine was stopping so he wouldn't run into Cannata, I doubt he ever saw the puck...but if there's any doubt at all, wave off the goal. Just eliminate the clause and have referees officiate the game and leave the headshrinking to trained professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
      Maine's Black Bears of Boston group will host a pregame event at The Greatest Bar on Friend Street http://thegreatestbar.com/ before the game on Friday, and would expect it to be back at the same place Saturday should Maine win Friday night.
      Thanks Bob

Time?

Comment

Kick it in or direct it in by changing skate blade angle - NO GOAL

No kick or no redirection of skate blade angle, whether stopping or not - GOAL

Very clear and simple. But the refs dont follow the rules most of the time on this. I'd be willing to bet if the player is looking down at his skate when the puck changes direction, 99% of the time it will be waived. = suspicion of intent If the player is looking up in the stands at that stacked blond, itza goal!
        Last edited by acs64; 03-12-2012, 12:05 PM.
        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post

Very clear and simple. But the refs dont follow the rules most of the time on this. I'd be willing to bet if the player is looking down at his skate when the puck changes direction, 99% of the time it will be waived. = suspicion of intent If the player is looking up in the stands at that stacked blond, itza goal!
          when you say stacked, you're talking about the number of chins, right?

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
            Thanks Bob

Time?
            Would just get there early, as place is big so even if the event is on the 3rd floor you'll notice a distinct blue color throughout. Band should make an appearance but event will likely go until 7 or possibly a bit later.

Comment

Originally posted by chripy View Post
              when you say stacked, you're talking about the number of chins, right?
              Hope not

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                What you're leaving out is that the rule requires the referee to determine "intent" when that is nearly impossible. When it's a bang-bang play like that, how can you possibly determine the intent of the player? You can't crawl inside someone's brain and determine that. Anthoine was stopping so he wouldn't run into Cannata, I doubt he ever saw the puck...but if there's any doubt at all, wave off the goal. Just eliminate the clause and have referees officiate the game and leave the headshrinking to trained professionals.
                No...they're looking to see if there was a MOTION of the skate "directing" the puck towards the goal. It's not intent - it's visual evidence. That's not crawling into their head. That's the whole justification (in their eyes) of the replay. By slowing the play down you can see things that you couldn't possibly be expected to see real time. I get that. Of course it's a bang-bang play - that's the whole point. But what I'm saying is that if they then don't make the RIGHT call, it's pointless to even go to replay. And personally, I think they would rather make the safe, or less controversial call so as not to open themselves up to criticism. So if you're going to do that, why bother?

And that's why it's ludicrous. Why SHOULD they bring wrath upon themselves? The problem is not the rule - the rule is clear. The problem is (and always is) the interpretation of the rule. If it hits a guy's skate and he clearly did not make a motion with his foot to direct the puck, then it should be ruled a goal. If they DON'T call it that way, that's not my fault. But that doesn't make the RULE wrong. Since so many are reluctant to do that, however, we're right back where we started from.

I still say just let them play the game. Are we going to review every cross-check to see if (in the words of the immortal Johnny Pierson "two hands on the stick, no part of the stick on the ice, Fred") it's really a penalty? Every trip to see if he actually touched the puck before making contact with the player? Every offside while we go frame-by-frame to see if part of the skate was still in contact with the blue line when the puck entered the zone? And I'm not being sarcastic. But where does it end?

PLAY THE GAME!!
                Last edited by chickod; 03-12-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Someone at NHL.com thinks that Abbott and Flynn may see some action after this season is over for Maine: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=621766

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post

Well, based on years of following Maine Hockey, this particular law is immutable: if a puck goes off a Maine player's skate into an opponent's net, it is No Goal. If a puck goes off an opponent's skate into Maine net, it is a Goal. You should know better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by whatever View Post
                      Well, based on years of following Maine Hockey, this particular law is immutable: if a puck goes off a Maine player's skate into an opponent's net, it is No Goal. If a puck goes off an opponent's skate into Maine net, it is a Goal. You should know better than that.
                      lucas lawson

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                        lucas lawson
                        I am talking about the newer crop of Refs. If there were some way to collate data on this in this century alone, and also the no. of times a Maine goal was disallowed due to crease violations vs. when the other team did it and was not disallowed and these were similiar, I think we'd be shocked at the results. Ref Bias, I tell ya

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
                          Someone at NHL.com thinks that Abbott and Flynn may see some action after this season is over for Maine: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=621766
                          These two players have flown under the radar and have developed tremendously at Maine. The slapshot by Abbott last night was a howitzer. The way he strided into the puck on the pass from Shemansky was incredible. There was no way Cannata could have reacted quick enough to stop that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                            These two players have flown under the radar and have developed tremendously at Maine. The slapshot by Abbott last night was a howitzer. The way he strided into the puck on the pass from Shemansky was incredible. There was no way Cannata could have reacted quick enough to stop that one.
                            Reminded me of the blast the Minnesota player put past Jimmy Howard in an NCAA game years ago to win it I think 1-0 for Minnie...played at Marriucci ?

Comment

By the way, how's that petition going on Facebook? I don't do Facebook.

Comment

Did anybody else notice Shemansky had one heck of a game yesterday?

Comment

Working...
                                X