Patty Kaz 2012 - Top Three

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patty Kaz 2012 - Top Three

Who do you think will take home the hardware?
    Brianna Decker - junior forward - Univ. of Wisconsin - 37GP, 36G-42A--78 Pts
    40.32%
    Jocelyne Lamoureux - junior forward - Univ. of North Dakota - 36GP, 34G-48A--82 Pts
    38.71%
    Florence Schelling - senior goaltender - Northeastern Univ. - 20-6-4 record, 1.42 GAA, .950 sv%
    20.97%

The poll is expired.

Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Re: Patty Kaz 2012 - Top Three

Decker. Won't be close.

Comment

Exactly who I said would be here. We will see what matters more a great defense or really good offense.

Comment

Since it isn't a public poll, I'll fess up. My vote went to J Lam. I think the edge is with the forwards. Not necessarily endorsing that but seems to be the reality most often.

I suspect it is / will be close myself given the attributes of all.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I don't think it will be a runaway, but Lamoureux would be my vote with more points and student-athlete of the year. In WCHA competition alone, she outscored Decker by 10 points.

Comment

Originally posted by yungblud View Post
            I don't think it will be a runaway, but Lamoureux would be my vote with more points and student-athlete of the year. In WCHA competition alone, she outscored Decker by 10 points.
            Lamoureux also had 12 more penalties for 24 more minutes in the sin bin.

Being a die-hard Gopher fan, I'm not exactly thrilled with either choice, but I think one of the two will win (rather than Schelling).
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Decker finished ahead in goals per game and game-winning goals, which might count for more. The penalties could hurt Lamoureux. She finished #2 in the league in penalties, second only to her sister. Read whatever you like into that stat, but I'm guessing it matters.

Comment

Gotta go with Schelling - she had fewer penalties

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Seuss Fan View Post
                  Gotta go with Schelling - she had fewer penalties
                  A perfect angel.

Comment

Wow, that has to be as evenly divided a poll as I can remember.

As for predicting who will win, at least between Decker & JLam: We know Decker was generally the better performer against the best teams, as others detailed in the other Kaz thread. We also know that JLam had more total points and didn't have quite the same talent to work with as Decker. We know JLam has a 3.87 GPA, which has to be significantly better than Decker's GPA. We know Decker was WCHA POTY. Was the WCHA POTY really a close call so that JLam will now take the Kaz due to the additional academic criteria? Or is Decker just a much more dominant player, so that the academic advantage just won't be enough to put JLam over the top? That's what it comes down to.

Comment

I think it's more of a hockey award than an academic award. From the Kaz website:

An award of The USA Hockey Foundation, the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award is presented annually to the top player in NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey. Other selection criteria include outstanding individual and team skills, sportsmanship, performance in the clutch, personal character, competitiveness and a love of hockey. Consideration is also given to academic achievement and civic involvement.
                      Almost sounds like academics was an afterthought.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
                        I think it's more of a hockey award than an academic award. ... Almost sounds like academics was an afterthought.
                        Sure, but I don't think it can be written off to that degree. I'm sure academics didn't hurt the candidacy of all of the Harvard players that have won, or people like Bauer, Bendus, or Duggan. Yes, you have to be a great hockey player, but at this stage, everyone is.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Exactly, but some consideration is given to academics and that's one potential reason why the Kaz outcome may differ from WCHA Player of the Year. Also USA Hockey makes the GPAs salient on the ballot - a really mediocre GPA can hurt, though all these players must be decent to have made it this far. You're right though that strong academics won't make up a huge difference in performance, so is Decker significantly better on the ice than JLam or was it really close? My instinct is JLam needed to be a bit better against the big 3 to win this, but we can debate.

Comment

I know I was curious how the voting worked to get to where we are now in the process and I thought others might be interested as well.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I got the info from this link...http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012...-kaz-finalists

"The award selection process began in late February, when NCAA Division I women's ice hockey coaches were asked to nominate players for the award. Players who were nominated by two or more coaches were then placed on an official ballot, which was then sent back to the coaches to vote for the top 10 finalists. The independent accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP, tabulated the ballots.

The three finalists, including the recipient of the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award, will be chosen by a 13-member selection committee comprised of NCAA Division I women's ice hockey coaches, representatives of the print and broadcast media, an at-large member and a representative of USA Hockey, the national governing body for the sport of ice hockey in the United States."

Does anybody know who is on the 13 member committee that chooses the winner from the 3 finalists? I am guessing that it is public knowledge who sits on the committee.
                            THINK PINK
                            BLEED BLUE

Comment

The committee chooses the three & winner from the 10. It does not choose the winner from the three.

I don't believe the current committee is public knowledge, but it gets announced at the award dinner every year and I think it's typically on the program. Some years USCHO has reported it, like this one (see the sidebar).

Comment

Working...
                              X