X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

For every dark night, there's a brighter day--Tupac

Wisconsin starts the WCHA playoffs this week but I thought I would take a quick peek ahead at the future.

The Badgers are expected to return 85% of their goals next season. Here are the past six national champions percentages of returning scoring when they won the title.

2011--Minnesota-Duluth: Returned 83%
    2010--Boston College: Returned 55%
    2009--Boston University: Returned 66%
    2008--Boston College: Returned 75%
    2007--Michigan State: Returned 67%
    2006--Wisconsin: Returned 95%

FWIW Wisconsin returned 85% of their previous seasons goals heading into the 2010 season.

Not saying they will be natty title good, but there is a little food for thought.

Wisconsin Hockey: Experience wins
    Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 03-05-2012, 03:22 AM.

Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

The last few seasons have effectively reduced my expectations.

WCHA home ice and a NCAA berth and some unreasonable hope that we wont be back at square one (again) in 2013-14.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      The last few seasons have effectively reduced my expectations.

WCHA home ice and a NCAA berth and some unreasonable hope that we wont be back at square one (again) in 2013-14.
      If we don't get the first two of those next year, I'll be leading those who are demanding some major changes. Shouldn't be back at square one until 2014-15 when this years SO graduate, even then 2015-16 will be the low point unless Eaves finds a way to even the classes out UW will be back in a situation of having nearly no upperclassmen again.

Comment

I'm just saying that I've been getting to the point where I don't think I should expect much (I'm now hoping for what other "powerhouse" programs can and should take for granted).

I won't bother dreaming for another title until we're in the misdst of three straight seasons of not starting over. Any title we win until we see that would be either the result of a bad team getting dumb luck and good fortune or (like 2010 if we had pulled that one off) the result of a good team finally getting its act together after a few bad seasons.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

We've all chatted about the un-even recruiting classes, so I was curious about all of Springer's classmates. Here's the list:

Springer, Gardiner, R Little, Murray, Stepan, Thurber, Hickey. 3 left early for the pros, 1 left early on his own, 1 got kicked off the team, 1 red-shirted. I really can't see how you can fault Eaves for this mess. The only thing he had control of was red-shirting Little, which now in retrospect was a mistake from a balancing the classes point of view. Thurber and Hickey were 4 yr guys, but they had to be replaced re-maturely. I think Chick alluded to the fact that the herd @ F may get culled at some point. There's no other way to fix it, is there?

Rumpel and Petersen have looked very good this year, I'd say better than the guys who graduated last year. You just don't see them allowing any ugly goals, at least in the 12 or so games I've seen. I don't think there's much difference between Petersen and Rumpel at this point. I wonder if Eaves could somehow get away with redshirting Petersen to stagger the goaltendeing classes and extend a guy who can make a difference down the road. I know UW's got another goalie lined up, what class is he?
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I wonder if Eaves could somehow get away with redshirting Petersen to stagger the goaltendeing classes and extend a guy who can make a difference down the road. I know UW's got another goalie lined up, what class is he?
            2013, when Rumpel and Peterson will be juniors.

Comment

We've all chatted about the un-even recruiting classes, so I was curious about all of Springer's classmates. Here's the list:

Springer, Gardiner, R Little, Murray, Stepan, Thurber, Hickey. 3 left early for the pros, 1 left early on his own, 1 got kicked off the team, 1 red-shirted. I really can't see how you can fault Eaves for this mess. The only thing he had control of was red-shirting Little, which now in retrospect was a mistake from a balancing the classes point of view. Thurber and Hickey were 4 yr guys, but they had to be replaced re-maturely. I think Chick alluded to the fact that the herd @ F may get culled at some point. There's no other way to fix it, is there?

Rumpel and Petersen have looked very good this year, I'd say better than the guys who graduated last year. You just don't see them allowing any ugly goals, at least in the 12 or so games I've seen. I don't think there's much difference between Petersen and Rumpel at this point. I wonder if Eaves could somehow get away with redshirting Petersen to stagger the goaltendeing classes and extend a guy who can make a difference down the road. I know UW's got another goalie lined up, what class is he?
              R. Little came in as a Dman, moving him to F actually helped balance the classes. Hickey was a numbers casualty, he never really saw any playing time and didn't hang around long enough for the player logjam in-front of him to clear. IICR, Hickey was in a weird place because he was drafted before his senior year of HS which forced him to come to UW a year early and be buried on the depth chart.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                2013, when Rumpel and Peterson will be juniors.
                So then the next question is can Thompson be an adequate back-up next year for Rumpel? He'll be a Sr, as trained as he'll ever be, and he was to be the back-up before Eaves signed Petersen so late in the process, so I'd lean towards yes. So then when Rumpel is a Jr, Petersen would be a So, and player x (name please Chuck) will be a Fr.

I wonder if Eaves will play Rumpel all 3 games this weekend, or maybe play Petersen Saturday night, so Rumpel is fresh to close it out Sunday. I think Petersen is capable of closing it out or keeping them alive Saturday.

Comment

So then the next question is can Thompson be an adequate back-up next year for Rumpel? He'll be a Sr, as trained as he'll ever be, and he was to be the back-up before Eaves signed Petersen so late in the process, so I'd lean towards yes. So then when Rumpel is a Jr, Petersen would be a So, and player x (name please Chuck) will be a Fr.

I wonder if Eaves will play Rumpel all 3 games this weekend, or maybe play Petersen Saturday night, so Rumpel is fresh to close it out Sunday. I think Petersen is capable of closing it out or keeping them alive Saturday.
                  The 2013 recruit is Gabe Grunwald, for now.

I don't know about the idea on red-shirting Peterson. I don't think I'm a fan (initial reaction). I'd rather get back on the 2 year rotation like the coaching staff is trying to do. It's going to be hard to recruit a goaltender for the 2015 season with him knowing that he's going to come in as a third stringer behind Peterson and Grunwald.

Comment

Probably going to write about this tomorrow, but I can't wait to watch Joseph Labate and Brendan Woods over the next two seasons. Those two guys are going to be absolute monsters. Brendan has come so far this season, can't wait to see where his career takes him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      The 2013 recruit is Gabe Grunwald, for now.

I don't know about the idea on red-shirting Peterson. I don't think I'm a fan (initial reaction). I'd rather get back on the 2 year rotation like the coaching staff is trying to do. It's going to be hard to recruit a goaltender for the 2015 season with him knowing that he's going to come in as a third stringer behind Peterson and Grunwald.
                      Brad Eidsness and Aaron Dell.
                      Alex Kangas and Kent Patterson.
                      Joe Howe and Josh Thorimbert.
                      John Faulkner and Ryan Massa.

I agree with Chuck. It doesn't seem like a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket like that.
                      Last edited by Stauber1; 03-05-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I didn't realize until this morning that Bucky only finished 4 pts out of 6th place in the WCHA standings. Looking through the season, it is not hard to find those 4 or 5 pts either. Getting swept at home by SCSU, losing two in OT to Tech, only getting a pt at home vs Duluth. That is an easy four points extra right there.

But that is all in the past, the Badgers are hot and they have a good history in Denver. I'm not counting their season over just yet. Would really enjoy wearing a Badger jersey to the Final Five next week with them on the ice to support.
                        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                        Originally posted by UWisco
                        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                          I didn't realize until this morning that Bucky only finished 4 pts out of 6th place in the WCHA standings. Looking through the season, it is not hard to find those 4 or 5 pts either. Getting swept at home by SCSU, losing two in OT to Tech, only getting a pt at home vs Duluth. That is an easy four points extra right there.
                          I saw that and had the same reaction too. They made a nice run at the end and just ran out of games.

On the goalie discussion, I do like the fact they will get back to the jr/fr rotation with goalies, if the plans hold up. Plus ifthey did redshirt Petersen, they'd have 3 scholarship goalies for 2 years. I was just trying to find a way for Petersen to play, he's definately capable of playing in this league. But I'm sure he knew coming into this Rumpel had the inside edge on the starting spot.

Comment

On the goalie discussion, I do like the fact they will get back to the jr/fr rotation with goalies, if the plans hold up. Plus ifthey did redshirt Petersen, they'd have 3 scholarship goalies for 2 years. I was just trying to find a way for Petersen to play, he's definately capable of playing in this league. But I'm sure he knew coming into this Rumpel had the inside edge on the starting spot.
                            I still think Peterson is going to play. The coaching staff likes him and he's going to see time. Joel is (rightfully so) the #1 but It's probably going to be a 2/3, 1/3 split like it was this year.

Comment

I suppose Mark Zengerle is included in the returning scoring? Is he guaranteed to return like Craig Smith was guaranteed to return?

Comment

Working...
                              X