Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Just seems it would be easier, and more popular, to charge $10 for general admission to the U-18 game.

"All practices are open to the public..." Is that really true?

Comment

I CAN'T WAIT FOR HOCKEY SEASON! c'mon drop the puck already.

ps - Barry please fire Bielema, and you can go too. is there an offense more predictable and less imaginative in the entirety of college football anywhere?
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
        No one is going to stop you if you walk into the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          No one is going to stop you if you walk into the arena.
          I've watched some of practice before, had members of the hockey staff look me over before they decided I wasn't going to cause any mischief.

That said, watching a hockey practice isn't the most inherently exciting thing to do.
          Last edited by Almington; 09-16-2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Just seems it would be easier, and more popular, to charge $10 for general admission to the U-18 game.

They should never charge full price for an exhibition game, I don't care if it's against the 1980 Soviet Olympic team. It's an EXHIBITION game. Secondly, this game is on the first day of practice. It's really nothing more than a scrimmage. What a joke.

As far as watching practice, I assumed it was a no-no for the public. If I lived in Madison, I'd go watch practice. I used to love watching my kid's hockey practices.

I don't want to turn is into a FB discussion, but I'm not necessarily looking for offensive imagination as I am just the simple clean execution by 11 players on more than 2 plays in a row.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              They should never charge full price for an exhibition game, I don't care if it's against the 1980 Soviet Olympic team. It's an EXHIBITION game. Secondly, this game is on the first day of practice. It's really nothing more than a scrimmage. What a joke.

As far as watching practice, I assumed it was a no-no for the public. If I lived in Madison, I'd go watch practice. I used to love watching my kid's hockey practices.

I don't want to turn is into a FB discussion, but I'm not necessarily looking for offensive imagination as I am just the simple clean execution by 11 players on more than 2 plays in a row.
              They may start thinking differently if they a crowd around 5,000 or so.

Not that I would go to a practice at this point, but I remember getting kicked out of a men's basketball practice during my first fall on campus. Had a late afternoon class and just wandered into the Fieldhouse just to see what was going on. Sat in bleachers for about 5 minutes and then one of Yoder's assistants asked me who the hell I was and why the hell I was there. "Just hanging out, Coach" was not the correct answer and was firmly asked to leave. I was a freshman, I didn't know any better. Based on that experience, just figured all practices are closed, regardless of sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                I've watched some of practice before, had members of the hockey staff look me over before they decided I wasn't going to cause any mischief.

That said, watching a hockey practice isn't the most inherently exciting thing to do.

Comment

They may start thinking differently if they a crowd around 5,000 or so.

Not that I would go to a practice at this point, but I remember getting kicked out of a men's basketball practice during my first fall on campus. Had a late afternoon class and just wandered into the Fieldhouse just to see what was going on. Sat in bleachers for about 5 minutes and then one of Yoder's assistants asked me who the hell I was and why the hell I was there. "Just hanging out, Coach" was not the correct answer and was firmly asked to leave. I was a freshman, I didn't know any better. Based on that experience, just figured all practices are closed, regardless of sport.
                  The minimum attendance that will be reported is the number of season tickets packages with that ticket that are sold. If I had a family and lived in Madison I'd look at taking them to this game as I suspect that tickets on the street should be crazy cheap and you should be able to sit anywhere in the 3rd deck without much of an issue.

I think that if practice is open or not depends on when in the season it is and varies from program to program, I doubt that is is a university wide policy.
                  Last edited by Almington; 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

In an e-mail from the UW Athletic Dept:

UW men’s hockey to celebrate 50th season in the modern era

Year-long celebration symbolized with new logo

MADISON, Wis. – For the start of the 1963-64 school year, then-Director of Athletics Ivan B. Williamson called on head coach John Riley to bring intercollegiate ice hockey back to the University of Wisconsin. The Badgers previously had a varsity program between 1921 and 1935. Today, Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez and men’s hockey head coach Mike Eaves announce a season-long celebration as the program recognizes the 50th season in the modern era of Badger hockey.

“The history of Wisconsin men’s hockey is one of the strengths of the program and the entire Wisconsin athletic department and we want to take a look back at all that has been accomplished, while at the same time look forward to the coming season and the future,” said Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez. “From the facilities, with the Kohl Center and now LaBahn Arena, to the program’s tradition and fan support, there is a lot to celebrate.”

In addition to the logo, which will be featured prominently on Wisconsin’s jerseys, on the boards at the Kohl Center and on shirts handed out to student season-ticket holders, the program is honoring its history in other ways.

The 2012-13 season marks the 50th anniversary of Badger hockey, and also marks the 40th anniversary of the program’s first NCAA title in 1973, and the 30th year since UW’s fourth NCAA title in 1983. Nights honoring those NCAA championship teams will make up part of the schedule. The department will honor the 1973 team on Friday, Jan. 25 when the Badgers skate against Alaska Anchorage, while recognition comes for the 1983 squad on Friday, Feb. 8 when Wisconsin takes on Bemidji State.

Throughout the season, men’s hockey will also recognize honorary captains during all 19 regular-season home games with names and a schedule to come. The honorary captain will make the ceremonial first puck drop each night.

On Friday, Nov. 2, the ice at the Kohl Center will be dedicated to “Badger” Bob Johnson and be officially named for the program’s greatest architect.

In addition, this year’s schedule poster will pay homage to the program’s history and tie the current day Badgers to the teams from the 1920s and 1930s.

“I was here in the 1970s as a student-athlete when Bob Johnson was the coach and have been here for the last decade as a coach myself, and it has been a great journey,” said Eaves. “We carry the torch forward for everyone who has been involved throughout the last 50 years and the entire history of the program, and we want to use this season as a chance to recognize some of those people and the tradition they created.”

Look for information on other ways the program will celebrate its 50th year in the modern era as the season progresses.

Men’s hockey opens the season with an exhibition game on Saturday, Oct. 6 against the U.S. Under-18 Team beginning 8 p.m. at the Kohl Center. The regular season starts Friday, Oct. 12 against Northern Michigan in Green Bay, Wis. The Badgers begin their regular-season home schedule on Friday, Nov. 2 against Colorado College at 7 p.m.
                    That's pretty cool.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

*****http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/657966095.jpg?key=355355&Expires=1347916762&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=p5LYvnkfzoJmxI~AYfqHy6RtkPW5ShF4tyNbNpHr 0br2C9SBUmpb3HtvckMiWOafowipoZdqdmi72ji0vknndI749z ilk0Vy0jOUgBGQYuM0xPb6e1N9XXaTLQvadl937tvISa7OZl2E 7vOvGq0o3P0aeUOJpD6Hhfeekm6Wzko_******

Comment

They should honor the 1981 team before the Minnesota outdoor game.
                        If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post
                          They should honor the 1981 team before the Minnesota outdoor game.
                          an EXCELLENT idea!!!!
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            In an e-mail from the UW Athletic Dept:

That's pretty cool.

See? Uncle Bear Bear loves us.

They should be doing more of this moving forward. I guess a ceremonial puck-dropper could get old if they do it every game of every season, but it wouldn't hurt to do a few in future seasons.

The Blackhawks have a former player at just about every home game signing autos for an hour or so. They often have heritage nights for former players. They've had a renewed emphasis on the heritage of the organization and it's been very well received down there.

The Badgers could do this on a more limited scale. The video was a good start (and took long enough to do), but more can be done.

Honor the past. It's important.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              See? Uncle Bear Bear loves us.

They should be doing more of this moving forward. I guess a ceremonial puck-dropper could get old if they do it every game of every season, but it wouldn't hurt to do a few in future seasons.

The Blackhawks have a former player at just about every home game signing autos for an hour or so. They often have heritage nights for former players. They've had a renewed emphasis on the heritage of the organization and it's been very well received down there.

The Badgers could do this on a more limited scale. The video was a good start (and took long enough to do), but more can be done.

Honor the past. It's important.
                              As long as they're ready for a spike in waterbottle sales.

And as Badgerhawk suggests, do something at a Minnie game--show those guys what tradition really is.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                As long as they're ready for a spike in waterbottle sales.

And as Badgerhawk suggests, do something at a Minnie game--show those guys what tradition really is.

You really should fish somewhere else...

Comment

Working...
                                X