Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

agreed Chuck. For Eaves it's all benefits, I mean there are going to be tons of 12, 13, 14 year-old hockey players watching this on tv, it makes an impression that won't be forgotten really. and that comes back later in the recruiting game.

for me personally, I'm going to go to the Solider Field game cause they're playing the rats and I'd love nothing more than to see UW curb stomp those filthy rodents in front of 50-60,000 people. any other situation though and I probably wouldn't go as I've already seen two outdoor games so the novelty has worn off.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      agreed Chuck. For Eaves it's all benefits, I mean there are going to be tons of 12, 13, 14 year-old hockey players watching this on tv, it makes an impression that won't be forgotten really. and that comes back later in the recruiting game.

for me personally, I'm going to go to the Solider Field game cause they're playing the rats and I'd love nothing more than to see UW curb stomp those filthy rodents in front of 50-60,000 people. any other situation though and I probably wouldn't go as I've already seen two outdoor games so the novelty has worn off.
      I think you hit the nail on the head, there will be a large UW crowd because they are playing the gophers. Getting a doubleheader with good teams helps too. I had a friend who was a grad student at Notre Dame, and Notre Dame gave up a home game against Michigan to play a game at the Palace at Auburn Hills outisde of Detriot. We went up there, and the opening game was Niagara vs Wayne State. In Wayne State's last year of NCAA hockey. Not quite the same as Notre Dame vs Miami (OH). Fans will definitely get their moneys worth at Soldiers Field as all four teams could be in the NCAA tourney a month later.

Hopefully global warming doesn't ruin the ice in February...
      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
      Originally posted by UWisco
      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Gophers vs Badgers. 60,000+ people. National spotlight. What's not to like?

Chuck nailed it. I'll be there, and got the first round
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Ya know...for UW and ND its starting to make some sense. Its about the recruiting. Putting aside the state of WI for a mn, the Chicago area is the second biggest well (after MN) for UW...and probably the biggest for ND. If those schools make any inroads into the market, it will be worthwhile.

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

Do folks really think it will draw more than a typical UW Kohl game?
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            FWIW, if you're going to blame (I guess that's the word) anyone for Wisconsin playing outdoor games, it's Eaves. Pretty simple to read between the lines on his quotes over the years to see that he's the one who is pushing for UW to pursue and accept these types of opportunities. Although on this one someone already pointed out that there is an outside company who is putting this together. Eaves has said that UW would like to play at least one every four seasons, and he uses it recruiting (& it works--Think: Rumpel, Kerdiles).

All in all, I love it. I understand some of the season ticket holders that might be upset, that's more than understandable. Overall though there are more than enough benefits for UW to play in a game like this. I'm looking forward to it, and will have fun with it. If you're not, that's your prerogative but don't feel the need to ruin it for the rest of us.
            I don't have a problem with UW playing in any outdoor the game, I take issue with giving up a home conference game to do it. That's what bother's me.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Ya know...for UW and ND its starting to make some sense. Its about the recruiting. Putting aside the state of WI for a mn, the Chicago area is the second biggest well (after MN) for UW...and probably the biggest for ND. If those schools make any inroads into the market, it will be worthwhile.

Do folks really think it will draw more than a typical UW Kohl game?
              I think it will draw very well. I know a ton of people from the cities that will be going. Probably because this is our first ever outdoor game and the novelty is still there. I wish this game was at TCF, but Soldier Field should be really cool.

I think this will be great exposure for the Gophers too. I see your point that we don't look out of state as much, but we are starting to more and more and being on the radar of top recruits in other regions is never a bad thing

Props to coach Eaves. Hopefully Lucia and the Gophers are taking notes.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

The Big Ten Network in their back yard have to love the game in Chicago.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                  I don't have a problem with UW playing in any outdoor the game, I take issue with giving up a home conference game to do it. That's what bother's me.
                  That's the only think making me okay with this. Still not a big fan of outdoor games. Anyone know if one ticket gets you into both games? That would certainly boost up the attendence numbers to announce.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    All in all, I love it. I understand some of the season ticket holders that might be upset, that's more than understandable. Overall though there are more than enough benefits for UW to play in a game like this. I'm looking forward to it, and will have fun with it. If you're not, that's your prerogative but don't feel the need to ruin it for the rest of us.
                    >
                    I think UW season ticket holders should get a good sized discount on the tickets. That would have 2 positive effects, increase the attendance overall and be an olive branch to them. UW attendance was down last year, I don't think UW wants losing a home game in the package to be the straw that breaks some season ticket holder's backs. The Chitown game is a short term + bump to the program and p/oing season ticket holders will have a long term - bump.

So what's the cost to park a car down there going to be?
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Last time I was at Soldier Field was 95 for a Dead show and it was $20. Gotta think it's quite a bit more by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        Last time I was at Soldier Field was 95 for a Dead show and it was $20. Gotta think it's quite a bit more by now.
                        Parking will probably cost more than the ticket!
                        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                        Originally posted by UWisco
                        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          I think UW season ticket holders should get a good sized discount on the tickets. That would have 2 positive effects, increase the attendance overall and be an olive branch to them. UW attendance was down last year, I don't think UW wants losing a home game in the package to be the straw that breaks some season ticket holder's backs. The Chitown game is a short term + bump to the program and p/oing season ticket holders will have a long term - bump.

park in a neighborhood that does not require a sticker. wickerpark comes to mind. then take the blue line to clark and lake, transfer to green line get off at roosevelt and you're 1/2 mile away from soldier field. free parking $4-5 cta ticket, bam!
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

They may not let you in with the paint thinner, too flamable.
                            If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              The Big Ten Network in their back yard have to love the game in Chicago.
                              Good call. Interesting timing. I heard this is the last regular game between these two before the Big Ten. Kind of closure and a kick off all in one...in the largest and arguably most centralized Big Ten city.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                Yo! Man, I saw Jerry over the mountain! Over there!
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X