PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Gurtholfin
08-29-2012, 04:39 PM
WAY too much money for this in a city that couldn't care less about it.

Almington
08-29-2012, 04:51 PM
I wonder how much the lack of success over the last few years is contributing to the overall lack of excitement/willingness to pay the ticket prices for this event.

Regardless of the ticket price, I had no desire to deal with going to Chicago for this event.

Gurtholfin
08-29-2012, 05:00 PM
I wonder how much the lack of success over the last few years is contributing to the overall lack of excitement/willingness to pay the ticket prices for this event.

Regardless of the ticket price, I had no desire to deal with going to Chicago for this event.

Nor I. Free tickets wouldn't get me there.

I hope I'm in the minority coz it's kinda depressing to see a big venue during an event like this half full.

I just don't think that the ticket prices will attract much of a local crowd at all.

markwojo
08-30-2012, 05:44 AM
puff puff pass. Someone is smoking something if they think demand for this event will result in even a decent sized crowd at those prices. Although the other 3 schools haven't been involved in recent outdoor games (at least not that I remember) and there may be some novelty in the concept for their fanbases, Minneapolis is a long way away from Chicago and I'm not sure the other two schools have a large enough fan base to fill that many seats. Hell, Notre Dame has not managed a sizeable contingent for Frozen Fours they have been in. At $75, you will struggle to find casual hockey fans willing to go and I am not sure there are enough rabid hockey fans of the schools willing to pay that kind of cost.

What would this run a family of 4 to go to? Between tickets, parking, tolls, gas, & food I've got it at easily over $500 before you even get to the idea of an adult soda or two. I'm predicting a poor turnout at these prices.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
08-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Camp Randall game was too expensive to draw a full crowd at $35/ticket (right, that's what that one was, wasn't it?).

I get that Soldier Field is a smaller venue, and it is a doubleheader, but we will not be filling that thing in for twice the ticket price where our fans have to travel to Baja Wisconsin when we couldn't even do it in our own backyard. Not even close.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
08-30-2012, 09:13 AM
I wonder how much the lack of success over the last few years is contributing to the overall lack of excitement/willingness to pay the ticket prices for this event.Who knows... I'd like to think that it's mostly driven by lack of success. I genuinely hope it doesn't go much deeper than that, but I've been really pessimistic about the profile that UW Hockey has in Madison for the past five years or so. Maybe I'm just a sad, bitter person, maybe I'm realistic when I think that way, maybe I hold too high of an expectation for the way people should view the program (probably all three) but it is what it is.

Chuck Schwartz
08-30-2012, 09:42 AM
I think someone screwed the pooch on the pricing of these tickets. I just hope they don't embarrass the programs involved.

Gurtholfin
08-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Who knows... I'd like to think that it's mostly driven by lack of success. I genuinely hope it doesn't go much deeper than that, but I've been really pessimistic about the profile that UW Hockey has in Madison for the past five years or so. Maybe I'm just a sad, bitter person, maybe I'm realistic when I think that way, maybe I hold too high of an expectation for the way people should view the program (probably all three) but it is what it is.

I can only speak for myself, but I did it once and while I enjoyed it, once was enough. If I never go to another outdoor game, I'll be fine.

To think that people will want to experience that over and over with ever increasing cost seems far-fetched to me.

The Badgers could be coming off a Natty and be #1 and I still wouldn't shell out hundreds of dollars for a crappy view while shivering in my crappy seat.

Almington
08-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Camp Randall game was too expensive to draw a full crowd at $35/ticket (right, that's what that one was, wasn't it?).

I get that Soldier Field is a smaller venue, and it is a doubleheader, but we will not be filling that thing in for twice the ticket price where our fans have to travel to Baja Wisconsin when we couldn't even do it in our own backyard. Not even close.

Except that for an outdoor game, all a doubleheader means is that you spend three times as much on coffee/hot chocolate trying to avoid getting four times the frostbite and hypothermia.

Almington
08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Who knows... I'd like to think that it's mostly driven by lack of success. I genuinely hope it doesn't go much deeper than that, but I've been really pessimistic about the profile that UW Hockey has in Madison for the past five years or so. Maybe I'm just a sad, bitter person, maybe I'm realistic when I think that way, maybe I hold too high of an expectation for the way people should view the program (probably all three) but it is what it is.

from my perspective, the community (particularly the media) tends to feed off of how the athletic department as a whole (and the AD in particular) feels about the program. I don't think that it's incorrect to say that their isn't much positive direction (at least with actual conviction) from those offices about any program that isn't Football or Men's Basketball. The community feeds of what they get from the media, and the media takes their direction from the AD's office. Given or AD it shouldn't surprise anyone that the profile of UW hockey has fallen significantly in the years that he has had that position.

To be fair, the rollercoaster of success that the men's team has been on over Eaves tenure can not have helped matters at all. Had to get excited for the season when you have no real idea how good (or bad) the team will play. Maybe playing in an outdoor game is a good oman for this season: the last two times that UW has played in an outdoor game those season they made the NCAA championship game.

Timothy A
08-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Bad economy+high price+UW inconsistancy= low UW attendance. The only hope is that UW grads in Chicagoland will step up because I doubt more than a couple thousand season ticket holders will pony up the extra cash to see a game they should be seeing in Madison at a decent price. How any more than a couple hundred students afford to go?

Chuck Schwartz
08-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Here's some more good news regarding the game. The Big Ten just released their basketball schedule. Wisconsin hosts Ohio State the exact same day at the Kohl Center.

Good thing they are charging $65+ for tickets to the hockey game though. I'm sure the casual UW sports fan will make the trip now.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
08-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Here's some more good news regarding the game. The Big Ten just released their basketball schedule. Wisconsin hosts Ohio State the exact same day at the Kohl Center.Well isn't that just a funny little <strike>oversight that the AD won't worry themselves over</strike> coincidence?

Gandalf the Red
08-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Here's some more good news regarding the game. The Big Ten just released their basketball schedule. Wisconsin hosts Ohio State the exact same day at the Kohl Center.

Good thing they are charging $65+ for tickets to the hockey game though. I'm sure the casual UW sports fan will make the trip now.

WOW!

I plan to go, but I'm going to wait, and when they are forced to lower ticket prices or offer package deals (buy 4 tickets for $120 or something) I'll buy in then. I think getting a good seat late is not looking like a problem.

Almington
08-30-2012, 02:08 PM

That's the institutional support that we have come to expect for the Hockey Team! [/sarcasm]

ScoobyDoo
08-30-2012, 02:09 PM

That's hilarious. Only Wisconsin would do such a thing.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
08-30-2012, 02:40 PM

The UW Athletic Department doesn't deserve it's own hockey fans.

I'm sure that it's all payback from Barry for the UW hockey community not "stepping up" enough for his tastes when it came to funding La Bahn. Remember that? Right before he went to te regents to ask for money for improvements to the football practice facilities?

Gurtholfin
08-30-2012, 03:31 PM

I'm sure that it's all payback from Barry for the UW hockey community not "stepping up" enough for his tastes when it came to funding La Bahn. Remember that? Right before he went to te regents to ask for money for improvements to the football practice facilities?

Seems plausible...

Almington
08-30-2012, 03:33 PM

Considering the rate at which they are losing them, they won't in a few years.

Last year, for the first time since the KC was built, UW didn't lead the nation in total attendance (NoDak did) but still held the per game average attendance lead (UND had 2 additional home games). I don't see any way that UW doesn't fall to 3rd after this season behind both UMN and UND in both total attendance and per game attendance. The only reason that they likely don't fall beyond 3rd is that few other teams have the capacity to exceed about 8,500/game in their regular arena. Considering that UNO is playing an outdoor game at home, they might also be able to jump UW depending on how far UW falls.

I think that says all that needs to be said about how disillusioned the fan base is with the current athletic administration.

Chuck Schwartz
08-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Yeah, you're right. Wait...didn't you guys schedule a figure skating competition (http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2010/02/wisconsin-vs-minnesota-tickets-target.html) that bumped the UW/Minnesota game to the target center?