Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I've got $20 on our attendance woes continuing this year and maybe getting worse.

The once proud UW Hockey program will be bumped for circuses and College Jeopardy before you know it.
    Might be the year I can upgrade my seats more toward center ice and back up a little further.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      I speak for St. Cloud nation when I ask WHAT and WHERE the **** is the Colliseum?
      You're lucky to get that venue. It would be like going to a UND game at the old Ralph only with a longer history.

Comment

Do any of you guys know what the name of the arena wisconsin played at in the 20s and 30s? Right before they ended the program and then restarted it in the 60s?

I've been looking all over and all I can find is stuff on the "modern era". I'm working on a Michigan Hockey record book of series against B1G schools and I need the name of it.

Really would appreciate it.
        ---
        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        19 Conference Championships
        10 Conference Tournament Championships
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
          You're lucky to get that venue. It would be like going to a UND game at the old Ralph only with a longer history.
          This was pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            I've got $20 on our attendance woes continuing this year and maybe getting worse.

The once proud UW Hockey program will be bumped for circuses and College Jeopardy before you know it.
            It sure seems that way, doesn't it. I can understand Boys basketball, barely, but wrestling? UW sold out to the WIAA so that wrestling could bump UW Men's Hockey? All to save the precious state basketball tournaments staying in Madison? Is the LaBahn open, because I'm guessing it could fit the wrestling "crowd." I don't know a single person who goes to that who isn't a) a coach or b) family member of a kid who wrestles.

I could care less about the Penn State series, but having to play the final WCHA series of the year at that dump they call the Colessium is very disappointing. UW rarely seems to get a home series to end the regular season, then gets shelved to a worn out venue, when placement for the playoffs will surely be on the line. So if they get home ice, where will they play then, Hartmeyer? Get bumped due to a flea market to benefit blind penquins in Antartica?
            Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
            Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
            Originally posted by UWisco
            It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
              It sure seems that way, doesn't it. I can understand Boys basketball, barely, but wrestling? UW sold out to the WIAA so that wrestling could bump UW Men's Hockey?
              And I thought that UW wrestling was housed in the Field House. Why would high school need a better venue than our college athletes use?

The Field House seems more like wrestling too with it's history including boxing. Sight lines and proximity would be better than the KC also.

Oh well, it's only a few games and I look at this on such a long time horizon (years and years of season tix with many many more to come) that I can't get my a-s-s puckered too much.

Don't think I'll bother with the Coliseum series though. I was nostalgic to go there in 05-ish to see us play UAA in the first round until I got there and remembered what a crap-hole it is compared to the KC.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                Do any of you guys know what the name of the arena wisconsin played at in the 20s and 30s? Right before they ended the program and then restarted it in the 60s?

I've been looking all over and all I can find is stuff on the "modern era". I'm working on a Michigan Hockey record book of series against B1G schools and I need the name of it.

Really would appreciate it.
                After a quick search, according to this it was outdoor rinks primarily at Lake Mendota.

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c03286.html

1923 pictures...
                http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi...uerV10&isize=M

1924 teams...
                http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi...uerV11&isize=M
                Last edited by hockeykrazy; 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                  These are the concessions that the University had to make to keep the WIAA state tournaments in Madison. The series that will be played at the Coliseum is during the WIAA Boys Bball tournament. The Sunday/Monday series is during the Wrestling tournament.
                  Wrestling?!?!?!? OMGs. With the boy's HS bb, or any other event, can't UW tell the schedule makers about these dates way, like years, in advance, so they can avoid giving UW home games on these weekends? It just blows my mind they don't coordinate the schedules.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Listen, I'm as upset as most that there had to be schedule alterations for WIAA events at the Kohl Center, and I've vented these frustrations in the past in other venues. That said, the University had to make some concessions to keep these tournaments in Madison. Moving one hockey series to Sunday/Monday and one series to the Coliseum makes a hell of a lot more sense than losing millions of dollars in revenue in the Madison area for those that travel in annually for state tournaments as well as revenue that the University itself will lose.

As for the wrestling thing specifically, those dates have been locked in for a long time now. It's the hockey schedule makers fault for scheduling the Penn Sate series that weekend. They should have known that wrestling would be here that weekend. Also, it sure as hell looks like there is more than friends and family in the stands to me in this picture:

****************http://wqow.images.worldnow.com/images/17018962_BG1.jpg******

PS, I hate to be 'that guy' but do you think they will serve beer for that St. Cloud series? I've already been getting questions about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                      This was pretty funny.
                      Uh-oh, someone mentioned tradition/history and left out Minnesota! God forbid!
                      National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                      Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                      Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                      two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                      b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                        Uh-oh, someone mentioned tradition/history and left out Minnesota! God forbid!
                        Don't even think about starting that crap again in this thread. Last thing we need is you and him going at it in a thread neither one of you has a stake in.

Comment

Listen, I'm as upset as most that there had to be schedule alterations for WIAA events at the Kohl Center, and I've vented these frustrations in the past in other venues. That said, the University had to make some concessions to keep these tournaments in Madison. Moving one hockey series to Sunday/Monday and one series to the Coliseum makes a hell of a lot more sense than losing millions of dollars in revenue in the Madison area for those that travel in annually for state tournaments as well as revenue that the University itself will lose.

As for the wrestling thing specifically, those dates have been locked in for a long time now. It's the hockey schedule makers fault for scheduling the Penn Sate series that weekend. They should have known that wrestling would be here that weekend. Also, it sure as hell looks like there is more than friends and family in the stands to me in this picture:

PS, I hate to be 'that guy' but do you think they will serve beer for that St. Cloud series? I've already been getting questions about it.
                          Yes. The 3 times in the last decadeor so I have been there for UW Hockey they had the beer gardens. !!

Comment

Yeah the upper decks looked packed...

Also, I don't think Green Bay would say they are happy that THEY lost out on the millions of dollars that would have flowed into their city had they moved the BB tournys to GB. I'm not bringing that up to argue tradition or venues or other such ****, but Green Bay was a loser on this deal and lost out on a big economic boost. I'm sure there are many in GB (and elsewhere) who disagree about it making sense to keep all that in Madison, especially for THEIR economic gain. Badger fans lost because we get stuck w/ a sunday/monday series (though I agree on why schedule it that weekend?) and the trip to the Concrete Donut for the St Cloud series.
                            Last edited by Gandalf the Red; 05-24-2012, 03:50 PM.

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                              Yeah the upper decks looked packed...

Also, I don't think Green Bay would say they are happy that THEY lost out on the millions of dollars that would have flowed into their city had they moved the BB tournys to GB. I'm not bringing that up to argue tradition or venues or other such ****, but Green Bay was a loser on this deal and lost out on a big economic boost. I'm sure there are many in GB (and elsewhere) who disagree about it making sense to keep all that in Madison, especially for THEIR economic gain. Badger fans lost because we get stuck w/ a sunday/monday series (though I agree on why schedule it that weekend?) and the trip to the Concrete Donut for the St Cloud series.
                              I'm not even sure how to respond to this. My point was that tt was worth it to the University and the city of Madison to move a couple hockey series around to make the WIAA happy so they would keep their tournaments in town and thus keep millions of dollars in the Madison area as well as the money the University will make. That's all I'm saying.

No athletic department in their right mind is going to give up those state tournaments to take a hard line on those two series when there were other ways to make it work.

Do we have to like it? No. Does it make sense? Yes.

Comment

Got to see Eddie Wittchow play last night. He didn't do anything spectular, though he was a starter and did clang one off the cross bar in the 1st period. He does skate very well, and has one thing you can't teach: size. Needs more meat on his bones, but that will come soon enough. I think he is going to be another in a long line of great Badger defensemen, and I'm very excited to see what he does this Fall. Should be an immediate contributor to the team.

The Gamblers were just a better team last night (all season really). They had a laundry list of kids who will be playing in college next season. The Little brothers were sitting in the next section over, Sean was part of the ceremonial puck drop with other 2010 Clark Cup Champion teammnates who were back in attendence. He had the game winner in that Game 5. Ryan captained the Gamblers for two seasons before coming to Madison.

Comment

Working...
                                X