PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Gandalf the Red
07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Last time I was at Soldier Field was 95 for a Dead show and it was $20. Gotta think it's quite a bit more by now.

Parking will probably cost more than the ticket!

solovsfett
07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
I think UW season ticket holders should get a good sized discount on the tickets. That would have 2 positive effects, increase the attendance overall and be an olive branch to them. UW attendance was down last year, I don't think UW wants losing a home game in the package to be the straw that breaks some season ticket holder's backs. The Chitown game is a short term + bump to the program and p/oing season ticket holders will have a long term - bump.

So what's the cost to park a car down there going to be?

park in a neighborhood that does not require a sticker. wickerpark comes to mind. then take the blue line to clark and lake, transfer to green line get off at roosevelt and you're 1/2 mile away from soldier field. free parking $4-5 cta ticket, bam!

badgerhawk
07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Gophers vs Badgers. 60,000+ people. National spotlight. What's not to like?

Chuck nailed it. I'll be there, and got the first round :)

They may not let you in with the paint thinner, too flamable.

5mn_Major
07-13-2012, 11:13 PM
The Big Ten Network in their back yard have to love the game in Chicago.

Good call. Interesting timing. I heard this is the last regular game between these two before the Big Ten. Kind of closure and a kick off all in one...in the largest and arguably most centralized Big Ten city.

4four4
07-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Last time I was at Soldier Field was 95 for a Dead show and it was $20. Gotta think it's quite a bit more by now.

Yo! Man, I saw Jerry over the mountain! Over there!

Chuck Schwartz
07-17-2012, 12:58 AM
Jason Clark will not be returning (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/7/17/3164187/jason-clark-not-returning-for-junior-season#storyjump) for his junior season.

Gandalf the Red
07-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Jason Clark will not be returning (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/7/17/3164187/jason-clark-not-returning-for-junior-season#storyjump) for his junior season.

Did Clark's hip problems flare up again at the end of last season?

ExileOnDaytonStreet
07-17-2012, 09:25 AM
If he went to the Islanders' prospects camp, one would think that he's good enough to play. The question might be (a) how long can he wait for his pay day before an injury finally gets the best of him, and (b) where can he play where he actually stands a good chance at seeing lots of minutes on the ice?

Timothy A
07-17-2012, 12:34 PM

That's a bummer. I always had hoped for an offensively challenged team that Clark would be one of the solutions, but his health last year really put him behind the 8 ball. I can understand not wanting to ride the pine until your sr. year, like Podge and Goro did, which was what he was facing. Good luck to him and hopefully he'll add his name to the long list of alum playing in the nhl.

Chuck Schwartz
07-17-2012, 02:00 PM
University confirmed that Clark is gone.

milzie
07-17-2012, 02:19 PM
It looks like he signed with the Isles.

Chuck Schwartz
07-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Updated story with quotes from Clark and his agent Neil Sheehy. Deal with the Islanders isn't finalized but it will be soon. LINK (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/7/17/3165431/clark-leaving-to-sign-with-islanders)

Edit: Islanders confirm deal

Gandalf the Red
07-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Congrats to Jason. I was very excited about him coming in as a freshman, but he just had a lot of setbacks. I think a fresh start will be good for him.

As Chuck mentioned earlier about 14 forwards, I would like to see the Badgers bring in one more player for depth. Maybe a good WI kid who is under the radar who if he doesn't play could redshirt in the end and still have 4 years, but be there if the injury bug hits hard. I'm not sure if a player like that exists, since I don't follow HS hockey enough, just a thought.

Whoever would come in won't play unless 4 guys are out, but that has happened before.

Chuck Schwartz
07-17-2012, 04:38 PM
As Chuck mentioned earlier about 14 forwards, I would like to see the Badgers bring in one more player for depth. Maybe a good WI kid who is under the radar who if he doesn't play could redshirt in the end and still have 4 years, but be there if the injury bug hits hard. I'm not sure if a player like that exists, since I don't follow HS hockey enough, just a thought.

Whoever would come in won't play unless 4 guys are out, but that has happened before.

Eaves told Baggot he doesn't plan to bring in anyone else. I'm guessing that means Hartzog will be the 15th forward if necessary.

Kerdiles-Zengerle-Barnes
LaBate-Lee-Mersch
Zulinick-Woods-Navin/Paape
R. Little-Dahl-Meuer
Navin/Paape-Hartzog-S. Little

McCabe-Simonelli
Wittchow-Ramage
Drake-Faust
Schulze-

?

DPlaya
07-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Doesn't sound like they are going to bring in another forward, but there are only a few Wisconsin forwards who are not committed and played in the USHL. Todd Koritzinsky, Alexander Dahl and I believe Noah Nelson may be the only Wisconsin forwards that played in the USHL last season and are not committed. Evan Janssen played in the NAHL last season and was drafted into the USHL this season, so he might be a potential option.

Nobody's mentioned it, but they coul also bring in Tim Davison and move Hartzog to forwards and have 15 forwards and 8 defensemen (doesn't sound like they will though).

Timothy A
07-18-2012, 12:28 PM
So what happens to the scholarship $ that Clark had coming his way?

Chuck Schwartz
07-18-2012, 01:51 PM

Scholarship money isn't too hard to push around. A lot of times in this situation a coach will reward a player who isn't getting much (or any) scholarship money. I could definitely see Eaves spreading Clark's money from this year around to guys like Keegan Meuer who has worked his tail off and is playing (likely) above what he's getting for $.

Also, I don't know what $ the incoming guys are getting but you can probably assume full's for Zulinick & Kerdiles, and I'd guess 3/4 for Wittchow and 1/2 for Schulze.

Departing money was probably Schultz (full), Daly 1/2?, Lapic 1/2?, Clark (full?), Springer 1/4 or 1/2?, Thompson none.

Rough estimates for freshmen=3 1/4
Rough estimates for departures=3 1/4

Somewhere in the end it all equals out.

Almington
07-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Scholarship money isn't too hard to push around. A lot of times in this situation a coach will reward a player who isn't getting much (or any) scholarship money. I could definitely see Eaves spreading Clark's money from this year around to guys like Keegan Meuer who has worked his tail off and is playing (likely) above what he's getting for $.

Also, I don't know what $ the incoming guys are getting but you can probably assume full's for Zulinick & Kerdiles, and I'd guess 3/4 for Wittchow and 1/2 for Schulze.

Departing money was probably Schultz (full), Daly 1/2?, Lapic 1/2?, Clark (full?), Springer 1/4 or 1/2?, Thompson none.

Rough estimates for freshmen=3 1/4
Rough estimates for departures=3 1/4

Somewhere in the end it all equals out.

It's also better to give a player a larger cut based on performance/value/effort than it is to try and cut what a player has been promised. I doubt that many of the WI or MN players (unless they are highly recruited) get much more than a 1/4 scholarship promise. Players who would have to pay the full out of state tuition get a larger percentage because they have the higher tuition levels that need to be covered.

d3hockey57
07-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Is it possible to repackage the $ that easily?

Almington
07-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Is it possible to repackage the $ that easily?

Since the school year/season has not started it isn't an issue at all.