PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

burd
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
The WCHA is not what it once was and the unbalanced scheduling where we might not have North Dakota or Denver in Madison every year was a downer.

As stated by another, I want to see DU, UMD & UND. The rest of the WCHA has the same appeal to me as RIT does.

Gurt, we will come, Gurt. We will come for reasons we can't even fathom, other than to kick Badger arse. We will bring our wagons down I94 not knowing for sure why we are doing it. We will pass over admission money without even thinking about it, as it is oil money we have and rivalries we lack. The memories will be so thick, we will have to brush them away from our faces, like water from a bottle. The one constant through the years, Gurt, has been Badger/Sioux hockey. Conferences may come and go, but this rivalry has marked the time. The ice, the game, it's part of our past. We will still come, Gurt, we will most definitely still come. And we will win.

Gurtholfin
03-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Gurt, we will come, Gurt. We will come for reasons we can't even fathom, other than to kick Badger arse. We will bring our wagons down I94 not knowing for sure why we are doing it. We will pass over admission money without even thinking about it, as it is oil money we have and rivalries we lack. The memories will be so thick, we will have to brush them away from our faces, like water from a bottle. The one constant through the years, Gurt, has been Badger/Sioux hockey. Conferences may come and go, but this rivalry has marked the time. The ice, the game, it's part of our past. We will still come, Gurt, we will most definitely still come. And we will win.

:D

As long as you don't get waylaid by hostiles or snowed in at the pass near Fergus Falls.

cross cheque
03-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I agree 100%.

Not sure if that helps your cause or not... :p:D

The WCHA is not what it once was and the unbalanced scheduling where we might not have North Dakota or Denver in Madison every year was a downer.

As stated by another, I want to see DU, UMD & UND. The rest of the WCHA has the same appeal to me as RIT does.

I also believe that in a 6 team conference, EVERY game will have added weight coz if you're playing Minnesota this week, you better take it seriously coz you don't get BSU & Tech in the following few weeks where you can make up ground. You're gonna have Michigan the week after that and then maybe MSU.

The rivalries should heat up exponentially.

It's going to be interesting to see which league (BTHC or NCHC) has a higher following. My immediate thought is with the big ten network NCHC won't have a chance but if NBC get's games like DU/UND, DU/CC, UND/UNO outdoor game and has the same great coverage of the games they had this year the two leagues might come out even.

Gurtholfin
03-08-2012, 01:10 PM
It's going to be interesting to see which league (BTHC or NCHC) has a higher following. My immediate thought is with the big ten network NCHC won't have a chance but if NBC get's games like DU/UND, DU/CC, UND/UNO outdoor game and has the same great coverage of the games they had this year the two leagues might come out even.

I think that the upper-echelon of your league will do fine.

I think a game between SCSU and UNO will be a tough sell as most outside of a college hockey audience has ever heard of those two schools. Compare that to DU and UND whom I'm guessing would be somewhat familiar to NHL fans due to their success and the players that they've turned out.

The thing is that even the BTHC potential "bottom dwellers" Penn State and Ohio State (not saying that they will be) are VERY high profile as institutions throughout this country. Every casual sports fan has heard of them and even if they don't know hockey, they know PSU and OSU.

I just can't see the NCHC competing top to bottom on the national (limited college hockey) media stage even though you and Denver should remain high profile. Hope I'm wrong as I want your games on TV and want them to remain there beyond a trial (and failure) period after which they decide that Cribbage or Motocross is a better thing to air.

Chuck Schwartz
03-08-2012, 01:18 PM

There will be zero NCHC games on NBC. NCHC has an exclusive agreement with CBSSN.

cross cheque
03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
There will be zero NCHC games on NBC. NCHC has an exclusive agreement with CBSSN.

Oh yes thank you, in that case I would give the BTHC the nod. The only thing that is going to **** me off will be getting amped up to see a big ten matchup and then finding out its been bumped by women's basketball.

Gandalf the Red
03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh yes thank you, in that case I would give the BTHC the nod. The only thing that is going to **** me off will be getting amped up to see a big ten matchup and then finding out its been bumped by women's basketball.

Or a press conference for a disgraced basketball coach who is resigning.

cross cheque
03-08-2012, 03:18 PM

Exactly.

Almington
03-08-2012, 03:26 PM

OT lacrosse games are also a very real threat.

Gurtholfin
03-08-2012, 03:34 PM

I still remember that. Game would not end.

And why do they get a timeout in every overtime? And why do they take the timeout in every overtime?

My kid plays lacrosse. I like lacrosse, but c'mon...

burd
03-08-2012, 05:58 PM
:D

As long as you don't get waylaid by hostiles or snowed in at the pass near Fergus Falls.

There are no hostiles in Minnesota, only pantywaists. It is true, though, that we Nodaks experience some fear getting over the high country we have to pass through to get to Madtown. But hey, you Badger fans have those neanderthal looks and simplemindedness to overcome, so we take inspiration from that.

solovsfett
03-09-2012, 10:55 PM
HOLY CHIT!

great win tonight. get to St. Paul and anything can happen. whatever has focused this team in the last 3 weeks or so I hope it continues for another month.

aside - anyone else watching the MSHSL games? great games. incredible skaters all over the place. I wish UW had gone after Jake Randolph very solid player. Duluth East must be sick (I thought they were the best team last year, and definitely this year)...but now we get to watch UW recruit Grant Besse play for the championship tomorrow evening. and hopefully win it for J

Chuck Schwartz
03-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Wisconsin has won four of five on the road, and five of their past six games overall. That's all I have to say right now.

huskyfan
03-09-2012, 11:48 PM

for the win. wasn't that the worst?

Happy
03-10-2012, 07:39 AM
There are no hostiles in Minnesota, only pantywaists. It is true, though, that we Nodaks experience some fear getting over the high country we have to pass through to get to Madtown. But hey, you Badger fans have those neanderthal looks and simplemindedness to overcome, so we take inspiration from that.

I have seen Nodaks stop and stare for hours when they see an oak tree for the first time. they can become catatonic when they finally see the forest.

wjefwhite
03-10-2012, 09:07 AM
I have seen Nodaks stop and stare for hours when they see an oak tree for the first time. they can become catatonic when they finally see the forest.

Go home Happy. Watched your boys last night. Really bad. Could not put UAA away.

You don't have to leave town to get to Frozen 4. Let me be the first to say no trip to Tampa for Minny. Choke Choke Choke.

Badger Booster
03-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Nothing like having a hot goalie going into the playoffs. Hopefully, they can take care of business tonight and keep the dream alive in St. Paul next weekend.

On another quick note, Wisconsin women play tonight at Kohl Center against Mercyhurst in a NCAA quarterfinal. Tickets are relatively cheap ($10 adult/$5 youth, senior, student) and they can use as much of a home-ice advantage as possible.

Gurtholfin
03-10-2012, 11:32 AM
On another quick note, Wisconsin women play tonight at Kohl Center against Mercyhurst in a NCAA quarterfinal. Tickets are relatively cheap ($10 adult/$5 youth, senior, student) and they can use as much of a home-ice advantage as possible.

I will be there!

IronRangeHockey
03-10-2012, 11:43 AM
HOLY CHIT!

great win tonight. get to St. Paul and anything can happen. whatever has focused this team in the last 3 weeks or so I hope it continues for another month.

aside - anyone else watching the MSHSL games? great games. incredible skaters all over the place. I wish UW had gone after Jake Randolph very solid player. Duluth East must be sick (I thought they were the best team last year, and definitely this year)...but now we get to watch UW recruit Grant Besse play for the championship tomorrow evening. and hopefully win it for J

Fantastic tournament.. Game of the week was Edina-BSM. Alot of talent on the ice. Expecting over 150,000 in attendance this year, it was mammoth in the 70's and it just gets bigger and bigger every year. Favorite time of the year for me.

wjefwhite
03-10-2012, 11:48 AM
I will be there!

For those who cannot go tonight. The Wisconsin Chanel has the Women's game, local Madison Digital feed available over the air. I will till try to go.