PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Almington
05-02-2012, 02:56 PM
I happened over on to Lowetide's blog today and in the comments of a post there was a lot of talk (aka hope) of Justin Schutlz signing with Edmonton. He is going to be a big prize this summer for one team, and apparently that won't be the Ducks.

The Oilers need a great defenseman, if they could land Schultz as a free agent loophole signee, and then get a stud in the draft, they might make the playoffs again in our lifetimes.

Every single NHL team would like to sign Schutlz: He is both good and will be crazy cheep for the first 3 years under his entry level contract. Plus the team will have control for another 3 (?) years as a RFA (if RFA stays under the new CBA) even if they have to pay him under one year contracts if they can't sign him to a 5+ year contract.

From what I have read, unless Edm can trade down they will most likely end up with Nail Yakupov as all of the D are a streach as a #1 overall pick. Far better to pick Yakupov and package some young forward talent for an established D vet still in his prime.

Chuck Schwartz
05-02-2012, 02:59 PM
John Ramage has confirmed that he's returning for his senior season.

Almington
05-02-2012, 03:07 PM
John Ramage has confirmed that he's returning for his senior season.

This is a good thing right? :p ;) :D

Chuck Schwartz
05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
This is a good thing right? :p ;) :D

Hah, yes...very good thing for Wisconsin.

Almington
05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Hah, yes...very good thing for Wisconsin.

Just checking. After last season...

Gandalf the Red
05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Just checking. After last season...

He just needs to forget last season, and play like his frosh and soph years and he'll be fine. His amount of experience reassures me as a fan on a young blue line.

Chuck Schwartz
05-02-2012, 04:23 PM
He just needs to forget last season, and play like his frosh and soph years and he'll be fine. His amount of experience reassures me as a fan on a young blue line.

He played well in the second half as well. He just had a tough couple months.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
05-02-2012, 04:23 PM
John Ramage has confirmed that he's returning for his senior season.http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5zYExoKVbA8/SwW1LZuElJI/AAAAAAAAAIM/MN6LgEc-VVc/s1600/The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excel.jpg

Gurtholfin
05-02-2012, 04:34 PM

I agree. I believe he'll have a bounce back season.

Glad he'll be back.

UWisco
05-02-2012, 08:49 PM
http://m.host.madison.com/mobile/article_98805646-94a5-11e1-b98c-001a4bcf887a.html

Link to article on madison.com about naming LaBahn Ice Sheet.
FYI this is a mobile link.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
05-03-2012, 07:59 AM
The La Bahn Arena, which is scheduled to be completed in October, will be the competition and practice facility for the four-time NCAA champion Badgers women's program, and the practice facility for the men.

The arena, which will seat 2,200 fans, also features locker rooms for both hockey programs, as well as men's and women's swimming, and an athletic training room. It will be connected to the Kohl Center via a tunnel.Wait... I thought it was going to seat more than that.

markwojo
05-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I'll believe Ramage when he is on the ice in Madison in September. Craig Smith said multiple times last Spring and even Summer that he would be back...yet he wasn't. While it is certainly better news to have him say he is staying at this point then to have an announcement of a contract being signed, again I'll believe it when I see it in the Fall. Calgary has lots of offseason moves yet to be made. Yes, I would much prefer Ramage stay as otherwise we are very young on the blueline and someone that is very wet behind the ears will need to play the major minutes he will otherwise absorb if he is here.

Timothy A
05-03-2012, 12:34 PM
I'll believe Ramage when he is on the ice in Madison in September. Craig Smith said multiple times last Spring and even Summer that he would be back...yet he wasn't. While it is certainly better news to have him say he is staying at this point then to have an announcement of a contract being signed, again I'll believe it when I see it in the Fall. Calgary has lots of offseason moves yet to be made. Yes, I would much prefer Ramage stay as otherwise we are very young on the blueline and someone that is very wet behind the ears will need to play the major minutes he will otherwise absorb if he is here.

I agree. Let's see whose in Madison in September. I do hope he comes back and has an awesome Sr. season.

Chuck Schwartz
05-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Except there's a significant difference, Craig Smith was basically told if he has a good training camp he's got a good shot at making the NHL club. Ramage well, doesn't.

Chuck Schwartz
05-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Congrats to Johnny Mitchell who signed a 2 year-2 way NHL contract with the Anaheim Ducks. Mitchell's contract will be for an average of $530k if he's in the NHL, and $55k in the AHL. He'll also get a 1 time $10k signing bonus. Mitchell has spent the past two seasons after a solid four year career at Wisconsin with the Duck's top farm club, the Syracuse Crunch.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
05-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Way to go, Big John Mitchell!

solovsfett
05-03-2012, 05:59 PM
awesome news for JM, good luck to him. man did he come a long way in his career for UW

Timothy A
05-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Alright, we already have Billy Butters on the staff, why not add Cary Eades? Seriously, is he not a serious upgrade from Schuchuck, no offense Schuey, facts are facts. Look at experience alone, 30 vs 2 , then add in Eades' recruiting ties. Plus his anti UW history surely rivals Butters'. It would be awesome.

McD has just been a stud with the Ranger's this postseason. At the end of every game, he's on the ice. It's super cool seeing a former UW guy having that prominent a role, being THE guy, like Suter is and Rafalski was.

Great news for Mitchell.

Badgers1
05-04-2012, 01:49 PM
McDonagh logged over 53 minutes of icetime in the triple overtime game. Most of any player in a game since 2008. He's already turned into a lock for the Olympic team to join Suter on defense.

http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/adam_mertz/uw-men-s-hockey-mcdonagh-s-ironman-playoff-effort-vaults/article_bdbd725a-95f8-11e1-a0f3-001a4bcf887a.html

solovsfett
05-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Alright, we already have Billy Butters on the staff, why not add Cary Eades? Seriously, is he not a serious upgrade from Schuchuck, no offense Schuey, facts are facts. Look at experience alone, 30 vs 2 , then add in Eades' recruiting ties. Plus his anti UW history surely rivals Butters'. It would be awesome.

McD has just been a stud with the Ranger's this postseason. At the end of every game, he's on the ice. It's super cool seeing a former UW guy having that prominent a role, being THE guy, like Suter is and Rafalski was.

Great news for Mitchell.

really tough to say re: Shuchuk. the recruiting seems to be doing "ok" for the future w/besse as the most recent but I don't know how many of the others on heisenberg's site can be attributed to GS

does Gary have coaching responsibilities at all? it would seem unlikely given he's on recruiting trips so frequently

re: Eades...if he ever wound up in madison I'd have to have a water bottle on a stick!