Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Zach Parise ring a bell?
    Close, but not quite. Again...Wisconsin NHL 1st round talent leaving the state much less ending up in Rodentiapolis is a Haley's comet type event. High end Minnesota talent regularly ends up In Grand Forks, Madison, and other destinations, so seeing a kid leave is not particularly shocking. Parise is not Kessel. While I would take Parise over Kessel for my team any time you gave me the choice, Parise was a notch down on the hype scale for a prospect going into deciding what school they were going to. Kessel was at times projected 1st overall in his draft class, and even with a slide went #5 as opposed to #17. Parise is closer to Ryan McDonagh #12 overall or Jake Gardiner #17 overall then Kessel. All that said, I seem to recall lots of rodent panties in a bundle because of Parise's choice of school...so yes a bit of similarity.

Comment

• Originally posted by markwojo View Post
      Close, but not quite. Again...Wisconsin NHL 1st round talent leaving the state much less ending up in Rodentiapolis is a Haley's comet type event. High end Minnesota talent regularly ends up In Grand Forks, Madison, and other destinations, so seeing a kid leave is not particularly shocking. Parise is not Kessel. While I would take Parise over Kessel for my team any time you gave me the choice, Parise was a notch down on the hype scale for a prospect going into deciding what school they were going to. Kessel was at times projected 1st overall in his draft class, and even with a slide went #5 as opposed to #17. Parise is closer to Ryan McDonagh #12 overall or Jake Gardiner #17 overall then Kessel. All that said, I seem to recall lots of rodent panties in a bundle because of Parise's choice of school...so yes a bit of similarity.
      I disagree whole-heartedly that Kessel was hyped more than Parise. Maybe in Wisconsin, but not elsewhere.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        I disagree whole-heartedly that Kessel was hyped more than Parise. Maybe in Wisconsin, but not elsewhere.
        Well that's kind of the point that he was viewed differently here.

Like he said: you guys produce Kessel-level talent frequently enough that it's nowhere near as big a deal when some of them go elsewhere.

Regardless of how they stack against each other, Kessel was more of a unique scenario for us than Parise was for you.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Well that's kind of the point that he was viewed differently here.

Like he said: you guys produce Kessel-level talent frequently enough that it's nowhere near as big a deal when some of them go elsewhere.

Regardless of how they stack against each other, Kessel was more of a unique scenario for us than Parise was for you.
          Got it. Sorry, I missed that point. Totally agree then.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            Then I'll whole-heartedly agree to disagree. Kessel was billed as a generational talent that comes with the territory of being in the conversation of the number one overall pick in your draft class. Yes Parise was well hyped, but more in the best forward going to college in a given recruiting year kind of way. Highly hyped but I'll stand by the notch bellow relative to Kessel.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
              Then I'll whole-heartedly agree to disagree. Kessel was billed as a generational talent that comes with the territory of being in the conversation of the number one overall pick in your draft class. Yes Parise was well hyped, but more in the best forward going to college in a given recruiting year kind of way. Highly hyped but I'll stand by the notch bellow relative to Kessel.
              Yeah, the Kessel hype was greater than it was surrounding Parise's commitment. Kessel dragged his decision out until March of the year he was going to go to school which added to the suspense. Additionally, USA hockey was driving the hype bus x1000. From what I can remember, Kessel is the only college hockey recruit to hold a press conference to announce his decision.

Comment

I wonder how that comparative hype analysis would turn out if you asked coeds . . .

Comment

Brian Elliott is better at goalie than all of us put together.

True story.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    Brian Elliott is better at goalie than all of us put together.

True story.
                    The Wings @ Blues, currently playing, has been a fantastic game. Blues with a shorty...hang on Els!!
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      The Wings @ Blues, currently playing, has been a fantastic game. Blues with a shorty...hang on Els!!
                      I hate to see it against Elliott...but my Wings needed that win.
                      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        Yeah, the Kessel hype was greater than it was surrounding Parise's commitment. Kessel dragged his decision out until March of the year he was going to go to school which added to the suspense. Additionally, USA hockey was driving the hype bus x1000. From what I can remember, Kessel is the only college hockey recruit to hold a press conference to announce his decision.
                        True, forgot about his press conference. I guess the Parise hype just seems like it was greater to me because of the disappointment I felt when he made his decision.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                          In the end...I would have enjoyed seeing the talent that is Phil Kessel play at home, but it made good theater adding to a storied rivalry having him as a rodent and the end result was the Badgers won a national title and Phil was a one and done.
                          A rich one and done.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            I wonder how that comparative hype analysis would turn out if you asked coeds . . .
                            I can't imagine it would turn out well for Kessel...he sort of looks like a chipmunk.

Comment

The Hobey this year...uhm...this is why it's sort of a joke of an award and most of these winners are forgotten in terms of NHL careers...the best players don't win them plain and simple.

Case in point: Healtey, Dany, Reinprecht, Steven, Schultz, Justin and that's just guys from 1 school who got robbed

ugh

go FERRIS!
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Who did you think it should have gone to?

Comment

Working...
                                X