PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

WisconsinWildcard
04-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Or something like that.

http://xkcd.com/493/

For shame ;)

Chuck Schwartz
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3659/baggotramage.jpg

solovsfett
04-13-2012, 04:00 PM
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3659/baggotramage.jpg

jeez...why would he tweet this?

Dear John,

thanks. STAY OUT OF THE GOALIE'S WAY!

honestly though...I didn't think he was a flight risk based solely on last year's performance which was largely inferior to his first 2 seasons

Chuck Schwartz
04-13-2012, 04:20 PM
jeez...why would he tweet this?

Why would he not tweet that?

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Why would he not tweet that?<strike>Because we're all starting to develop complexes about this program?</strike> I honestly don't know. Although I am sort of on board with the thought that he was a greater flight risk before last season than he is now. Wasn't his best year.

Chuck Schwartz
04-13-2012, 04:44 PM
<strike>Because we're all starting to develop complexes about this program?</strike> I honestly don't know. Although I am sort of on board with the thought that he was a greater flight risk before last season than he is now. Wasn't his best year.

But that doesn't matter. Kids leave all the time when they haven't had great seasons. Calgary just signed junior David Eddy out of St. Cloud...I bet half of the fans in the league don't know who David Eddy is. Beau Bennett played like 10 games as a sophomore for DU this year and he just signed with Pittsburgh today.

Ramage is still a risk to leave and obviously has an opportunity to go. Maybe I'm crazy (very likely), but to me it's news when the team captain is deciding between returning for his senior season or signing with Calgary and tells the local beat writer that it looks like he'll probably return.

Almington
04-13-2012, 04:46 PM
honestly though...I didn't think he was a flight risk based solely on last year's performance which was largely inferior to his first 2 seasons

Unless Calgary feels that his regression and lack of improvement is a result of him stagnating at UW and that he might be best served by moving on to the AHL and getting in their system.

NHL teams get concerned when they don't see steady improvement from draft picks when they don't have them under team control and may sign players not because they are NHL ready but that they want more control over the player's development. Drafted players are assets that need to be protected and that may result in signing them after a season of sub-par performance.

Edit: Speaking of Calgary, Troy Ward (remember him?) is currently the head coach of their AHL affiliate (the Abbotsford Heat) and has been mentioned as a possible candidate to take over as the HC of the Flames.

Chuck Schwartz
04-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Edit: Speaking of Calgary, Troy Ward (remember him?) is currently the head coach of their AHL affiliate (the Abbotsford Heat) and has been mentioned as a possible candidate to take over as the HC of the Flames.

Their assistant coach Luke Strand has plenty of Wisconsin ties as well. He played and coached at UW-Eau Claire and played pro for the Madison Monsters.

Almington
04-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Their assistant coach Luke Strand has plenty of Wisconsin ties as well. He played and coached at UW-Eau Claire and played pro for the Madison Monsters.

Just found it amusing that Ward seemed to be applying for a wide range of jobs (not only HC opportunities) every year while he was at UW and now he is on a short list to become a Head Coach in the NHL.

solovsfett
04-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Why would he not tweet that?

I suppose cause it wasn't a definite yes or no but more of a "maybe", not a solid answer. he can tweet what he wants but it just seems odd

solovsfett
04-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Unless Calgary feels that his regression and lack of improvement is a result of him stagnating at UW and that he might be best served by moving on to the AHL and getting in their system.

NHL teams get concerned when they don't see steady improvement from draft picks when they don't have them under team control and may sign players not because they are NHL ready but that they want more control over the player's development. Drafted players are assets that need to be protected and that may result in signing them after a season of sub-par performance.

true enough (NHL team worrying about a lack of steady improvement)...and if he did leave that would really put UW in a rough situation: Drake, Simonelli, Faust, Shulze, Witchow(sp?), McCabe...possibly move R. Little back?

Chuck Schwartz
04-13-2012, 09:19 PM
true enough (NHL team worrying about a lack of steady improvement)...and if he did leave that would really put UW in a rough situation: Drake, Simonelli, Faust, Shulze, Witchow(sp?), McCabe...possibly move R. Little back?

They would likely bring in a new recruit. Tim Davison is a possibility as well but they would really like him to play in the USHL next season. I think Little is more of an insurance policy in case there is an injury or two.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Just found it amusing that Ward seemed to be applying for a wide range of jobs (not only HC opportunities) every year while he was at UW and now he is on a short list to become a Head Coach in the NHL.Persistence pays off, I guess.

Gandalf the Red
04-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Does anyone know who is clustered with minnesota and UW this year for scheduling? Last year it was UND/SCSU, the year before MTU and UMD. I see that DU and CC are playing UND/SCSU next year (or it looked at way on the schedule thread). Was really hoping to get both of those home and away for the last go around. I'm guessing we get UNO/Mankato or BSU/UAA. Either way that sucks.

Almington
04-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know who is clustered with minnesota and UW this year for scheduling? Last year it was UND/SCSU, the year before MTU and UMD. I see that DU and CC are playing UND/SCSU next year (or it looked at way on the schedule thread). Was really hoping to get both of those home and away for the last go around. I'm guessing we get UNO/Mankato or BSU/UAA. Either way that sucks.

I believe that we get UAA/MSUM as a pair next year.

Chuck Schwartz
04-17-2012, 05:06 PM

This is correct.

Gandalf the Red
04-17-2012, 05:12 PM

Wow, what a fun way to end the WCHA...

The positive thing, they better feast off of those teams. I see no reason why both of them won't be bottom feeders, again, and UW needs to capitalize on that in the standings.

mnstate0fhockey
04-17-2012, 05:44 PM

The positive thing, they better feast off of those teams. I see no reason why both of them won't be bottom feeders, again, and UW needs to capitalize on that in the standings.

MSUM won't be a cake walk next year.

Chuck Schwartz
04-17-2012, 06:57 PM

Anchorage will probably suck again, but it wouldn't surprise me if the purple mavs finished anywhere from 5-8. All depends on goaltending with them but they are going to be much improved and have a solid recruiting class coming in.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-17-2012, 08:25 PM
I know that this is really about fan perceptions (which doesn't mean anything) and not about anything that happens in the rink (which means everything).

I know that last year was last year, a lot of us (myself included) are more down about the team than we should be and that we all should expect better this year.

All that in mind... don't we need to be out of the cellar before we start thinking about other teams as being bottom feeders for us as fans to take for granted?