Welcome to the dance, MSOE!
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: NCAA 1st Round - MSOE vs. Gustavus Adolphus

Bus legs could be an issue, but I believe that MSOE is less of an underdog than many probably think.

Comment

Maybe so, but I have the feeling that MSOE is going to learn the same lesson Adrian did two years ago, that NCAA tournament hockey is a completely different animal altogether.

From what I have seen, the key to stopping MSOE is the Keizer brothers. Both of them. I don't intend that to be a knock on the rest of the team. I just think those two are that good. Toomey is a very good goaltender, and the supporting cast is nice as well, but if you can stop Jordan and Josh, this team can (and will) be had.

I think it's a close game, but I think GAC takes this one 5-2 with an ENG late. The game will be much closer than the score will indicate.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

The lesson that Adrian learned in their first NCAA tournament was provided by St Norbert, and I believe they were the #1 seed in the west at the time. It was a baptism of fire. This match-up has very little in common.

This MSOE team compares very favourably with Gustavus.
        Team Offense: MSOE 4.24 Gustavus 3.11
        Team Defense: MSOE 2.14 Gustavus 2.30
        Power Play : MSOE 20.4 Gustavus 19.8
        Penalty Kill : MSOE 85.2 Gustavus 80.2
        Save %/GAA :Toomey .926/1.98 McLean .924/2.13

MSOE have played 5 NC games against MIAC teams......W3 L2
        Gustavus have played 10 games against same opponents W5 L3 T2

MSOE have faced elimination in overtime in their last three encounters, winning them all gaining a great deal of confidence in the process. If they don't get stage fright from their first appearance in the tournament, I like their chances to continue their roll.

The Raiders are under-rated.
        MSOE wins 4-2 in regulation.
        Last edited by NorthernLite; 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Home barn advantage in a close one.

Comment

I think this is also gonna be a good one and I won't be surprised of the outcome either way (unless it's a blowout.)

I've said it before, but I really like how MSOE has has success recruiting from the far lesser known (for a reason) western U.S. junior leagues like the WSHL and NORPAC. I wish them the best.

Comment

I see Gustavus taking this one 3-1, not much scoring taking place. McLean has played well in nets for Gustavus, and at 6'8" he takes up a lot of space. Ring-Jarvi is a gamer and will come through for Gustavus.

Comment

Well, I was right on a couple notes. The Keizer brothers were held off the scoresheet, and it cost MSOE, although they certainly had their chances. GAC had the empty netter. And that's about all I got right.

MSOE played fine. They have nothing to hang their head about.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by imafan View Post
                  I see Gustavus taking this one 3-1, not much scoring taking place. McLean has played well in nets for Gustavus, and at 6'8" he takes up a lot of space. Ring-Jarvi is a gamer and will come through for Gustavus.
                  Good call on all accounts.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Good call on all accounts.
                    I get lucky every once in a while. Both McLean and Ring-Jarvi had big nights. They will need to come up big again at Norberts if the Gusties look to advance.

Comment

Originally posted by imafan View Post
                      I get lucky every once in a while. Both McLean and Ring-Jarvi had big nights. They will need to come up big again at Norberts if the Gusties look to advance.
                      I thought McLean played very well. MSOE had some quality chances, but couldn't get the puck in the back of the net. He looks nothing short of massive in net. I thought both MSOE and Gustavus represented their respective leagues very well. Good win by the Gusties.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFC View Post
                        I thought McLean played very well. MSOE had some quality chances, but couldn't get the puck in the back of the net. He looks nothing short of massive in net. I thought both MSOE and Gustavus represented their respective leagues very well. Good win by the Gusties.
                        The net looks like something i used when I was 10yo playing street hockey, when he is standing next to it

Comment

Working...
                        X