Hockey East Quarterfinals: #6 UNH @ #3 BU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Quarterfinals: #6 UNH @ #3 BU

Can we request to play this series on the road?
    We play better that way.
    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
      I heard on the ME-UNH telecast today that UNH was an away team 14 years ago.
      16 years ago, first season of the Whittemore Center, last time UNH finished under .500 and went to Maine for the quarters and they had by far the longest stretch of home ice in the Hockey East quarters snapped this year...They have the 2nd longest active streak of years making the NCAA's behind Michigan, which will be snapped if they don't run the table in the HE tourney. (they're also, strangely, the only team to win an NCAA game the last 3 seasons.... only one game unfortunately)

Comment

I don't think it can be seen as an easy BU sweep mainly because of the play of BU at Agannis lately. They have been lights out on the road (with the exception of the NU game) and only so-so at home. I do, however, only think BU loses the series if DeSmith steals 2 games.
        Last edited by bottomdweller; 03-05-2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
          I'm assuming Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (if necessary).
          Correct, except that Saturday's game is at 4:00 p.m. because of the NESN telecast...

Comment

Wrong...NBC Friday Night Ice (or whatever they call it now) is featuring BC/UMass on their Friday telecast, which will be at 7:30. BU is on Saturday at 4:00 on NESN. Lowell starts Thursday night due to a scheduling conflict at Tsongas.

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
              The pressure is on BU, which has been inconsistent of late.
              Of LATE????????????

Comment

And which team has the greater burden to meet its expectations of success?
                But he just said, don't change the word to "expectations."

And I would reject the implication that the players expect to lose the series -- play hard, score some goals, see what happens.
                I don't think anybody said that...this is a FAN forum and we're talking about OUR perspective on the series...if the PLAYERS "expect" to lose, they shouldn't be playing...

Comment

the top 4 teams earn the right to play the bottom 4 teams, on their own home ice, with seeding preference given to the #1 team and on down. The system thus favors the home team, the higher seed.
                  Fun fact...BU's record at home: 8 -7
                  BU's record on the road/neutral: 13-5-1

Usually spring break as well (can someone confirm that?). Not much enthusiasm in the arena this year. If it IS an advantage, it's not much of one. Although I'm HOPING that because there is a, how shall I say this, "higher profile" opponent and because they will probably bring a LOT of fans, it will spur the BU fans on to greater heights (like maybe they will actually yell and/or cheer - not that I want to ask too much of them...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    I did hear that we might have gone Thursday/Friday/Sunday because of Women's Basketball. Are they hosting again?
                    No, they lost as well. The only team that won was Women's hockey, which, by the way, was a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Of LATE????????????
                      Then they're not inconsistent after all, are they?
                      We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                      ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                      --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

No, they lost as well. The only team that won was Women's hockey, which, by the way, was a great game.
                        Fun fact...BU's record at home: 8 -7
                        BU's record on the road/neutral: 13-5-1

Usually spring break as well (can someone confirm that?). Not much enthusiasm in the arena this year. If it IS an advantage, it's not much of one. Although I'm HOPING that because there is a, how shall I say this, "higher profile" opponent and because they will probably bring a LOT of fans, it will spur the BU fans on to greater heights (like maybe they will actually yell and/or cheer - not that I want to ask too much of them...
                        But he just said, don't change the word to "expectations."

I don't think anybody said that...this is a FAN forum and we're talking about OUR perspective on the series...if the PLAYERS "expect" to lose, they shouldn't be playing...
                        Of LATE????????????
                        Wrong...NBC Friday Night Ice (or whatever they call it now) is featuring BC/UMass on their Friday telecast, which will be at 7:30. BU is on Saturday at 4:00 on NESN. Lowell starts Thursday night due to a scheduling conflict at Tsongas.
                        Correct, except that Saturday's game is at 4:00 p.m. because of the NESN telecast...
                        the multi-quote button is your friend!

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                          ...And before anyone changes the word to expectations, if a team comes into a series expecting to lose, well...
                          /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ SEE ABOVE /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

...I don't think anybody said that...this is a FAN forum and we're talking about OUR perspective on the series...if the PLAYERS "expect" to lose, they shouldn't be playing...
                          But sure, I agree with your last sentence fragment, as indicated by my original comment. May the team that plays better win, and may the games provide extraordinary entertainment value (and I truly mean that in a non-snarky way.) It is an excellent match-up, and as much as I dreaded this possible series, I now embrace it. Over and out.
                          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Then they're not inconsistent after all, are they?
                            +1 Good one!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                              the multi-quote button is your friend!
                              But you're assuming I thought of all these replies at once! It's more like because I get to work at 6:00 that there are no other replies to get sandwiched in between mine yet!!

Comment

It is an excellent match-up, and as much as I dreaded this possible series, I now embrace it. Over and out.
                                Agreed...I personally think it will be an excellent series. It's more fun for me because my sister is a big UNH fan. And no offense to any of you fans of the more johnny come lately schools to join Hockey East, but I'm more of a traditionalist. I love series between the "original" teams. That's why the Bruins/Rangers game yesterday was so intriguing...I go WAY back (but we won't discuss age...)

Comment

Working...
                                X