Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Offseason 2012: In like a lion, out like a lamb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Offseason 2012: In like a lion, out like a lamb.

This last 2 or so months may be the first time following Buckeye hockey where I'm this speechless. I got nothing.

Re: Ohio State Offseason 2012: In like a lion, out like a lamb.

Biggest collapse in college hockey history. I really have never seen anything like this.
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk56 View Post
      This last 2 or so months may be the first time following Buckeye hockey where I'm this speechless. I got nothing.
      I feel the exact same way. A season that began with so much promise ended with a huge thud.

Comment

Curious what everyone thinks as far as potential early departures. I'm not really thinking anyone is on the way out, but then again I never thought my trip to Pittsburgh on 12/30 would be the last time I'd see this team win in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk56 View Post
          Curious what everyone thinks as far as potential early departures. I'm not really thinking anyone is on the way out, but then again I never thought my trip to Pittsburgh on 12/30 would be the last time I'd see this team win in person.
          I dont see anyone leaving this year for sure.

Comment

Looking towards next years schedule if the league follows suit with the rotating home and away the schedule should look like this

Home
            ND
            Western

Away
            Ferris
            Northern
            Alaska

Home and Away
            Michigan
            Michigan State
            Miami(at least this should be a H/H)

As for the 4th home and home i think it should be BG just because it would give ohio state, Miami and BG a 4 game series against each other in the last go around for this league. I left lake state out of the schedule because im not sure what they will do with them. IF BG is the 4th home and home then i think ohio state will travel up to Lake St. because 2 years ago they came down to columbus in the only meeting of the regular season.

Comment

Considering how the fans feel stung by this I'm sure it doesn't even come close to how the team feels. Whoever steps up to the plate to be the next leaders of this team will probably make this years off season conditioning and practice an effort that would challenge Hercules. SUCCESS COMES FROM ADVERSITY!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Considering how the fans feel stung by this I'm sure it doesn't even come close to how the team feels. Whoever steps up to the plate to be the next leaders of this team will probably make this years off season conditioning and practice an effort that would challenge Hercules. SUCCESS COMES FROM ADVERSITY!
                Couldn't agree more with the title of this thread or your assessment of the offseason. If this past season's second half meltdown doesn't motivate these guys to work their butts of in the offseason and make sure this doesn't happen again, nothing will. I sincerely hope the team actually feels more stung by this than us fans. If they don't it will be groundhog day next season with the same second half meltdown.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  Couldn't agree more with the title of this thread or your assessment of the offseason. If this past season's second half meltdown doesn't motivate these guys to work their butts of in the offseason and make sure this doesn't happen again, nothing will. I sincerely hope the team actually feels more stung by this than us fans. If they don't it will be groundhog day next season with the same second half meltdown.
                  The guys from what coach said had a good summer of hard work but two points to consider. One, 12 of them never played collegiately before, second, the coaches can't work with them until about 2 weeks prior to the first game so they had no time to learn the system direcly from Oz and get correction from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    The guys from what coach said had a good summer of hard work but two points to consider. One, 12 of them never played collegiately before, second, the coaches can't work with them until about 2 weeks prior to the first game so they had no time to learn the system direcly from Oz and get correction from him.
                    Guess we'll see what happens next season. We won't be able use the young team excuse next year with 24 of the 28 guys being sophomores, juniors, or seniors.

Comment

As frustrating (and agonizing) as the second half of the season was to watch, I don't think the average 'fan' posting on this board has a clue as to how close this team really was to duplicating the first half of the season, final result notwithstanding (they were a lot closer that most give them credit for). The coaching staff, who are not easily satisfied (just ask anyone who has played for or coached with Oz previously), never gave any indication that the team was folding, regressing, not putting forth adequate effort, lacked in leadership, or 'collapsed' as so many on here assert. They did not rise above adversity to the level they or the coaching staff hoped for or, perhaps, expected, but not for lack of effort, staying positive, working hard, and playing team hockey. It was not enough, which sucks, but it is what it is. The majority of this team were (and are still) kids. They will be better next year, the coaching staff will be better next year, there are new, talented recruits coming in next year. The doom and gloom and negativity is not warranted IMHO. Disappointment, sure, but come on, the Chicken Littles on here need to take a Valium or something.
                      Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Agreed on no excuses next season. Coach in his interviews prior to the break expressed surprise that they were ahead of the coaching staff's expectations on what they thought they had as team coming into this season but he was also cautious on not making any promises or predictions. He was always about the "One game at a time". It was clear he didn't get caught up in the fevor that many of us were experiencing. Building up a team takes time and you just can't let your hopes run away with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                          As frustrating (and agonizing) as the second half of the season was to watch, I don't think the average 'fan' posting on this board has a clue as to how close this team really was to duplicating the first half of the season, final result notwithstanding (they were a lot closer that most give them credit for). The coaching staff, who are not easily satisfied (just ask anyone who has played for or coached with Oz previously), never gave any indication that the team was folding, regressing, not putting forth adequate effort, lacked in leadership, or 'collapsed' as so many on here assert. They did not rise above adversity to the level they or the coaching staff hoped for or, perhaps, expected, but not for lack of effort, staying positive, working hard, and playing team hockey. It was not enough, which sucks, but it is what it is. The majority of this team were (and are still) kids. They will be better next year, the coaching staff will be better next year, there are new, talented recruits coming in next year. The doom and gloom and negativity is not warranted IMHO. Disappointment, sure, but come on, the Chicken Littles on here need to take a Valium or something.
                          Arpod, we are both obviously OSU Hockey fans, so we can just agree to disagree on this one. To me, 1-11-4 = collapse/meltdown/regression or however one wants to characterize it. I have used the term regression because there is no such thing as staying the same (stagnancy) in sports. A team either gets better or goes in the other direction, and clearly, OSU Hockey went in the wrong direction in the second half. I call that regression. You have a different opinion on that, and that is fine. Here's hoping we don't see a 1-11-4 second half next season. However it happened, or however it is characterized, it imploded what was once a promising season.
                          Last edited by osualum86; 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I think another thing that is maybe clouding our judgment is watching other programs in our league get it done with new coaches. Western Michigan just won the Mason Cup with a first-year coach. Michigan State is in the NCAA Tournament with a first-year coach. Bowling Green made it to the Joe with a second-year coach, and maybe BG isn't the best example since they finished last in the league in the regular season, but clearly they improved as the season went on, which is what you want to see with your program. Our program appeared to get worse as the season went on.

Comment

Sorry, but I have trouble buying the 'youth' excuse. If the the two halves of the season were reversed that would validify the youth excuse. Other teams stepped up and got better in the second half or the playoffs - this one deteriorated in record fashion. You don't get points for being competitive - you get points for winning and they didn't win.

So --- I'm disappointed and frustrated but I will still be there for the exhibition game and first home series come October.

I hope that having to live with this collapse over a summer - and watching a bunch of teams they beat in the first half in the tournament will be enough to correct the problem. Sadly we won't know until the end of February 2013 whether they learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X