• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTU season thread Part 3. The Mel Sky-Pearson chronicles

continue.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Re: MTU season thread Part 3. The Mel Sky-Pearson chronicles

Shirtless to answer the question, I believe they submit a list ahead of time and just delete names from it at the last minute, but I don't know for sure. Group travel has a few quirks.
    Another thing they do is that as tickets sell, the computer tracks the rate of sale and if the rate rises above a certain low limit the price goes up. So two people can go on the web to buy tickets and one gets it for say 300 dollars and two minutes later it's 350. It even tracks interest so even if they do not sell a ticket, the fact that you looked into the price on a certain city pair will affect the end price. I was buying tickets to go to spring training last week and the price changed in the middle of the search.

Comment

From Stephen Anderson's article today: Likteig will play on Friday Chad Pietila and Jimmy Davis are the extra skaters traveling with the team

Comment

Apparently the Huskies did fly to Denver...team just landed a little while ago.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I am guessing we will also have a third goalie, since it is spring break.

Comment

Does the school bank all of the frequent flyer miles?
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

If they get them, most likely yes, but they might be able to trade them away for a slightly cheaper fare.

The airlines watch seat inventory very closely, so when you take 40% out of inventory, as you would on a city pair that is served by RJ aircraft, they will want to charge you almost the walk up fare. So really teams can fly direct into Houghton, but because the fare is so high they choose to go by bus or at least part way by bus. Thus you get the shenanigans that Blais pulled, driving all over creation to get there.

In this case, Tech might have paid twice for the bus to msp. One round trip down there, and one round trip to pick them up, because I can't see the bus company leaving the bus in minnesota for almost a week.( Unless the bus company has nothing else to do with it on those days), so they might fly back into Houghton, we'll see.

Bus costs are going up rapidly due to the costs of fuel, not to mention the cost of busses. So you can expect the bus prices to go over 4 dollars in a year or two.
              Also, air service to remote cities is on the chopping block in Washington. The airlines lose a ton of money serving these cities, so the fed govt subsidizes the flights to the tune of over $1000 per passenger. As soon as the budget axe falls on this subsidy, you will see air service drop by a ton.
              Right now the criteria is if the city is within I think it's one hour drive of an airport with un subsidized service, but there is a lot of support to up the distance. It's really not fair to ask someone in suburban LA to drive two hours to the airport but then say to someone in Houghton that the tax-payer will pay so you don't have to drive an equal time to marquette.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                If they get them, most likely yes, but they might be able to trade them away for a slightly cheaper fare.

The airlines watch seat inventory very closely, so when you take 40% out of inventory, as you would on a city pair that is served by RJ aircraft, they will want to charge you almost the walk up fare. So really teams can fly direct into Houghton, but because the fare is so high they choose to go by bus or at least part way by bus. Thus you get the shenanigans that Blais pulled, driving all over creation to get there.

In this case, Tech might have paid twice for the bus to msp. One round trip down there, and one round trip to pick them up, because I can't see the bus company leaving the bus in minnesota for almost a week.( Unless the bus company has nothing else to do with it on those days), so they might fly back into Houghton, we'll see.

Bus costs are going up rapidly due to the costs of fuel, not to mention the cost of busses. So you can expect the bus prices to go over 4 dollars in a year or two.
                Also, air service to remote cities is on the chopping block in Washington. The airlines lose a ton of money serving these cities, so the fed govt subsidizes the flights to the tune of over $1000 per passenger. As soon as the budget axe falls on this subsidy, you will see air service drop by a ton.
                Right now the criteria is if the city is within I think it's one hour drive of an airport with un subsidized service, but there is a lot of support to up the distance. It's really not fair to ask someone in suburban LA to drive two hours to the airport but then say to someone in Houghton that the tax-payer will pay so you don't have to drive an equal time to marquette.
                Isn't Marquette subsidized?
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Isn't Marquette subsidized?
                  I think Marquette is the only airport in the UP that isn't subsidized. Probably soon to be the only airport in the UP.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Not that I could find. the Michigan subsidized airports are: Houghton, Iron Mtn, Escanaba, Ironwood, ludington, and one or two more. I couldn't find mqt on the list. there are also a number of them in Minnesota, including Bemidji.
                    The actual verbiage is air hub, whatever that means.

To be honest I expect that within 5 years the entire program will be phased out, course who knows with politics. Even the FAA is on record as favoring dismantling the program.

Comment

Yah, I know it sucks for some people if those airports are phased out, but I think it is probably a good idea. $1000 per passenger just so people don't have to drive two hours to Marquette? Sorry, I just don't think it is worth it. (same goes for the equivalent airports in MN, WI, etc.)
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Yah, I know it sucks for some people if those airports are phased out, but I think it is probably a good idea. $1000 per passenger just so people don't have to drive two hours to Marquette? Sorry, I just don't think it is worth it. (same goes for the equivalent airports in MN, WI, etc.)
                        To be fair the 1000 is the national average, Houghton is likely much lower, More like 100 or 2.. The total subsidy for Houghton is about 1.4 million. And marquette isn't considered an air hub, Milwaukee is. So Houghton would be safe for a while until the program goes away entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          To be fair the 1000 is the national average, Houghton is likely much lower, More like 100 or 2.. The total subsidy for Houghton is about 1.4 million. And marquette isn't considered an air hub, Milwaukee is. So Houghton would be safe for a while until the program goes away entirely.
                          Yes, CMX is very close to profitability - close enough that Michigan Tech might be able to do something to keep it in business even without the subsidies. The average is bumped way up by places like Ely, MN where you're flying a regular shuttle to MSP for 3 or 4 people.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            Yes, CMX is very close to profitability - close enough that Michigan Tech might be able to do something to keep it in business even without the subsidies. The average is bumped way up by places like Ely, MN where you're flying a regular shuttle to MSP for 3 or 4 people.
                            It is close. Management has been talking about what it would take in terms of increasing demand to get out of the subsidy before it gets taken away.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              I imagine there are several others that are similar to Ely in other parts of the country also.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                              X