Best college hockey game you've ever seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best college hockey game you've ever seen

I' m new to the forum so I'm sure this has been done before. But I don't currently see anything like it. So here goes. 1991 championship game between Northern Michigan and BU. This game had everything. BU lead 3-0 after the 1st. By the end of the 2nd. NMU was up 5-3. They upped it to 6-3 early in the 3rd. But BU came roaring back, outscoring NMU 4-2 in the 3rd, with the tying goal coming in the last minute. Then, the teams went 3 overtimes with BU hitting a double pipe before NMU finally put away. It was terrific!

Re: Best college hockey game you've ever seen

Top prize for me has to be BC-North Dakota in 2001. Krys Kolanos ends 52 years of frustration with a beautiful goal after BC blows a 2-0 third period lead.

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):
    - BC-Michigan 2004 regional final - Ben Eaves hobbles off the bench and bats it out of the air in OT.
    - BC-Miami 2008 regional final - Miami is running a train on BC in overtime but can't put it in the net, York takes the TO and Whitney swipes a rebound in. Also featured 3 BC goals in the span of 5 minutes in regulation, which was epic. Maybe the greatest performance from one of the all-time great goalies - John Muse.
    - BC-BU 2006 regional final - BU fans really thought they a) had a good team and b) were going to win. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. 5-0. The fanboys cried, the players cried, their radio guys cried.
    - BC-North Dakota 2007 semifinal - Crazy game.
    - BU-Miami 2009 title game - All aboard the Blasi Failboat! Good game, would have liked to have seen a better gamewinner in OT though.
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 02-27-2012, 08:25 AM.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Not even close for me ... best game was in Albany in 2000 in which SLU beat BU 3-2 in the FOURTH OT on a goal by Robin Carruthers (I believe that it was just his 5th of that season) to advance the Saints to the Frozen Four. That game, to date still the longest NCAA Tournament game in history, featured 80 SOG's for SLU and 74 for BU. BU's Rick DiPetro kicked out 77, while SLU's Derek Gustaffson stopped 75 shots. The game started at 12:00 Noon and ended at 6:00 PM. While the team I root for won that game, it would still be the best I've ever seen had BU won it in the FOURTH OT. The Albany paper wrote the next day that Michigan and Maine, who played the second (or "third") game that day, both ended up with 2 or 3 pregame meals.
      GO SAINTS.

Comment

Well, the 2009 championship was great, but the best pure hockey game was the regional final, in which BU and UNH played one of the best hockey games I've ever seen. UNH was fired up, Millan was standing on his head.
        Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
        ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Best is tough for me, because it isn't always on ice quality that made it the best. But games that stick out for me.

2002 Minnesota vs Maine (NCAA Championship) - Fantastic finish and of course a tremendous crowd atmosphere.
          2002 Minnesota vs North Dakota (WCHA Playoffs) - Infamous Ballard jersey pull and game winning goal.
          2007 Minnesota vs North Dakota (Final Five) - Wheeler scores a ridiculous goal while diving to end the game.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

1.) The Surge Game of course.. (if you have to ask..) ..
            2.) 1994 NCAA Qtrs Northeastern-Lake Superior St. OT (or was it double OT).. gm..
            3.) 2011 NU-BC OT in the Beanpot..

..just my favs of course.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

2002 NC game between Minnesota and Maine, with the Gophers winning in OT in front of 18,000 "home" fans. I thought the roof was going to come off after Koalska scored to tie it up with under a minute left in the 3rd. Awesome game.

Originally posted by CavalryNate
              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
              sigpic

Comment

1967 - Syracuse War Memorial - NCAA semi-finals - Cornell vs. North Dakota

(if "seen" = "attended")

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                  2002 NC game between Minnesota and Maine, with the Gophers winning in OT in front of 18,000 "home" fans. I thought the roof was going to come off after Koalska scored to tie it up with under a minute left in the 3rd. Awesome game.

Piotrowski thanks you for your support

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                    1967 - Syracuse War Memorial - NCAA semi-finals - Cornell vs. North Dakota

(if "seen" = "attended")
                    And why wouldn't it?

I was hoping you would have said December 4th, 1968.

Comment

The "Best" games that I ever saw?

2004 WCHA Final Five Championship: Minnesota v. North Dakota - Just a great game, back and forth, quality hockey.
                      2004 NCAA Regional Final: Denver v. North Dakota - Probably the best game I ever saw. Both teams played nearly flawless, and it was a weird goal that sent Denver on their way to their first title in 35 years.
                      2011 WCHA Final Five Championship: Denver v. North Dakota - Both teams played well, but a few flukey goals set the stage for a great overtime where both goalies made big saves. Frattin ends it in 2OT with a wide open net. Very good game, but not as good as the first two listed above, IMO.

Obviously, then there are the other "best" games (aka favorite games)...
                      2007 NCAA Regional Final: Minnesota v. North Dakota - To beat Minnesota a week after the way they beat North Dakota in the Final Five was great.
                      1997 NCAA Championship: BU v. North Dakota - 5 goals in the second period...typical Blais team where once they got going, it was lights out.
                      2011 NCAA Regional Final: Denver v. North Dakota - We had not beaten Denver in the NCAAs in nearly 50 years, and then dominated the Pioneers up and down the ice for 60 minutes.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        Top prize for me has to be BC-North Dakota in 2001. Krys Kolanos ends 52 years of frustration with a beautiful goal after BC blows a 2-0 third period lead.

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):
                        - BC-Michigan 2004 regional final - Ben Eaves hobbles off the bench and bats it out of the air in OT.
                        - BC-Miami 2008 regional final - Miami is running a train on BC in overtime but can't put it in the net, York takes the TO and Whitney swipes a rebound in. Also featured 3 BC goals in the span of 5 minutes in regulation, which was epic. Maybe the greatest performance from one of the all-time great goalies - John Muse.
                        - BC-BU 2006 regional final - BU fans really thought they a) had a good team and b) were going to win. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. 5-0. The fanboys cried, the players cried, their radio guys cried.
                        - BC-North Dakota 2007 semifinal - Crazy game.
                        - BU-Miami 2009 title game - All aboard the Blasi Failboat! Good game, would have liked to have seen a better gamewinner in OT though.
                        Speaking of the Rico Blasi failboat, one of my favorite memories of his was the 2010 Frozen Four when it showed him talking to his team in the locker room, "They cannot skate with you! Boston College -cannot skate with you!!!" A couple of hours later, 7-1

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                          Speaking of the Rico Blasi failboat, one of my favorite memories of his was the 2010 Frozen Four when it showed him talking to his team in the locker room, "They cannot skate with you! Boston College -cannot skate with you!!!" A couple of hours later, 7-1
                          ..if true, this is ridiculous.

Goes back to the age old adage - Respect your Competition.
                          (no matter their ranking or record)..
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                            Ditto. We got tickets the week of when Maine released their extras. Front row on the glass in the Maine section. Just watched the it again a few weeks ago. Easy to spot me on TV cuz I was right next to some dude with a Yellow afro. Last two goals scored right in front of us.

Favorite sporting event ever!
                            Better dead than Red

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                              ..if true, this is ridiculous.

Goes back to the age old adage - Respect your Competition.
                              (no matter their ranking or record)..
                              It is true. The DVD has some great locker room snippets from the Miami locker room (wasn't much from BC in comparison). Good ol' Failboat Blasi was a trainwreck that day in his talks to his team.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                              X