2012 WCHA Semi Final: Minnesota vs. North Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 WCHA Semi Final: Minnesota vs. North Dakota

This should be a regular knock down drag out by all appearances. The Sioux have had success against the Gophers the last couple seasons and will certainly have confidence going into this one. They also have tangible strong motivation to fortify their position in the NCAA picture.

A couple of Minnesota regulars banged up, with Becky Kortum not expected to return to action for awhile...if at all this season. She had been playing very well just prior to the injury so the team will likely feel the impact. Definitely the time for those getting more ice time as a result to step up as they say...crank up the intensity and make the most of their opportunity. I thought they showed real promise towards that very objective in the series with St. Cloud...but UND will obviously be a far bigger challenge. The Sioux have weapons, several weapons, so there's more to be done than just contain 1 or 2 of those weapons.

I think Minnesota needs big games from the seniors to advance to the final...and smart play. Cannot be puttin' the Sioux on the man advantage. Give them a bunch of PP time and it's trouble. Conversely, I think Minnesota was something like 2 for 15 on the PP in the recent series...and futile during a major and a full two minutes of 5 on 3 IIRC. Going to have to do better with any PP opportunities in this semi IMO.

GO GOPHERS!
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: 2012 WCHA Semi Final: Minnesota vs. North Dakota

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    This should be a regular knock down drag out by all appearances. The Sioux have had success against the Gophers the last couple seasons and will certainly have confidence going into this one. They also have tangible strong motivation to fortify their position in the NCAA picture.

A couple of Minnesota regulars banged up, with Becky Kortum not expected to return to action for awhile...if at all this season. She had been playing very well just prior to the injury so the team will likely feel the impact. Definitely the time for those getting more ice time as a result to step up as they say...crank up the intensity and make the most of their opportunity. I thought they showed real promise towards that very objective in the series with St. Cloud...but UND will obviously be a far bigger challenge. The Sioux have weapons, several weapons, so there's more to be done than just contain 1 or 2 of those weapons.

I think Minnesota needs big games from the seniors to advance to the final...and smart play. Cannot be puttin' the Sioux on the man advantage. Give them a bunch of PP time and it's trouble. Conversely, I think Minnesota was something like 2 for 15 on the PP in the recent series...and futile during a major and a full two minutes of 5 on 3 IIRC. Going to have to do better with any PP opportunities in this semi IMO.

GO GOPHERS!

Not meaning to encourage you, I have to say that this might be one of your best ones yet...couldn't stop laughing...excellent humour...

"I don't always talk to UND graduates, but when I do I ask for fries and a shake".

Comment

The Gophers have done a decent job keeping UND's offense in check, all things considered. While the overtime game-winner two Fridays ago was a power play goal, UND only scored 9 goals in the four games against Minnesota this season, with one of those being an empty-netter and a second being essentially an empty-netter (Räty was coming off the ice when it was scored).

Rather, this is about which Gopher offense comes to play on Friday night. In the two wins, the Gophers scored 12 goals. In the two losses, they only scored one. Whether it's the Minnesota seniors or other contributors for the maroon-and-gold, they need to get on the board often to advance to the title game.

Here are the top 4 Gopher contributors against UND this season...

Sarah Erickson - 4G, 3A = 7 pts
      Megan Bozek - 1G, 5A = 6 pts
      Jen Schoullis - 3G, 2A = 5 pts
      Amanda Kessel - 2G, 3A = 5 pts
      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
        Here are the top 4 Gopher contributors against UND this season...

Sarah Erickson - 4G, 3A = 7 pts
        Megan Bozek - 1G, 5A = 6 pts
        Jen Schoullis - 3G, 2A = 5 pts
        Amanda Kessel - 2G, 3A = 5 pts
        Those are also the team's top 4 scores on the season, albeit in a different order. The keys will be players like West and Terry that have really been coming on of late. Also, in basketball, people often talking about certain courts having tight rims. I wonder if the goals at AMSOIL are "tight". It might make a difference on Schleper's pipe shots going in or not.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Hearing Idalski talk about finally playing a meaningful game against the Gophers has got me pumped. Still puzzles me how UND is 5-2 in the last 7 vs UM. I think this will obviously be a very hard fought battle between two national powerhouses!

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WOMEN'S HOCKEY

WCHA Regular Season Champions:
          WCHA Playoff Champions:
          NCAA Tournament Appearances: 2012
          NCAA Championships:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...005/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by northhockey View Post
            Still puzzles me how UND is 5-2 in the last 7 vs UM.
            It's 5-3 in the last eight after Minnesota won the most recent game.

This game is all about the WCHA tourney for the Gophers, as I believe that they are locked into third nationally. It's been seven years since we won a tournament, and I think that now is the time to change that.

Comment

Nothing on their site yet but doesn't the WCHA broadcast the Final Face Off games on the internet for free?

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                It's 5-3 in the last eight after Minnesota won the most recent game.

This game is all about the WCHA tourney for the Gophers, as I believe that they are locked into third nationally. It's been seven years since we won a tournament, and I think that now is the time to change that.
                My bad, still quite impressive compared to the 0 for ALOT to start their "rivalry". Ha! I'm very excited for this game. I think both teams are better than they were last year at this point and I have a hunch the winner of this game will win the next day. I think the key for UND is starting strong and staying out of the box!!!!! What about UM?

WCHA Playoff Champions:
                NCAA Championships:

Comment

I think both teams are better than they were last year at this point and I have a hunch the winner of this game will win the next day.
                  The thing to remember about Wisconsin is that the version one sees in March is always far above what they've displayed up until that point. If UMD knocks them off, then it means that the Bulldogs have gone to a new level, so the team coming out of the second semi had better be prepared to bring it against whomever awaits it.

I think the key for UND is starting strong and staying out of the box!!!!! What about UM?
                  The keys for Minnesota are to ignore the shenanigans and finish their chances, because in all of the games that they've lost to UND, they have had chances.

Comment

The keys for Minnesota are to ignore the shenanigans and finish their chances, because in all of the games that they've lost to UND, they have had chances.
                    UND also seems to have mental lapses on defense, and that inconsistency worries me against top teams. Its as if I don't know what team I will see on the ice today. I could see it resembling one of the 2 games in Grand Forks this season.

WCHA Playoff Champions:
                    NCAA Championships:

Comment

UND also seems to have mental lapses on defense...
                      Your defense seemed pretty spot on versus Bemidji State. You didn't give them much.

Comment

Your defense seemed pretty spot on versus Bemidji State. You didn't give them much.
                        Yes it was but that was to be expected with bemidji and their style. I am more worried with the inconsistency of the D. I hope I see the good side

WCHA Playoff Champions:
                        NCAA Championships:

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                          Nothing on their site yet but doesn't the WCHA broadcast the Final Face Off games on the internet for free?
                          Gophersports game and tournament preview appears to include a link to live video from the WCHA website.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...022812aaa.html
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                            Gophersports game and tournament preview appears to include a link to live video from the WCHA website.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...022812aaa.html
                            Thanks, it does, but no information yet about live broadcasts of this weekend's games. I seem to recall the same thing happening last year...they didn't provide any info until a day or two before, maybe in an attempt to increase ticket sales for the event. So, maybe by tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              Thanks, it does, but no information yet about live broadcasts of this weekend's games. I seem to recall the same thing happening last year...they didn't provide any info until a day or two before, maybe in an attempt to increase ticket sales for the event. So, maybe by tomorrow...
                              I think that the WCHA has provided the link information to the member teams, and that's why it appears in the current game notes, they just haven't set the WCHA site up yet. The WCHA seems to be a little bit of a "just in time" operation.

Comment

Working...
                              X