Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey: By the Decade

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    Same numbers game that I had a problem with earlier. Since Kariya didn't score enough goals during the decade, he doesn't make the team. Since Montgomery did score the most, he must be the best. Rubbish.
    Would you rather have a great 4-year forward who averages 75 points/season, or a great 1-year forward who scores 100 points in that 1 season?
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

The "rubbish" comment was about this type of list that looks at little more than one criteria. Monty was a very good player, and probably deserves to be on that short list, but I don't have the proper perspective, frankly. In all truthfulness, he was clearly helped to those lofty point totals by a team that was very high-powered throughout his career. Does that necessarily make him better than a player with fewer points who played on a team that wasn't as strong? If you "go by the numbers" it does.

And your comments, FS23, about "Maine/NCAA fiasco" and the desirability of a 4-year career are about politics that don't involve the abilities of the player, and a criteria not put forth in defining the list. Again, Kariya is clearly on my list of "best college hockey players from this past decade." I'll kick Drury - he was low-scorer on CHW's list.
      Last edited by UncleRay; 06-08-2012, 09:54 PM. Reason: To correct error
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

As the Harvard radio commentator said of JC Ruid during one game, "My grandmother would score 50 points per season on a line with St. Louis and Perrin."
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          Would you rather have a great 4-year forward who averages 75 points/season, or a great 1-year forward who scores 100 points in that 1 season?
          Fortunately, we didn't have to choose...we had both

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
            The "rubbish" comment was about this type of list that looks at little more than one criteria. Monty was a very good player, and probably deserves to be on that short list, but I don't have the proper perspective, frankly. In all truthfulness, he was clearly helped to those lofty point totals by a team that was very high-powered throughout his career. Does that necessarily make him better than a player with fewer points who played on a team that wasn't as strong? If you "go by the numbers" it does.

And your comments, FS23, about "Maine/NCAA fiasco" and the desirability of a 4-year career are about politics that don't involve the abilities of the player, and a criteria not put forth in defining the list. Again, Kariya is clearly on my list of "best college hockey players from this past decade." I'll kick Drury - he was low-scorer on CHN's list.
            Drury (the lowest scorer as you noted) was the only unanimous 1st Teamer forward for this decade. That seems to go against the argument that points was the biggest factor. (BTW, CHW's list...not CHN's...although I'm sure CHW would love to be confused with CHN.)

As for my comments, those are not my sentiments, merely those expressed by some of the voters who didn't put Kariya on their ballot (Again, I had Kariya on my ballot).

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Fortunately, we didn't have to choose...we had both
            This is true. There is a reason why the 1993 Maine squad was so dominant.
            North Dakota

Comment

Good stuff.

FS23, what's your relationhip to this site? Is it yours? You write this stuff?
              Better dead than Red

Comment

Originally posted by ski View Post
                Good stuff.

FS23, what's your relationhip to this site? Is it yours? You write this stuff?
                I contribute to the site (basically that means that I get a vote on things, and am on the weekly conference call, along with a few other things). A group of friends of mine actually run and maintain the site. One of them usually writes the articles. I sometimes help with research, and I wrote the articles (and came up with the formula) for the "Greatest Teams" thread. I would love to do more, but I teach and I'm in law school right now, and that takes up the majority of my time. At one point there was talk that they would bring me on as an editor and have me write a weekly piece called "23s Take." I declined for two main reasons: 1) I don't think many people would care about my opinions, as it would probably focus more on western hockey than college hockey in general, and 2) I just don't have 5ish extra hours in a week to write an article.
                North Dakota

Comment

Man, some of these career point totals are staggering from these guys in the 90s.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I contribute to the site (basically that means that I get a vote on things, and am on the weekly conference call, along with a few other things). A group of friends of mine actually run and maintain the site. One of them usually writes the articles. I sometimes help with research, and I wrote the articles (and came up with the formula) for the "Greatest Teams" thread. I would love to do more, but I teach and I'm in law school right now, and that takes up the majority of my time. At one point there was talk that they would bring me on as an editor and have me write a weekly piece called "23s Take." I declined for two main reasons: 1) I don't think many people would care about my opinions, as it would probably focus more on western hockey than college hockey in general, and 2) I just don't have 5ish extra hours in a week to write an article.
                    Reading through some of your posts, I assumed as much but thanks for the clarification. I do enjoy the site and the lists you guys come up with. You guys do a nice job. Pass it on.
                    Better dead than Red

Comment

Originally posted by ski View Post
                      Reading through some of your posts, I assumed as much but thanks for the clarification. I do enjoy the site and the lists you guys come up with. You guys do a nice job. Pass it on.
                      Thank you. I will let them know. You can always email them as well at editor@collegehockeyweekly.com
                      North Dakota

Comment

College Hockey Weekly has put out the Best Programs of the 1990s...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/1...-Programs.html
                        North Dakota

Comment

College Hockey Weekly has put out the Best Programs of the 1990s...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/1...-Programs.html
                          Wow is Wisconsin rated high on that list!

My list was
                          #1 Michigan Wolverines
                          #2 Boston University Terriers
                          #3 Maine Black Bears
                          #4 Lake Superior State Lakers
                          #5 North Dakota Fighting Sioux
                          #6 Michigan State Spartans
                          #7 Minnesota Golden Gophers
                          #8 New Hampshire Wildcats
                          #9 Clarkson Golden Knights
                          #10 Boston College Eagles
                          #11 Wisconsin Badgers
                          ETA: Ah, and now I see why. That list is 1990-1999 and I did 1991-2000, so it did not include Wisconsin's national title in 1990. It also accounts for LSSU's higher winning percentage.

The 1993 Frozen Four remains the only that featured all four of the top teams. That FF was amazing.
                          Last edited by Priceless; 06-13-2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Wow is Wisconsin rated high on that list!
                            How did you treat Wisconsin's NCAA violations?
                            North Dakota

Comment

How did you treat Wisconsin's NCAA violations?
                              My list ignored NCAA violations.

Comment

My list ignored NCAA violations.
                                Interesting. Was there a strength of schedule component/weighting/factor involved?
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X