Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MTU @ CC 3/2 - 3/3 Just a two game series or maybe up to 5 games in 10 days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTU @ CC 3/2 - 3/3 Just a two game series or maybe up to 5 games in 10 days?

So it's come down to this...
    Tech sweeps CC = Tech gets home ice
    Tech gets 2 pts and UNO gets no pts and SCSU gets 2 or less pts = Tech gets home ice
    A whole bunch of scenarios = Tech plays CC 4 or 5 times within 10 days.

I think if you would have asked Tech fans in September if they would take this scenario for the last week of the season, I think you would get 99% yes (can't please everyone). I'll be making my first trip to Colorado Springs for this series. If any CC fans surf this board, or Tech fans who have been there have any tips on the area I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Ryan J
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 02-26-2012, 06:51 PM. Reason: Bad math...
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Re: MTU @ CC 3/2 - 3/3 Just a two game series or maybe up to 5 games in 10 days?

One caveat: There's one situation by which Tech takes three points and doesn't finish in the top six, that being if St. Cloud sweeps UMD and UNO takes three points or more (I think).
    Originally posted by Jon
    You call everything.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      So it's come down to this...
      Tech takes at least 3 pts from CC = Tech gets home ice
      Tech gets 2 pts and Denver sweeps UNO = Tech gets home ice
      A whole bunch of scenarios = Tech plays CC 4 or 5 times within 10 days.

I think if you would have asked Tech fans in September if they would take this scenario for the last week of the season, I think you would get 99% yes (can't please everyone). I'll be making my first trip to Colorado Springs for this series. If any CC fans surf this board, or Tech fans who have been there have any tips on the area I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
      Ryan J
      Avoid CCtig, trust me on this one.
      Originally posted by vizoroo
      Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
      Originally posted by duper
      I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
      Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
      Originally posted by dggoddard
      Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Re: MTU @ CC 3/2 - 3/3 Just a two game series or maybe up to 5 games in 10 days?

Head up the highway to Manitou Springs and go to the outdoor arcade.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
          Head up the highway to Manitou Springs and go to the outdoor arcade.
          This.

I'll also be making the trip. I cannot wait.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Just posted this question in another thread, but for the CC fans - what are the chances you guys get Thorimbert back for this series? He could make a huge difference for a CC team that appears to be beset with injuries right now.

Comment

For bars: McCabe's is a nice little pub (downtown), and Flatiron's is okay (southwest part of the city).

The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is okay, probably will be too cold for some animals to be outside (such as the giraffes, which you can hand-feed from an elevated walkway). Great view of the city from there, though, as it is on a mountain. Of course you have the Broadmoor area/hotel; very ritzy. I've heard Garden Of The Gods is nice, I haven't made it there yet, same with Pike's Peak.

And as was previously mentioned, you could head to Manitou Springs. Not only does it have a decent arcade/boardwalk (IIRC the owner said he had at least one game from every year since the early-1900s), but there are some nice little dives there. And it's not tourist season there, really (it's more of a summer city, IMO), so it shouldn't be overcrowded.

The BW3's in the southern part of the city has something like 65-70 HDTVs, if you choose to go there pre- or post-game. That was rather impressive.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

MTU @ CC 3/2 - 3/3 Just a two game series or maybe up to 5 games in 10 days?

By process of elimination let's look at this weekend's matchups and their potential influence on where Tech finishes.
                Team (current pts)

The current 5th and 6th place teams (CC / UNO) both already have 27 pts. MTU has 26. SCSU has 25.
                Tech can not finish 1st - 3rd OR 9th - 12th

Bemidji (18) @ Anchorage (11)
                - Neither team can move past Tech in the standings
                - This series means nothing
                Wisconsin (22) @ Minnesota (38)
                - MTU can't catch Minnesota
                - WI could tie MTU at 26 pts but MTU holds the head-to-head tie breaker
                Mankato (18) @ North Dakota (29) -
                - Mankato can't catch MTU
                - If UND gets one point they finish ahead of Tech, UND holds the head-to-head tiebreaker
                - If UND gets no pts, MTU can move ahead only with a sweep of CC
                Denver (32) at UNO (27)
                - MTU can't catch Denver
                - If UNO gets three pts, they finish ahead of MTU with head-to-head tie breaker
                - If UNO gets 2 pts and MTU sweeps, UND, MTU and UNO secure home ice as UNO holds head-to-head tiebreaker over SCSU
                - If UNO gets 1 pt and MTU gets 3pts, Duluth must get 2 pts vs SCSU for Tech to get home ice (Or Tech scores a boat load of goals)
                - If UNO gets no pts... my head hurts
                Duluth (36) @ St Cloud (25) -
                - MTU can't catch Duluth
                - If SCSU gets 4 pts and MTU gets three or less... my head hurts

If Tech gets 0 pts - no home ice for first round
                If Tech gets 1 pt - no home ice (loses tiebreaker to UNO)
                If Tech gets 2 pts - way too messy to put in writing
                If Tech gets 3 pts - way too messy to figure out
                If Tech gets 4 pts - home ice for first round

This will be much easier Friday about 10:30pm MT.
                Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Bottom Line: Just win, baby. Everything else is out of their control.

Comment

By process of elimination let's look at this weekend's matchups and their potential influence on where Tech finishes.
                    Team (current pts)

The current 5th and 6th place teams (CC / UNO) both already have 27 pts. MTU has 26. SCSU has 25.

- If UND gets one point they finish ahead of Tech, UND holds the head-to-head tiebreaker
                    Denver (32) at UNO (27)
                    - MTU can't catch Denver
                    - If UNO gets 2 pts and MTU sweeps, UND, MTU and UNO secure home ice as UNO holds head-to-head tiebreaker over SCSU
                    - If UNO gets 1 pt and MTU gets 3pts, Duluth must get 2 pts vs SCSU for Tech to get home ice (Or Tech scores a boat load of goals)
                    - MTU can't catch Duluth

Ryan J
                    If Tech get's 3 pts they will almost certainly host the first round.
                    3pts will move them ahead of CC. Even if UNO does well enough against DU to stay ahead of Tech, Tech will still be in 6th.
                    SCSU would have to sweep Duluth to tie Tech in the standings and win in the tie-breaker. That seems pretty unlikely. Even if that DID happen, Tech could stay ahead of UNO with a 3pt Denver weekend (probably more likely than an SCSU sweep of Duluth).

If Tech gets 3 pts, they should be golden for a home play-off series.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      For bars: McCabe's is a nice little pub (downtown), and Flatiron's is okay (southwest part of the city).

The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is okay, probably will be too cold for some animals to be outside (such as the giraffes, which you can hand-feed from an elevated walkway). Great view of the city from there, though, as it is on a mountain. Of course you have the Broadmoor area/hotel; very ritzy. I've heard Garden Of The Gods is nice, I haven't made it there yet, same with Pike's Peak.

And as was previously mentioned, you could head to Manitou Springs. Not only does it have a decent arcade/boardwalk (IIRC the owner said he had at least one game from every year since the early-1900s), but there are some nice little dives there. And it's not tourist season there, really (it's more of a summer city, IMO), so it shouldn't be overcrowded.

The BW3's in the southern part of the city has something like 65-70 HDTVs, if you choose to go there pre- or post-game. That was rather impressive.
                      No Golden Bee? When I head to the Springs I will stop there and get some bees for my jerseys and hats
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        No Golden Bee? When I head to the Springs I will stop there and get some bees for my jerseys and hats
                        Forgot about that. I haven't been there, but will try to make it there this weekend. I'm at the mercy of my hostess for transportation this weekend. I am sure we'll be at McCabe's one of the nights I'm there, as that is her favorite bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          This, this, and this.

One word of warning: DO NOT WEAR A DAZZLE CLOTH JERSEY INTO THE BEE UNLESS YOU DON'T MIND THE STICKER THERE PERMANENTLY. The stickers tend to not come off of dazzle cloth.
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                            This, this, and this.

One word of warning: DO NOT WEAR A DAZZLE CLOTH JERSEY INTO THE BEE UNLESS YOU DON'T MIND THE STICKER THERE PERMANENTLY. The stickers tend to not come off of dazzle cloth.
                            This is truth. So, if I end up there, and I have my Tech jersey on, it's getting ditched in the car.

Comment

Team (current pts)

Denver (32) at UNO (27)
                              - MTU can't catch Denver
                              - MTU can't catch Duluth

Ryan J
                              With last night’s victory over St. Cloud State, next week Tech must sweep Colorado College in order to advance to home ice and eventually St. Paul. Then the Huskies can advance to the National Eastern Division North to play Ferris State.
                              So if Tech beats Anchorage and Duluth beats Vermont in the American Southwestern Division East Northern, then Tech goes to the Frozen Four, unless Bemidji upsets North Dakota and UMass-Lowell ties Wisconsin, then Air Force would play Wayne State and Ryerson in a blind choice round robin. If no clear winner emerges from all of this, a two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion is crowned.

Comment

Working...
                              X