Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Also, per the Freep twitter, Nicastro is officially no longer on the team, his name was taken off the roster on goterriers.com as well. That should all but confirm they are aware he committed some level of a crime.

In a more positive story, the students will be raffling off a game worn Gryba jersey tomorrow night at a watch party on campus for the game with proceeds going to Autism Speaks and the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center. And Privitera is in the lineup for tomorrow night, and his pain level during and after the game will determine whether he plays Saturday.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Could someone explain CGS? If it was in that thread I missed it. Thanks!
      Gary

www.umlhockey.com
      Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
      "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
      KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        Also, per the Freep twitter, Nicastro is officially no longer on the team, his name was taken off the roster on goterriers.com as well. That should all but confirm they are aware he committed some level of a crime.
        Freep twitter said he was off the roster because he is no longer enrolled at BU. I don't think it says one way or the other about whether he committed a crime.
        #OneKnight

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          the students will be raffling off a game worn Gryba jersey
          Stained with the blood of an unknown hit-from-behind victim, no doubt.
          Lowell Forever
          Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            Does anyone know what the team alcohol policy is?
            The more, the better?

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
            But let's not end the discussion with a mantra about how intelligent the BC football team or Nathan Gerbe or a few more of them over there are, or were. BU may be in crisis mode for the moment, but they never pretented to being Harvard Monday through Friday and Nebraska on Saturday.
            There's been discussion on the Hockey East All Academic team, but I haven't seen anything about the BC football team. Feel free to mention documented examples of football players who have had their academic struggles, but I certainly wouldn't generalize it like you just did. Aren't they usually near the top in graduation rate? As for Gerbe, he could have been dumb as rocks, but that doesn't mean he didn't bust his *** in the classroom. There's something to be said for that.

Originally posted by MissSioux85 View Post
            Saw this on Twitter
            Sounds like this is what a few posters were talking about.

Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
            My thoughts about this whole mess (and it is a HUGE mess) are the following:
            1) There is culpability at all levels, I do not think that the blame can be put squarely on ANYONE. First and foremost on these young men who have put themselves in the positions they are in regardless of the outcomes. They are kids on the one hand but on the other hand they are adults adn ultimately there has to be the lion's share pf the burden upon the athlete regardless of the sport or who the athlete is.
            2) There is fault that has to be found within the coaching staff and as much as I love the man Coach Parker as well. A lot of the so called "rumors" or "stories" that have been floating around for years surely more then once crossed the desk of the coaching staff. "party like a puckstar" was out there to be seen by all. One has to question the change of policy wherein underclassmen were explicity forbidden from going to places like T's etc after games. In addition as Coach Parker himself readily admitted he knew (and this was a known thing amongst anyone that hs any relationship to the team) that Trivino had a drinking problem. One has to question why he was left on his own to correct the problem. A warning of being suspended while serious, was probably not the way to help him. Yes someone needs to want help in order to get it, but you have to believe that had the ultimatum been given either get help or don't play then maybe a lot of this mess could have been avoided
            3) There is the issue of too much too soon unfortunately. If you look at the culprits it is the group of freshman from the national championship team as well as the incoming class thereafter wherein the problems have been found for the most part. In the past there were guys like Gilroy, Yip, McArthy,Pereira etc... who kept things in check. Some of those players loved to party as much as anyone but they knew full well the limitations and surely they kept the guys in check. There was a lot of self policing going on and one wonders what has happened to that?? Might it be the type of kid recruited? Might it be the message or lack thereof coming down from the top.. I don't think it is really one answer at all.. This is in NO way a knock on Conno who is as stand up as they come but every player has some different leadership skills.
            4) There should be some sort of mechanism possibly put in place especially for incoming players and especially for those from out of town wherein maybe they can be hooked up with a host family or something of the sort so that they can have a place to go a place to escape to and maybe even some responsibility and connection to the community maybe grounding them a little. I think it would be nice for the players to have some adult connection outside of a coach or a teacher where they can look to for some guidance. One has to believe that faced with the thought of having to answer to a young kid who worships the ground he or she walks on might make the athlete think twice before doing something stupid. I dont think it is just coincidence that the players with local ties or those whose parents are around constantly at games or the like( noonan, gaudet, clendenning, etcc.) certainly have avodied these kind of problems. It is also no coincidence that the players with steady girlfriends have avoided any trouble as well.
            5) There is definitely issue with the current culture and to be frank fault can be found on both sides; on the athletes side and on those that pursue the athletes as well male or female. One has to wonder how all this has affected those who have left as surely Coyle's departure while "school" related had something to do with the outside of the rink culture as well. How will this affect current players in their decisions to leave ? incoming recruits? and potential recruits, all remains to be seen but there is no question that changes have to be made and new policies regarding off the ice conduct must be implemented....

That being said the past few weeks have surely been quite devastating to current players and former players alike and anyone who cares about this team because there is a sense of family around this team and it's followers that maybe needs to be cultivated even more. One hopes that the team can rally around this and we have to support them and hopefully some great surprises ahead....

GO BU and BC still sucks!!
            Pass the tylenol. Try separating your paragraphs next time. Might want to shorten it up too. Don't want to be the next pirate.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
              My thoughts about this whole mess (and it is a HUGE mess) are the following:
              4) There should be some sort of mechanism possibly put in place especially for incoming players and especially for those from out of town wherein maybe they can be hooked up with a host family or something of the sort so that they can have a place to go a place to escape to and maybe even some responsibility and connection to the community maybe grounding them a little. I think it would be nice for the players to have some adult connection outside of a coach or a teacher where they can look to for some guidance. One has to believe that faced with the thought of having to answer to a young kid who worships the ground he or she walks on might make the athlete think twice before doing something stupid. I dont think it is just coincidence that the players with local ties or those whose parents are around constantly at games or the like( noonan, gaudet, clendenning, etcc.) certainly have avodied these kind of problems. It is also no coincidence that the players with steady girlfriends have avoided any trouble as well.
              Oh yea... the NCAA would love that. Can you say By-Laws?
              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                Oh yea... the NCAA would love that. Can you say By-Laws?
                1) what the he!!??? host family for college freshmen? really? there are thousands of 18yo coming to this town every fall. the fact that they are on their own doesn't mean they feel it's ok to sexually assault the opposite sex.

1b) plus the average freshman these days is 19 or 20. in my house we call them adults. my kids will be receiving hints daily to gtfu if they try to set up camp at 20yo in my house!

2) alcohol policy? if you are 21 it is legal to drink. so drink. but it is not legal to embarrass me. you embarrass me twice you're not playing hockey. i'm not releasing you and you will be forced to leave on your own or waste your so called career. scholarships are not guaranteed. call your mommy and tell her to expect a tuition bill.

3) i will have one policy.... DON'T RAPE ANYONE!!! horny? come listen to my wise friend mookie.. 'wack off!'. you know what, i'll let him tell it...
                "hey there. i know what i want. i can touch myself in a manner that the job gets done, FAST! you want to know something... get a job, and guess what? you'll appreciate sleep. why waste all night when you can do it yourself in a couple minutes. i feel good. i get sleep. try it, you'll like it."

D) got brownie's email at 445p. easier to read when it's not on a phone. -summer?- -early next fall?- hmmm. i don't think we need a slow boat to china to interview people, do we? i don't think we appreciate the level of bad pr this can get quickly. kids will be making decisions on coming in as freshmen. recruits will be looking elsewhere shortly. and i didn't see any mention of his culpability in this? will the task force be able to dive into what the office of the president did (or didn't do) in december? lot of insiders.

what his assistant typed:
                The membership of the task force, its charge, and its work plan will be announced in the next several weeks. The goal is for the task force to offer the University a thoughtful and impartial assessment of the culture and climate of our team, with a view to answering the question whether that culture and climate could have contributed to actions that, in turn, led to criminal charges. I will ask to have a report from the task force early in the summer so that we can begin to address any issues in the coming academic year.

what i may have typed instead:
                The membership of the task force, its charge, and its work plan will be announced in the next 10 days. The goal is for the task force to offer the community a thoughtful and independent assessment of the culture and climate of our team and it's interaction with the University as a whole, with a view to answering the question whether that culture and climate could have contributed to actions that, in turn, led to criminal charges. I will ask to have a report from the task force in the coming weeks so that we can begin to address any issues well before the start of the academic year.

ie - did brownie's love of going to big hockey games cloud suspicions a responsible leader might have had back in dec? does brown allow certain leeway with the hockey team in relation to the overall student body and in comparison to other peer schools (let's examine how many bu players are enrolled in met vs how many harvard players are enrolled in the extension school).
                i think there are a lot of things that if you scratch the shell you may see items that encouraged the sense of entitlement. the 'culture' that they are chasing has a base to grow upon.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

of course, there is NO WAY the school is going to do this right and supply a claims document for every lawyer who is representing every girl who has been ______ by a player over the past XX years to sue them with cause.

nice try however.

Comment

“One of the things that hasn’t changed at all over the 25 years that I’ve coached is that players want discipline,” said York, who suspended a key player last year for breaking team rules. “They want to be involved with a team that’s very well structured as far as what’s right and what’s wrong. The players want to have as much success as they possibly can and they’re smart enought to understand that without discipline they’re not going to reach that level.

“I want all the players to clearly understand that they’re going to be pushed very hard to become the best player they can be here at BC. They’re going to be in a program that’s very well-defined and very well-structured as far as the importance of the classroom and the importance of representing BC to a very high standard. That hasn’t changed at all.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/1996/12/04/jerr...#ixzz1nFlNZJHs

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                      Could someone explain CGS? If it was in that thread I missed it. Thanks!
                      Its a rigorous 2 year core curriculum program for those who might otherwise have been denied admission to BU. Assuming they complete CGS to satisfaction they continue on into one of the other colleges within the university.

View it as a 2nd chance type of thing for kids the University deemed as smart but maybe didn't apply themselves to the best of their ability in high school.
                      Last edited by ericredaxe; 02-23-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Conspiracy theory time:

Plot of the Peacock? The next game after each incident is televised by NBC Sports Network.

Good news that Dos Equis is giving it a go tomorrow. Even used sparing he can be a big help, especially on the PP.
                        Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

I love how one of Parker's cronies is launchign a "task force" to investigate Parker. If that's how it works, Whitey Bulger should be allowed to pick his own jury.
                          1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

• Originally posted by TimP View Post
                            If that's how it works, Whitey Bulger should be allowed to pick his own jury.
                            Uh, hello? This Boston. How else would it work?
                            Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Why are the BC fans even here? Just to watch the rubble bounce?

Beanpot: check
                              Hockey East: check
                              BU disgraced: check
                              Jack on the ropes: check

Can't you leave us be to discuss it among ourselves?

If you get the urge to torch us just listen to this and laugh:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BKP2evFF1s

I'm completely embarrassed.

What in the name of Matt Gilroy and Chirs Drury is going on with this program???????
                              Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                                I love how one of Parker's cronies is launchign a "task force" to investigate Parker. If that's how it works, Whitey Bulger should be allowed to pick his own jury.
                                I don't think Brown qualifies as a "Parker crony" unless you're just assuming that every high-ranking officer at BU is one. Also, the goal of the task force isn't to investigate Parker specifically. Was that not obvious? Or are you just being willfully ignorant?
                                BU '05, '08, '12

Comment

Working...
                                X