Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

I'm as skeptical as the next person, but I don't find this to be a bag job to completely exonerate Parker before the task force even meets. Furthermore, I find it highly unlikely Bob Brown met with Parker beforehand and assured him he's be found with zero liability for the conduct of the team under his watch. That makes no sense and would really open up the school in this post Joe Paterno world to serious consequences.

Brown's letter states that he thinks the culture of the program is the problem. That's pretty direct and further than I thought he might go. "The constitution of the task force does, however, reflect a University-level judgment that the two incidents indicate something systemic or habitual may foster a team climate that does not comport with the highest standards of conduct we seek to maintain for all members of our community." That tells me that far from being secure, everybody's on the hot seat. Its not enough to be a coach who just doesn't realize what's going on. Paterno wasn't part of any official cover-up, he was just clueless. If somebody was told of bad behavior but didn't act on it (say an assistant or something) I don't know how the U can possibly keep them on.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

meh I think the academic thing is a wash. In addition to BU having lots of kids in CGS, they have kids in MET too. Other D1 colleges dont do this. Sure kids can take classes through Harvard Extention or NEU's CPS, but not get degrees from there like BU is doing. Id say its a wash to compare a 3.0 at UML and BU

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
        While mostly a football issue, there is nothing stopping a school from funneling players into specific colleges or majors or classes that are conducive to GPA achievement. I suspect the guys at USC had 3.0's but reading some of those stories about phantom classes and classes comprised of nearly 100% athletes, I'm not sure they could count that high much less earn that GPA.

I'd be concerned about a school with high academic standards never having a kid leave due to bad grades. If the general student population, who didn't get any admissions leniency due to athletic prowess, has kids fail out, then sports teams should too.

And tutoring doesn't solve it all.

Show me a tutoring program that keeps 100% of the players eligible and I'll show you one that is likely taking liberties with the school ethics guidelines.

All that being said, I would hope that admission stats, overall GPA, distribution of majors, feedback from faculty etc. are part of the AD's measurement of any sports team.

If the whole team got a 2.8, had a mix of challenging majors, was matriculating on schedule and the faculty was reporting players were in class, participating and earning the 2.8's then I'd be happier than hearing that we had a blended 3.3 GPA in Kinesiology, wasn't tracking towards graduation and the faculty was concerned the kids were getting too much help from tutors.

Given that, if another school said they had a higher GPA, I would only consider if my school was doing the best they could to fairly educate and grade players. If my team was 35% above a 3.0 I'd cross-reference that to their admission stats and determine if it made sense that our players were just inherently smarter than everybody else's.
        The amount of Stupid in this post is mind-numbing.
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          I mean, if Chris Bourque could stay eligible there for even one semester, how tough could the academics there be!?
          Never mind that you can't be ruled ineligible until the semester is over, at which point you're on probation for the next semester (which I think he was), and then you would be removed if you didn't improve. Edit: That's BU academic policy.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            I have little doubt your mind is numb. You demonstrate it consistently.
            I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by swimchris View Post
              meh I think the academic thing is a wash. In addition to BU having lots of kids in CGS, they have kids in MET too. Other D1 colleges dont do this. Sure kids can take classes through Harvard Extention or NEU's CPS, but not get degrees from there like BU is doing. Id say its a wash to compare a 3.0 at UML and BU
              I just want to know why everybody's getting smoked by PC!
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

As is the amount of BC circle jerking in this thread. You guys should find a different hobby. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you all like each other's company. But you should start seeing other people.
                Last edited by DaveStPaul; 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM.
                Bugs Bunny - 96
                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Why is it so stupid? Because he's suggesting that GPAs aren't equivalent between HE schools, and that it's possible to make it appear as if your student-athletes are high-achieving by having them enroll in less-challenging majors? Your post is lazy (and also kinda stupid.)

I don't know if BU's hockey players are under-achieving academically compared to other schools, but it's probably more useful to judge them against the other BU athletes than other hockey players.
                  BU '05, '08, '12

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    Graduation rates, overall academic progress (I believe BU had a perfect 1000 in the albeit ridiculous NCAA APR stat) whether players are actually achieving those grades or if they're inflated by professors, if they're being coddled in easy programs, a la the former Duke basketball player orchestrated sociology degree program.
                    Wait ... this is all coming from a UConn basketball fan, right?

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by swimchris View Post
                      Can somebody explain to me what MET is and the stigma attached to it? The website says it's continuing education for adults. Are there hockey players in this school, and if so, why?
                      Last edited by KnightsOfTheRound; 02-23-2012, 03:22 PM.
                      #OneKnight

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                        Wait ... this is all coming from a UConn basketball fan, right?
                        Exactly

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        Never mind that you can't be ruled ineligible until the semester is over, at which point you're on probation for the next semester (which I think he was), and then you would be removed if you didn't improve. Edit: That's BU academic policy.
                        Ahhh the old Hasheem Thabeet rule. I know I'm going to the NBA in the spring so I don't need to go to class in the 2nd semester, they'll only rule me ineligible for when I'm not here!

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          Touche! I really am interested in knowing what (if any), policy exists. I suspect the task force might want to know.
                          They do have a team policy. I've actually seen the handout (probably while I was hooking up with a player if you ask the BC crowd), and it's basically what brassbonanza said. Players who are of legal drinking age are allowed to drink on Saturday nights as long as there isn't a game Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday, I assume). There is also a warning right on the handout that being allowed to drink does not mean you're allowed to drink in excess or become belligerent. It says something like, "Go out and have fun, but don't drink so much that you do something you'll regret," and then reminds them that they're still representing the team and the university even when they're out at a bar.
                          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

• Originally posted by pirate View Post
                            I have little doubt your mind is numb. You demonstrate it consistently.
                            *****http://i42.tinypic.com/2r4hllc.jpg******Sorry I hurt your feelings.
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                              Can somebody explain to me what MET is and the stigma attached to it? My girlfriend is a BU alum and she refers to MET sometimes like it's community college for illiterates. The website says it's continuing education for adults. Are there hockey players in this school, and if so, why?
                              It is the continuing education school. Clendening, Connolly, Gilroy, Millan all are getting degrees from there. 7 more on the current roster are in CGS. I don't think this is necessarily true for CGS kids, but maybe part of a culture if there is one is because some of the kids we are recruiting are not academically qualified and we put them into a school that separates them even more.

edit: Trivino and Nicastro were also getting degrees from the MET

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                                They do have a team policy. I've actually seen the handout (probably while I was hooking up with a player if you ask the BC crowd), and it's basically what brassbonanza said. Players who are of legal drinking age are allowed to drink on Saturday nights as long as there isn't a game Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday, I assume). There is also a warning right on the handout that being allowed to drink does not mean you're allowed to drink in excess or become belligerent. It says something like, "Go out and have fun, but don't drink so much that you do something you'll regret," and then reminds them that they're still representing the team and the university even when they're out at a bar.
                                For the record, the 21+ players are also allowed to drink on other nights (as designated by Parker & Co.) throughout the season. The Sunday night Trivino got in trouble (after the team's weekend at Maine) was one of those nights.

Comment

Working...
                                X