Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Whoah that's going to leave a mark

Comment

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      bc pc bu
      2010-2011 5 12 2
      2009-2010 5 9 1
      2008-2009 6 9 4
      2007-2008 8 7 3
      2006-2007 5 7 4
      2005-2006 4 3 1
      2004-2005 7 6 2
      2003-2004 4 2 1
      2002-2003 9 3 2

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
      I think you just ended that discussion.

Comment

Oh snap...
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Does anyone know what the team alcohol policy is?

Comment

bc pc bu
            2010-2011 5 12 2
            2009-2010 5 9 1
            2008-2009 6 9 4
            2007-2008 8 7 3
            2006-2007 5 7 4
            2005-2006 4 3 1
            2004-2005 7 6 2
            2003-2004 4 2 1
            2002-2003 9 3 2

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
            Hey, I was prophetic! Point is, if we're looking at how academics plays into this culture of the program thing we're talking about, I'm not sure how many all-academic players we have is the best metric to judge that. Graduation rates, overall academic progress (I believe BU had a perfect 1000 in the albeit ridiculous NCAA APR stat) whether players are actually achieving those grades or if they're inflated by professors, if they're being coddled in easy programs, a la the former Duke basketball player orchestrated sociology degree program. While it's not a good sign that we're lagging in the all-academic department, I wouldn't invest a heck of a lot of stock in it for the purpose of this task force review.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

It's not even funny how easy it is.

edit - Spin spin spin. Now the measure I specified isn't important enough!
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Yeah, no, **** the all-academic team. Means nothing.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

My favorite conspiracy theory is that bu grade deflates so international kids can't transfer once they realize the school doesn't really look Iike the pictures they sent (which were probably BC) since a lot of them enroll without ever visiting first.
                  “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                  Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                  Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                  National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Nick I'm sure that 3.0 doesn't calculate the extreme difficulty of Crayons Glue & Scissors majors!

Grade Deflation!

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      Does anyone know what the team alcohol policy is?
                      They're in favor of it.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        IIRC, the all-academics team is strictly based on GPA, and I would submit it's a heck of a lot easier to pull a 3.0 GPA at Lowell than it is to pull a 3.0 at BU. Grade deflation is a real thing, you know. If we consistently have less than BC, or maybe PC, then you've got a point. But having less than the likes of the lower level state schools in the league, that's not exactly a fair comparison, especially with respect to this case.
                        While mostly a football issue, there is nothing stopping a school from funneling players into specific colleges or majors or classes that are conducive to GPA achievement. I suspect the guys at USC had 3.0's but reading some of those stories about phantom classes and classes comprised of nearly 100% athletes, I'm not sure they could count that high much less earn that GPA.

I'd be concerned about a school with high academic standards never having a kid leave due to bad grades. If the general student population, who didn't get any admissions leniency due to athletic prowess, has kids fail out, then sports teams should too.

And tutoring doesn't solve it all.

Show me a tutoring program that keeps 100% of the players eligible and I'll show you one that is likely taking liberties with the school ethics guidelines.

All that being said, I would hope that admission stats, overall GPA, distribution of majors, feedback from faculty etc. are part of the AD's measurement of any sports team.

If the whole team got a 2.8, had a mix of challenging majors, was matriculating on schedule and the faculty was reporting players were in class, participating and earning the 2.8's then I'd be happier than hearing that we had a blended 3.3 GPA in Kinesiology, wasn't tracking towards graduation and the faculty was concerned the kids were getting too much help from tutors.

Given that, if another school said they had a higher GPA, I would only consider if my school was doing the best they could to fairly educate and grade players. If my team was 35% above a 3.0 I'd cross-reference that to their admission stats and determine if it made sense that our players were just inherently smarter than everybody else's.
                        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          They're in favor of it.
                          I believe they're only allowed to drink on Saturday nights, assuming there's no game Sunday or Monday. Remember the baby tiger incident involved casual drinking on a Sunday afternoon at a bar, and the infamous midweek St. Patricks Day party before the Maine HE semifinal game in 2010.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                            Nick I'm sure that 3.0 doesn't calculate the extreme difficulty of Crayons Glue & Scissors majors!

Grade Deflation!
                            I mean, if Chris Bourque could stay eligible there for even one semester, how tough could the academics there be!?
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              They're in favor of it.
                              Touche! I really am interested in knowing what (if any), policy exists. I suspect the task force might want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                                My favorite conspiracy theory is that bu grade deflates so international kids can't transfer once they realize the school doesn't really look Iike the pictures they sent (which were probably BC) since a lot of them enroll without ever visiting first.
                                That's a ridiculous theory, but I don't know how many international students are coming to BU because they want a leafy campus with a pretty quad. More likely they enroll because of strong business, communications, and science/engineering programs that are applicable wherever they come from.

And because it's actually in Boston.
                                BU '05, '08, '12

Comment

Working...
                                X