Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    But they're NOT filling the stands. When we thought above giving up our season tickets after five years, the geniuses in the ticket office basically said (in as non-chalant a way as possible) "Eh...go ahead. We have tons of people on the waiting list to get your seats." How did that work out? At $32 a pop?
    Give me a break...
    I agree, I should have rephrased it to fill the stands enough. They're getting enough people now that if they dropped prices for everyone and 1K more showed up, it would offset. At the least do some tiered pricing for upper corner seats or something, or offer legitimate deals for crappy games and QF games. And for christ's sake, NO MORE TICKETMASTER. Even when they've offered one or two times $15 tickets, there's still a $2 building fee and another $6-7 TM fee, so that $15 is really much closer to $25. Ridiculous. $32 to a QF game...are you kidding me??
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

my response is always: "Stand up if you can't see." And it's not like I stand the entire game. I only jump up for a goal (or if the puck is deep in the corner, it's a critical moment in the game and/or I can't see)...
      Sorry, while it doesn't affect me often anymore, as a former fan attendee who hated standers, got to reply.

1. Standing doesn't equal support. Standing doesn't equal or increase noise. See plently of standers with their mouths shut, on their cell phones or chatting w/ their buddies.
      2. Who says I can see if I stand up too? People are different heights and some folks can't stand period. Plus when you stand for an exciting moment, our bodies aren't linked so mine rises at the same time. Instead YOU block me seeing "the" moment while I'm trying to stand/see around you.
      3. May your view of an important moment be blocked by a giant.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
      HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

I think that the most effective thing that can be done quickly to address the atmosphere issue is, as ericxdaze posted, to move all the students to one end, and keep them with the band. I also really like the idea of placing people based on what they prefer to do during a game, so standers can be closer to the 118 area while others can be placed closer to center, etc.

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
          Sorry, while it doesn't affect me often anymore, as a former fan attendee who hated standers, got to reply.

1. Standing doesn't equal support. Standing doesn't equal or increase noise. See plently of standers with their mouths shut, on their cell phones or chatting w/ their buddies.
          2. Who says I can see if I stand up too? People are different heights and some folks can't stand period. Plus when you stand for an exciting moment, our bodies aren't linked so mine rises at the same time. Instead YOU block me seeing "the" moment while I'm trying to stand/see around you.
          With respect to what I was talking about about the sit down and shut up attitude, that was when standing and yelling at a ref during a stoppage in play. I do respect that many do not want and can't stand for a whole game, and that's fine with me. But during a stoppage in play, after a goal, etc., jumping up and yelling is entirely acceptable and those who want everyone to treat the place like a lecture hall need to GTFO.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post
            I think that the most effective thing that can be done quickly to address the atmosphere issue is, as ericxdaze posted, to move all the students to one end, and keep them with the band. I also really like the idea of placing people based on what they prefer to do during a game, so standers can be closer to the 118 area while others can be placed closer to center, etc.
            I originally hated that the students were split up, but since spring '09 both have been mostly full, vocal, and standing so I would prefer the status quo. Two separate sections allows for call and response chants, as well as one side to rest their breath without silence in the rink because the other side is chanting.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              I originally hated that the students were split up, but since spring '09 both have been mostly full, vocal, and standing so I would prefer the status quo. Two separate sections allows for call and response chants, as well as one side to rest their breath without silence in the rink because the other side is chanting.
              I do like the call and response, but an issue with the students being so far apart from each other is that it's very difficult to keep chants in sync. Granted, this is a result of the physics of sound in general, but if all the students were together, they'd be more unified in chants, which help with the atmosphere more than call and response at this point. Also, there would be less competing chants, where one side is trying to do one thing while the other trying something else. Just my opinion on the split sections. At WBA, with the closer student sections, everything just seemed more in sync.

Maybe there could be something to teach the crowd the sieve chant or cowbell cheer or something. That would help get the more casual fan involved perhaps?

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post

Jeez...feel the love. You're joking, right? Or maybe you don't understand the use of popular vernacular. "Standing" doesn't mean I stand the entire game for 2 1/2 hours through stoppages, Zamboni resurfaces and mini one-on-one. Have you ever heard the phrase "he brought the crowd to their feet?" I don't mean I just STAND UP for minutes at a time. So are you suggesting I sit there the entire game and never get up once? If not, what exactly are you saying? We have enough laws in this state...would you like to pass another one requiring the use of seat belts at the arena, as if I were on a trans-continental flight??? Should I wear a blinker on my back and turn the signal on when I'm about to get up (even though it's spontaneous - NOT pre-meditated - or don't you understand that, either)? Pretty soon they'll be passing regulations on when we can breathe...

I am so sick of this GD politically correct society. You know what, why don't you just get a press pass and take your pictures and leave the rest of us alone? Or get a high chair. And by the way, I'm 57 years old and have no intention of acting like an old **** (just so that you won't think I'm a wise-*** college student) Nor am I hiding behind "anonymity." I would tell you the same thing to your face at a game.
                Last edited by chickod; 03-13-2012, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Jeez...feel the love. You're joking, right? Or maybe you don't understand the use of popular vernacular. "Standing" doesn't mean I stand the entire game for 2 1/2 hours through stoppages, Zamboni resurfaces and mini one-on-one. Have you ever heard the phrase "he brought the crowd to their feet?" I don't mean I just STAND UP for minutes at a time. So are you suggesting I sit there the entire game and never get up once? If not, what exactly are you saying? We have enough laws in this state...would you like to pass another one requiring the use of seat belts at the arena, as if I were on a trans-continental flight??? Should I wear a blinker on my back and turn the signal on when I'm about to get up (even though it's spontaneous - NOT pre-meditated - or don't you understand that, either)? Pretty soon they'll be passing regulations on when we can breathe...

I am so sick of this GD politically correct society. You know what, why don't you just get a press pass and take your pictures and leave the rest of us alone? Or get a high chair. And by the way, I'm 57 years old and have no intention of acting like an old **** (just so that you won't think I'm a wise-*** college student) Nor am I hiding behind "anonymity." I would tell you the same thing to your face at a game.
                  GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!
                    There's plenty of room over at Mugar for those who want to go to the library. And there are plenty of movie theatres around...heck, you can even go over to Morse Auditorium (is that still there?) and take in a lecture. I did plenty of that when I was in college. Right now we're talking about a hockey game...if I can't show a little enthusiasm then I'll stay home like everyone else. And that's EXACTLY what we have been discussing on this thread (and why there were 2503 [cough cough] there Sunday night - I think they were counting shoes - there were REALLY 1251.5)

Of course, you can always listen to Randy Newman talk about you...

Comment

Nope, not joking and not exaggerating like you. You stand - other people can't see the game, whether they then stand or not. But hey, your experience at the game is clearly more important than theirs, so screw 'em, right?

As for your second paragraph - what the f is politically correct about not being an *** and blocking other fans' views? And you don't use your name on your account so you are hiding.

Yell your lungs out to support the team; don't f over your fellow fans.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                      HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

I seriously don't get you. So when there's a great play and I spontaneously "jump up" and get excited, you're really serious that I should just stay "glued to my seat?" Are you for real? You call that "inconsiderate?" My dad took me to Fenway Park when I was 6. When someone hit a home run, everyone STOOD UP and cheered. It's a "natural" thing for humans, or don't you understand that? I don't recall yelling at everyone to "sit down." I got up like everyone else. Did I see every square inch of the field? No...but we're not in our living room. If you want that experience, fine, go to Channel 702 on DirecTV during Wimbledon and you can see everything from Serena's bra strap showing under her dress to the beads of sweat dripping off Nadal's jaw. And you can watch six matches at once to boot.

You say "what is politically correct" about this? What do you call PROHIBITING me from standing up SPONTANEOUSLY during an exciting moment of a game? Like I said before, if you don't agree with the "fan mentality," sit in the press box where you have an unobstructed view. It's because of people like you that Agganis is a DEAD arena. I UNDERSTAND about being "considerate." I don't INTENTIONALLY try to block people's views. I have already mentioned ad nauseum that it is SPONTANEOUS (look it up - it's in the dictionary). It is NOT pre-meditated! If you think that is "f-ing" over my "fellow fans," then you're an idiot. If you want to sit in a theatre, don't go to a hockey game. Go to your "controlled environment" like the rest of your Orwell/Huxley zombie morons. And I'm done with this pointless "discussion."

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          I suggest we should be able to have a great atmosphere in the arena and still have it be family friendly.
                          Nope..can't do that. You have to sit down at all times...keep your seat belt on and respect those around you. Well, you CAN yell as long as you are sitting down. Of course, that's not inconsiderate...screaming right next to someone's ear directly in front of you. But at least you're not blocking the view of someone behind you. We want to restrain ourselves and not have too much FUN at these games. The RSIG mobility police are watching...
                          Last edited by chickod; 03-13-2012, 07:03 AM.

Comment

For those of you (sadly) too young to remember...watch this incredible video to see what it was like to go to a game before the elitist snobs took over our lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUEHAUJsKDE

This particular clip (stolen from the UNH thread with apologies to C-H-C) was from "Lively Snively" arena back in the 70s...enjoy! Look at the crowd shots...

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              In all of my time in the student sections, I never once saw anyone take out, drink from, or mix a nip into a drink.
                              I have a hard time believing that

DOWN IN FRONT!

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                                I have a hard time believing that

DOWN IN FRONT!

She's probably taller than I anyway...
                                Last edited by chickod; 03-13-2012, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X